Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I just discovered...

Blog Entries

I just discovered...

I recently was surfing television programs and noticed one entitled "The Artful Detective". So I watched it out of curiosity and found a very interesting mystery show. It takes place in 1899 in Toronto Canada.
    Have any of you seen it?

Blog Entries
    Yes I have seen it and really enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    Another good show from Canada is/was called "Corner Gas". One of the quirkiest, funniest shows I've seen. I found it on WGN from Chicago about 4-5 years ago.

In our area we have Murdoch Mysteries. It is the same setting and characters. It has been showing on CBC Canada for several years. I love the show! It is based on a series written by Maureen Jennings. The show has story-lines involving historic characters...Alexander G. Bell, Winston Churchill, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are a few and Murdoch uses modern-day science to solve murders and mysteries. Great entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Now watching Monarch of the Glen on Netflix. Really cute show about a Scottish castle and the family in charge. Watched many episodes and more to go. I'll be sad when it ends.

Blog Entries
    Wish I could see it. Sounds good. I used to watch "Corner Gas". It was such a cute funny show. The characters were delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Another good show from Canada is/was called "Corner Gas". One of the quirkiest, funniest shows I've seen. I found it on WGN from Chicago about 4-5 years ago.
    I am so glad you liked Corner Gas! I thought maybe you had to be from the Canadian prairies to get the humour, but I guess not! But being from Indiana, I guess you are a prairie girl too.

Quote Originally Posted by Learner747 View Post
    I recently was surfing television programs and noticed one entitled "The Artful Detective". So I watched it out of curiosity and found a very interesting mystery show. It takes place in 1899 in Toronto Canada.
    Have any of you seen it?
    Is this a PBS series?

Quote Originally Posted by Learner747 View Post
    Have any of you seen it?
    Like Tapper mentioned, it sounded to me, so much like Murdoch Mysteries and I had never heard of it.
    I googled and BINGO, they have re-named it south of the border. Wonder Why?

Starring role is to Yannick Bisson.
    Adding to Tapper's summary, they have also had many guest appearances by other current actors/actresses, public figures and politicians. For those familiar with the Toronto area, there are many mentions of local historic lore, sites and names, along with world events at the turn of the century.

Well written, staged and presented ... yes, a favourite of mine!
    And so glad that many others enjoy it too.

Corner Gas ... another hit, from the past. I've been enjoying the re-runs as it seems
    I didn't watch it much when it was current.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

These are all some of my favorite period shows I watch on Roku. Foyley's War , Forsyte Saga, Wives and Daughters, The Way We Live Now, MiddleMarch, He Knew He was Right, Ridicule, Lark Rise to Candleford, Monarch of the Glen, and all of the Jane Austin. Did you see Death at Pemberly on PBS a few weeks ago? It was wonderful.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Murdoch mysteries and Artful Detective are the same show. I love this show! I love the main character, all the characters are good, but he is especially good, he also played in Sue Thomas FB Eye, another good show. But Murdoch mysteries are great, I love to see the period clothing and the way the town and buildings looked.

PS The actors name is Yannick Bisson who plays in Murdoch Mysteries aka Artful Detective

Blog Entries
    Oh no i've not seen that one. Was it on PBS?

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    In our area we have Murdoch Mysteries. It is the same setting and characters. It has been showing on CBC Canada for several years. I love the show! It is based on a series written by Maureen Jennings. The show has story-lines involving historic characters...Alexander G. Bell, Winston Churchill, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are a few and Murdoch uses modern-day science to solve murders and mysteries. Great entertainment.
    I watched all the episodes on Netflix...love that show.....wonder when new season releases will come out.
    My GD and me love that show

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    Is this a PBS series?
    Here in the Central Time Zone it is on Dish's "Ovation Network" daily at 1 p.m. with a new episode every Saturday evening. Murdock is an intriguing character my personal favorite is George.

Bisson also stars in The Adventures of Napkin Man, a kids show ... talk about a complete change of pace and character.

Here's a quote from the show's website .......
    "The Adventures of Napkin Man helps children get in touch with their strong negative feelings, and gives them fun and effective strategies to calm down in the moment, and to then problem-solve ways to handle emotionally charged situations in the future," says Dr. Lynn Oldershaw, developmental psychologist at Kids' CBC. "It also helps children recognize emotions in others and develop empathy which we know to play such a key role in their future social interactions and relationships."
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    Now watching Monarch of the Glen on Netflix. Really cute show about a Scottish castle and the family in charge. Watched many episodes and more to go. I'll be sad when it ends.
    I watched a few of those on TV over the years.... really love Molly!

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I watched a few of those on TV over the years.... really love Molly!
    Monarch of the Glen was Sunday night viewing for me when it was shown here in Scotland, I loved it from beginning to end.

Love Larkrise to Candleford! And have seen most of the others mentioned....but not The Artful Detective, going to look it up now. Hope I can get it.
    Do not worry about the past, for it is history,
    Do not worry about the future, for it is a mystery,
    Only live for today, for it is a gift, that is why it is called "the present."

Blog Entries

*** Yes, and I live it.

J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Just made note of all these great sounding programs. Now to find the time to watch them. HA! Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I think that's the same as Murdoch mysteries only under a different name - I know it goes under a few titles. I live in the Toronto area so love that it highlights areas of the city long before I was born.

Blog Entries
    Murdoch Mysteries is available in Canada on CBC with new shows airing on Mondays. It is also available to watch on the CBC website. I do not know how many episodes are available online and if US viewers can see them.

It was originally produced by Global. They dropped the show and CBC picked it up about three years ago.

I loved when Murdoch and George went to NFLD (its own country back then) and there was a reveal about the Aunts who raised George.

In the current season women's rights are an ongoing theme.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I think the actor that plays George.....Jonny Harris....... is originally from Newfoundland.

I loved watching Monarch of the Glen. Now, I'm really enjoying The British Baking Contest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast