Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have a comment

Hi all, I just want to give a comment here about this board and its' members. It is a warm, friendly, sharing, just plain nice place. You should all be proud of yourselves, truly. You, like I, must have been to some where the members have known each other for years, they catch up on all their family news, problems, whatever and though everyone comes off with big welcomes, glad to have you heres, they slide right back to catching up with each other. Some even have meets where they go to see each other across several states. I would not say there is anything wrong with it, is up to them of course, but the tone is just not condusive to a newbie sticking their nose in the door! I want to compliment and congratulate everyone here who has just kept it as it should be, welcoming, helpful, no one-uppmanship, sharing common interests....."nice". Give yourselves an attaboy and I hope we can hang onto the present tone. It is a pleasant place to visit, at least for me. OK That's all, I'll get off my soapbox! LOL 8) Betty

Hi, Give yourself a clap Becky, you are so right about this board. I was leary about posting and gave it a try. It has been nice and very useful reading all the post. I would like to say HELLO again to all out there. Boy sense I joined not so very long ago, a lot of more have joined all nice with lots of great info. Thanks for all the info, and thanks to a nice and insightful Moderator Boo.

Hi Donna Rae, You definitely get it. I too did a lot of looking and reading before I stuck my neck out. When it came back in one piece I have just continued. LOL I have picked up more ideas and tips in a few days than my last 3 library books! You know what I (really) love about them. Someone else has struggled through the process of getting the bugs out, then goes and takes the time to give us all a heads up how to do it and the pitfalls to look out for. I usually listen to long time quilters as they have done their trial and errors and can save you a lot of grief. Yes, a lot more have joined and I think we will find they will stay too, happily. I am Betty and I am in Florida, but don't hate me for that! I paid my winter dues in New England for many many years. LOL 8)

Boo
    Betty, I hear what you are saying, and appreciate your insights. We are all on the ground floor of this forum, and it is the members who set the tone. It is a warm and sharing room, and you are one of the reasons. :D We are all getting to know each other, and share our experiences and learn from others. With all this experience, no one needs to reinvent the wheel. :!:

QUILTER'S ROCK :thumbup:

I agree with what everyone else is saying. On some of those other borards you just want to keep your mouth shut most of the time. Hey you newbies to sewing and quilting, don't sell yourself short us old people can still learn a thing or two from you.
    Earlene

I agree with all the comments about the warm, friendly people on this board. I just joined in March and being a "newbie" have had a few questions. Everyone has been extremely helpful and I appreciate it.

Thanks to all you nice people out there. :D

I think this board is delightful. I was looking for a quiltmaking board, and none of them were as friendly as this one! Sometimes everyone is very focused on the "best" machines, fabrics, etc. and frankly, I can't afford all of that and I felt a little inferior. I just want to help people enjoy making quilts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    I think this board is delightful. I was looking for a quiltmaking board, and none of them were as friendly as this one! Sometimes everyone is very focused on the "best" machines, fabrics, etc. and frankly, I can't afford all of that and I felt a little inferior. I just want to help people enjoy making quilts!
    never let anyone who has more "things" than you do make you feel inferior. you appreciate honesty, humor, generosity, kindness and all the good things offered by the people here. a person can't appreciate those things unless they possess them already themselves. those are the things that determine a person's worth. therefore ... you must be priceless. :P

try buying them by the yard at any price. you can't.

I agree, I haven't been here long either and the people here have been just wonderful to me. At first I was a bit nervous to post anything. Especially coming from a different country I was a bit worried I might commit a laungage woopsie, but so far so good and if I have committed one the folks here have very politely ignored it :)

Once I got over my nervousness and started to chat to folks, I found some of the most funny uplifting and gererous souls to be had.

Anyhow congrats to all on the BEST Quilting board anywhere. :thumbup:

I must agree with all of you......it's the best place on the 'net! I have been in groups like you described, for a short time. To many rules, to much ignoring of new folks, and lots of depressing "police" to tell a newbie that they don't have the right angle, outlook, or know how.

I love this group and no one will ever be a police person.......right? right? :lol:

Suz
    Ladies and Tim,

Incidentally, where is Tim? Has anyone seen or heard from him?

Very kind words have been spoken here about "we" quilters, but don't you find this with all quilters, not just those of us here, regardless if in the fabric shops or at quilt shows? We are genuinely good folks who are ready and eager to help others. I have often told newbies to find a guild as this is where the good people are and those willing and eager to teach, lead and solve problems.

We have this common bond and are instant "sisters" or "brother(s)" and behave as we have known each other for a long time and I guess, we genuinely have. We speak the same language. Agreed?

Are there any out there from Central PA who would like to meet for lunch?

Suzanne

WE ARE AWESOME! :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimisharon
    I must agree with all of you......it's the best place on the 'net! I have been in groups like you described, for a short time. To many rules, to much ignoring of new folks, and lots of depressing "police" to tell a newbie that they don't have the right angle, outlook, or know how.

I love this group and no one will ever be a police person.......right? right? :lol:
    dunno ... they invited me for an interview. depends on how good the money is.

might be kinda kewl to come around here in QP uniform. I could get PAID to be ignored. i used to have to let my son do that for free.

:wink:

ok Patrice, here's your test..Make a rule or write someone a ticket, if it flies you got the job, if it don't....nanny nanny boo boo. You didn't get the job.

Blog Entries
    you missed the point. it's supposed to work like this:

i police. you ignore me and nothing changes. i get paid anyway.

who could pass up a job like that?
    :mrgreen:

I agree with everyone. I'm a new quilter and no one in my family quilts so I really appreciate the fact that everyone here is so friendly and helpful. I work full time and most of the quilt guilds around here meet during the week so I can't join them. Therefore I really appreciate all of the friendly people here who help me. Keep up the good work girls and Tim. :)

We can be your Online Quilt Guild! Meetings any time of the day or night!

:D

sue

Wehad a small group through my church once upon a time. We met once or twice a month and it was mostly show and tell. The quilts wnt to Birth Choice and the Christian life home (unmarried mothers home. Well another lady joined. then things changed. She said she didn't have time to come and just visit. So we drugmachines up to the church. then she decided we needed to meet twice a month. So we met twice a month. then it got to where I was quilting withe 3 people----me, myself and I. No one else was showing up. When I called each person, they had all decided that it got to be too much. When I contacted the new person, she said that she couldn't come anymore because her boss (she worked at a fabric store) had organized a group and she was going over there.

I guess my point is that this group is very warm and welcoming. No one tries to bully or police us, other than to ask us to be polite and not vulgar (just common courtesy) Everyone is always willing o help and encourage each other--no criticism, just support. I hestitated to join because I was afraid it would be like the group at the church. Everyone was in awe of this lady because she worked a a fabric store in town. They figured she must be something special. But everyone here realizes that we are all united in our love of qulting and all share our joys and sympathize in our not so perfect endeavors . And I appreciate all of you I have a new enthusiasm for quilting and have made some wonderful friends besides. Who could ask for anything more? Except maybe lots of money, good looking men and chocolate :!: :D :D :D

Sounds like a dream job to me! Let me know when you are ready to expand the force. I am ready to sign up. I have plenty of previous experience being ignored -- I have 2 sons that I can't even bribe any longer. I remember the good old days when all it took was a promise of a Hot Wheels car to get them to Wal-Mart with me.... sigh

wishes do come true...I have a DH...good looking... enough $ for fabric when I need it .......but I sure could use some chocolate!

Happy quilting. :wink:

Ditto, Betty. I agree that most of the other boards start out democratically until personal chit-chat, which should be in private messages, monopolizes the board. Personal comments are fine as long as they are directed to the board as a whole, not to an exclusive few. I hope this board stays just the way it is.

As long as Tim and Patrice can fued in fron of everybody :!: :!: :lol:

I agree I tried a guild in my area, went 4 times got nothing out of it. they were all that helpful to a newbie. I felt like I was an intruder so I stopped going.
    This board is the complete reverse. I felt welcomed and it seem as if I had always been here from day 1. Everyone is extremly warm, friendly and helpful.
    I have checked out a few others but wasn't very happy, my home is here and I'm not leaving, (not without a big fight anyway lol) We have just the right amut of chatter and now we have CHIT CHAT what else can we ask for except the choclate. If there was a way to have it here we probably have that too.

Yes Vick I agree that Tim and Patrice should continue there fued in front of us Its are computer soap lol

There's a feud between Tim and Patrice????

Patrice is holding his big toe for rasom check out Tim where are you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast