Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I just discovered... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-just-discovered-t260464.html)

Learner747 01-28-2015 06:54 PM

I just discovered...

I recently was surfing television programs and noticed one entitled "The Artful Detective". So I watched it out of curiosity and found a very interesting mystery show. It takes place in 1899 in Toronto Canada.
Have any of you seen it?

sandy l 01-29-2015 03:59 AM

Yes I have seen it and really enjoy it.

sandy l 01-29-2015 04:46 AM

Another good show from Canada is/was called "Corner Gas". One of the quirkiest, funniest shows I've seen. I found it on WGN from Chicago about 4-5 years ago.

tapper 01-29-2015 05:02 AM

In our area we have Murdoch Mysteries. It is the same setting and characters. It has been showing on CBC Canada for several years. I love the show! It is based on a series written by Maureen Jennings. The show has story-lines involving historic characters...Alexander G. Bell, Winston Churchill, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are a few and Murdoch uses modern-day science to solve murders and mysteries. Great entertainment.

Roberta 01-29-2015 05:52 AM

Now watching Monarch of the Glen on Netflix. Really cute show about a Scottish castle and the family in charge. Watched many episodes and more to go. I'll be sad when it ends.

Seaside gal 01-29-2015 06:25 AM

Wish I could see it. Sounds good. I used to watch "Corner Gas". It was such a cute funny show. The characters were delightful.

Trisher 01-29-2015 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 7068463)
Another good show from Canada is/was called "Corner Gas". One of the quirkiest, funniest shows I've seen. I found it on WGN from Chicago about 4-5 years ago.

I am so glad you liked Corner Gas! I thought maybe you had to be from the Canadian prairies to get the humour, but I guess not! But being from Indiana, I guess you are a prairie girl too. :)

oh munner 01-29-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747 (Post 7068244)
I recently was surfing television programs and noticed one entitled "The Artful Detective". So I watched it out of curiosity and found a very interesting mystery show. It takes place in 1899 in Toronto Canada.
Have any of you seen it?

Is this a PBS series?

QuiltE 01-29-2015 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747 (Post 7068244)
Have any of you seen it?

Like Tapper mentioned, it sounded to me, so much like Murdoch Mysteries and I had never heard of it.
I googled and BINGO, they have re-named it south of the border. Wonder Why?

Starring role is to Yannick Bisson.
Adding to Tapper's summary, they have also had many guest appearances by other current actors/actresses, public figures and politicians. For those familiar with the Toronto area, there are many mentions of local historic lore, sites and names, along with world events at the turn of the century.

Well written, staged and presented ... yes, a favourite of mine!
And so glad that many others enjoy it too.

Corner Gas ... another hit, from the past. I've been enjoying the re-runs as it seems
I didn't watch it much when it was current.

Onebyone 01-29-2015 10:23 AM

These are all some of my favorite period shows I watch on Roku. Foyley's War , Forsyte Saga, Wives and Daughters, The Way We Live Now, MiddleMarch, He Knew He was Right, Ridicule, Lark Rise to Candleford, Monarch of the Glen, and all of the Jane Austin. Did you see Death at Pemberly on PBS a few weeks ago? It was wonderful.