Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "I could make that" comment....

The "I could make that" comment....

I used to go to craft shows and when looking at handmade (sewn) items that is the comment I would make, thinking that I would be able to make something comparable and thereby saving my money by not purchasing.. Now, however I've decided that if I see something I like and even tho I know I could make it the reality is; I probably wouldn't attempt it. That being said I am now anxiously awaiting covers for my FW that I purchased on ebay. And they look spectacular, I must say. Even tho I know I could duplicate the covers myself. I find I want to support my fellow crafters, quilters, jewelry makers, etc. I have evolved!!!
    Sandy

I agree! I could make those fabric bowls.....but i wont! I bought one!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I totally agree! By the time I attempt something new, it becomes a one of a kind item. I feel if I buy something at a craft show, I know I am supporting my fellow crafters.
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 03-12-2013 at 04:21 AM.
    Carol in Michigan

All excellent points, my problem is when I think "I could make that" I often can't. So if I want it bad enough I need to just get it cause otherwise it will never happen.

I'm right there with you! I'd never have enough time after work to make all the things I could...I don't mind supporting that hobby with someone else

Years ago there was a cartoon in Reader's Digest. The scene was a craft fair with a sign in one booth that said "Yes, you could make this. But will you?". That's too true.

I have fallen into the "I can make that" syndrome as well! Especially when my children were little, I had many more hours than I had money. I would (and did - lol) try anything back then. As I have gotten older, my time is precious to me and I spend it only on things that I really enjoy doing now. carrieg is correct - when you buy at a craft show - you are supporting a crafter . I would rather support their efforts now than go home and "figure it out".
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I got a whole closet of patterns, and material and ideas of things I was gonna make. Eventually, I might get to a few things there, but I had firgued out a long time ago, I could make it but probably won't. Now my friends who say" Oh, you could make that". They think I am a genius on making things, I know I am not, they must think I have plenty of time and money which I don't. So yes, when I go to some craft/festivals, I have no problem buying an item I like.

I agree, I,m gonna does not usually find it to the top of the list of to do,s.

Power Poster
    I often buy things I could make, if it is something I don't WANT to make.

Blog Entries
    When I see a handmade item I like at a craft show I buy it. I know I can probably make it but why when it's already handmade?
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I can grill a steak and make an apple pie, but sometimes it is nice to let someone else do all the work. I love to support the local artists and crafters as well.
    I know what I thought I was making when I started this quilt, but it has changed several times since then.

I don't have time to make all that I see and like so I buy from those that do. It helps them keep going and I have something new to enjoy or give as a lovely gift.

This is so true! And when you go to a craft fair, don't ask the artist to tell you how it was made, or take pictures so you can go home and make it yourself. So rude! I've been on both sides of the craft table, and it is nice to buy someone else's work when you can. Once I bought a small quilted pad/hanging that I really liked, but it was not really quilted. So I hand quilted it myself and enjoyed working on someone's work. I always admit to admirers that someone else made it, but I did the quilting.

Blog Entries
    I buy crafted items sometimes, and if i can't buy anything i do tell the artist how I love their work and that I know a lot of time went into the making of their items.

I know a lady who was asked to leave a local store which features hand-made local crafts because she was looking at each item and telling her companion how she could make it (and she could- very talented!). She was indignant when the storekeeper asked her to leave because these crafts help support our local folks. I say good for the store owner. Basically, when you closely examine a crafted item and make comments to someone else how to make it, you are stealing!

Elseebee, exactly my thoughts! That's just totally rude. Like saying I can do it-I just needed your idea. Wrong in so many ways.

I used to say that about clothing all the time. When looking for a shirt, skirt or even a gown, I'd think " Oh, I could make that" an I could , but you're right - I didn't. So not only did I not make the shirt I needed, but I never relented and went back to buy it. The result was a very small wardrobe. It finally got so my husband would say, in exasperation, "Would you just go BUY something?". I don't think he meant quilt fabric!!

You are so right

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl View Post
    I used to go to craft shows and when looking at handmade (sewn) items that is the comment I would make, thinking that I would be able to make something comparable and thereby saving my money by not purchasing.. Now, however I've decided that if I see something I like and even tho I know I could make it the reality is; I probably wouldn't attempt it. That being said I am now anxiously awaiting covers for my FW that I purchased on ebay. And they look spectacular, I must say. Even tho I know I could duplicate the covers myself. I find I want to support my fellow crafters, quilters, jewelry makers, etc. I have evolved!!!
    Sandy
    I so agree with you. I so hate it when someone says on seeing another persons work '' Oh I just wouldn't have the patience to do that'' I think then , would you have the skill ? It is so much nicer to just admire, or even say ' wow, I'd love to know how you did that' .I have noticed though that most quilters don't do that. love x

Blog Entries
    Ditto with patterns. Instead of trying to copy a pattern, I buy patterns that someone else has created to support them. They put a lot of work into it, and they deserve to be paid for it!

Blog Entries
    I see it -I buy it. I know how much of one's self goes into hand made/home made items from baked goods to woodcrafts.When I buy things I will ask for their e-mail or phone in case some one see's their crafts at my house I can give them the info to contact the creator.

Because my friends know I am a knitter, often when I wear a sweater someone will ask, "Did you make that?". More often than not my reply is, "No, but I could if I wanted to!"

I have also come to realize, just because I could make it, doesn't mean I will make it. So why not enjoy it now rather than beat myself over the head with one more project I probably won't get around to.

Blog Entries
    I always think about a sign I saw in a booth at a craft show years ago when contemplating a purchase. It said YES YOU CAN MAKE IT AND YES YOU CAN MAKE IT CHEAPER BUT WHEN WILL YOU MAKE IT ? The I often buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    Years ago there was a cartoon in Reader's Digest. The scene was a craft fair with a sign in one booth that said "Yes, you could make this. But will you?". That's too true.
    So true! I could do or make a lot of things myself. I just don't want to. My mom is always saying this to me...You could paint something like that, you could make that, etc. Yeah, but I don't want to! haha

I would rather support another "artist" than try and figure out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    Ditto with patterns. Instead of trying to copy a pattern, I buy patterns that someone else has created to support them. They put a lot of work into it, and they deserve to be paid for it!
    Yes, I soooo agree with you. I have friends who have taken the time to publish their own patterns and I hate the thought of someone ripping them off. These friends don't make a ton of money, either. They're doing it because they love quilting and designing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast