Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just one comment. "This ain't woodworking buddy"

Blog Entries

Just one comment. "This ain't woodworking buddy"

Due to a multiplicity of events yesterday, I didn't get to start cutting for my first quilt. I did, however, between MD appointments, get to pattern out, cut and sew an arched end dust cover for our hand crank 99K. What was that now?? Oh yeah. 3.1417 times the diameter divide by two plus the side length doubled plus 1/2 inch for seam allowance on the ends and 1/2 inch to the width for the hem. Took a few moments with a calculator to figure the length of the wrap. Sewing the arches was a chore and I can't imagine tackling an inset sleeve.... sheesh. Plywood doesn't crawl ya know. Don

MTS
    Banned
    Hey, anyone that knows that value of Pi (and how to use it) gets a gold star in my book.

I remember watching an episode of the Orange County Choppers years ago - maybe it was while they were making the Spiderman bike - Paul Jr. was talking about the process of cutting the templates - made me crack up.
    Same terminology, same tracing, same cutting, similar application.
    Just different materials and tools.
    It was quite amusing.

If you can, post a picture.

That's why I married a math teacher - he does the math and I do the sewing. If I had to get entagled in Pi and such, the family would die and such. I'm much more famous for eyeballing and measuring using fingers, the width of a hand, length of an arm or whatever is closeby and my projects seem to evolve from first idea to final product.

LOL My ex, a very precise finish carpenter, could never accept that you just can't make butt joints with fabric. I hate to think what he'd have to say about a "scant" quarter inch!!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by Tallbald View Post
    .... sheesh. Plywood doesn't crawl ya know. Don
    Now THAT was funny! (she says as she chokes on her morning coffee reading the post)

Hubby's a retired tinner - I know what you mean!

PS Picture please!!!

Shari

Oh, what about sines, cosines and tangents?
    I used those to make my own Dresden wedge ruler
    Math is so useful!

Blog Entries
    I just use a math app. One of the ones that had to learn how to use a slide rule, an adding machine, manual typewriter, and shorthand in school, and never ever had to use them again, I love technology.
    Got fabric?

This is Penny, Tallbald's wife. He done a great job and it looks wonderful. Very proud of him as always!...
    Penny
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    Miss Penny is partial. When she tells me "baby you're handsome" I smile and tell her "honey you just don't get out of the house enough!".
    Here's photos of our hand crank 99K and the cover I hammered out. Used an ice cream bucket lid to trace the arch. "Yeah. That'll do......." Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Tallbald; 11-15-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Very nice! I need to make a few of those for my babies.

Blog Entries
    love the expression on the dogs face..................lol

Don, I'll forever remember your "Plywood doesn't crawl, y'know!"

I am another one who does math by husband. He can do it all in his head, amazing. I tell him I used to be on the math team in HS (I really was) and he laughs because now I have lost all that.

Married to an engineer who has spent his career working in 1000'ths. OMG - that is close enough - it doesn't have to be exact to within 60 thousandths.... It comes in handy when I need something calculated - but life isn't exact.

I go around the house tilting pictures - just to keep him on his toes. LOL
    I got fabric.... Now I need time .
    Theresa

When I need a circle or half circle, I scrounge around until I find something already in that shape- plate, lid circle cutter. I'm saving my brain cells for stuff that I don't have the templates for! Math is not my area! But I loved that show "Numbers"- go figure! I appreciate the people that can do the math, geometry, trig, etc. - just don't try to explain it to me! Haha
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Good job! I need to make lots of these to cover my babies, for sure! I leave lots of them out and they need good covers. Thanks for sharing and you're right--plywood doesn't crawl!

Years ago my Attorney advised me to start a new home business. I decided to go into woodworking. My then husband laughed and said...Honey, you've never even nailed up a picture on the wall.... My reply...I've been in the sewing business for years, I can't see theres much difference, only wood doesn't bend. I had a faily successful woodworking business, making reproduction antique Baby Cradles. I loved my shop! However, due to relocating, and retireing, am back to my first love....the sewing machine! Sometimes I still yearn for my days and nights alone in my little shop, with christmas lights in the windows, and snow glittering on the ground outside..Such wonderful Peace.

Keep up the good work Don!

Blog Entries
    No, "plywood doesn't bend" and figures don't compute in this pore ol' over-medicated brain of mine. If my quilt pattern doesn't have the figures right and I sew by them, I just pitch it, and go find another pattern for the color combination I have selected. Works for me......and your cover looks great. The only thing, if you ever offer to put up a tute on it, be sure and "make it right".....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

What a beauty! Great job and cheerful. Happy quilting.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    You did a great job on your cover. I cheat. I shortened a pillowcase to go over my babies. Works perfectly. I went to school to be in the band. Math.....ugg! LOL

Well your math is above me. I just cut a strip and sew then cut the remainder off. Nice fit and I like the design on the base of your machine. Can't show that to the grand daughter since she would have to do zebra strips or pink hearts. enjoy that machine there is miles yet to sew.

Power Poster
    I find math useful - just wish I knew more than the basic basics.

I need to make a couple of those too. You did great! I will make mine without all that math stuff. LOL. I'll hold the fabric up to the machine, measure how much I need to go over it, and how wide it needs to be. A few pins and some cutting. A nice bowl or lid for the curve... nothin' to it. The only kind of pi I want to know about has an "e" on the end and comes in a dish!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

A beautiful cover for a beautiful machine. I am drooling over both.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    Hey, anyone that knows that value of Pi (and how to use it) gets a gold star in my book.

I remember watching an episode of the Orange County Choppers years ago - maybe it was while they were making the Spiderman bike - Paul Jr. was talking about the process of cutting the templates - made me crack up.
    Same terminology, same tracing, same cutting, similar application.
    Just different materials and tools.
    It was quite amusing.

If you can, post a picture.
    Wanna know a close approximation of a fraction that almost equals pi???????????? 22/7
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast