Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has This Happened To Anyone Else??

Has This Happened To Anyone Else??

Howdy y'all

I'm not going to name the site because I know that's taboo here. But there is a particular quilting site that I have gone to several times to enter sweepstakes they've had there. But they require you to give your phone number, and every time I've given it, I will get calls from telemarketers for weeks! I've started to put down the number of an old landline I used to have instead of my cell phone number, just to keep the junk calls from starting up again! I figure if they have my email address as well as my snail mail, then they can contact me if I win! Has anyone else had this problem?

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

Blog Entries
    your old land line number is somebody else's new land line number.
    you have unwittingly doomed her to get all of "your" junk calls.

i wonder what would happen if you used the site's customer contact number instead. LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

When sites ask for phone numbers - and won't let you continue without so doing - I just make up a number. You need to use an actual area code (so I use my actual) and then 555 and xxxx. I get way, way too many nuisance calls already. Don't need to add to the mix. If a phone number is required to progress on a site, I don't give them one at all.

Never enter sweepstakes.Or enter for free anything.They just want your numbers to sell.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    When sites ask for phone numbers - and won't let you continue without so doing - I just make up a number. You need to use an actual area code (so I use my actual) and then 555 and xxxx. I get way, way too many nuisance calls already. Don't need to add to the mix. If a phone number is required to progress on a site, I don't give them one at all.
    Even when I write a check and they ask for my phone number, I have a special phony (get it?) number. I heard once that we don't have to ever give out our phone number because it is an invasion of privacy. We pay for that number, we don't have to give it out. I remember once I bought a whole weeks worth of groceries and they asked for my phone number - I said it was unlisted, I don't give it out. "We require a phone number". I said "That is against the law and is an invasion of privacy" and walked out. They had to uncheck all the food I bought and put everything away. I'll show my driver's license and that is it. If it isn't good enough for them, they aren't good enough for me. Iwill say this, though, and that is more people working in the store won't require one if you're ;nice. Actually, one of the people that asked me for my phone number and I said no, told me that they have to have A NUMBER to open the cash register. So that was how I started making up my "phon-y" number. I also told my husband - don't ever give out our phone number - better walk out of the store. Another place I don't go to is a place that will not accept a check. If my check isn't any good to you, why would my cash? Don't get me going here!!!!! Have a good day.Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    And sell they do!! SO entered some contest and since then he has been put (it seems) on every charity list there is wanting money. He's been re-cycling a whole lot of trees

When paying by check and the cashier is asking for a phone number, that information is required to them by the INSURANCE company that insures them against bad checks. I'm sure they probably can't open a register without that info. But nothing says it needs to be the actual one!

How about giving them your area code and then 111-1111 or something like that? Perhaps tell them that you no longer have a phone due to rates going up??

dd
    I've tried putting in my area code and all 0's but that didn't work.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    When paying by check and the cashier is asking for a phone number, that information is required to them by the INSURANCE company that insures them against bad checks. I'm sure they probably can't open a register without that info. But nothing says it needs to be the actual one!
    If they need a phone # to open the drawer, tell the cashier to use their # and see what they do! I never give info out and try very hard to not shop at stores that require this info. And your address is right on the check so they can find you if they need to. It is all just info gathering to sell. So these businesses are not only taking your money they sell that info to make more money. Not a very customer friendly thing to do IMHO.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

There are a couple of shopping sites I've gone to that make you log in before you can even shop their wares. You have to give them your name, email, etc. to create a userid. As soon as I see that I just go elsewhere. I understand some of them have great deals but I'll never know as long as they have that policy.
    Pat

I am on the Do Not Call list, but if 'they' get your number in the manner stated above, you are free game! I DO answer those 'junk' calls & tell them to remove my #. When asked for money, I tell them 'I only give locally' If I have a message on the machine. Many times I call back & if you listen, there is a message there 'if you want to discontinue receiving calls, press 1 or2...

Power Poster
    Yes it has happened to me. I no longer enter any contests online.

Do not pay with checks in retail stores, do not give out phone number. If it's required then I agree, make up a number. Also don't forget to register your real phone numbers with the "do not call registry". Just google it and you will find it. You have to re-do it every couple years.

I enter contest all the time and win a lot of free items during the year. I've yet to enter under my real name or ever entered my real phone number. I use a free email account just for entering or registering on sites. If I win, I get an email. I send the address where to send the item. All you need to do is fill in the blanks with something. Reminds me of when I was divorced and had trouble with ex's medical insurance and my insurance when filing claims for the kids. My insurance wouldn't accept the fact ex had lapsed insurance, kept filing on it wanting it to pay first. Finally after filling out the forms for the fourth time it kept asking for Father's name and insurance. In frustration I put Father: Unknown. The bill was paid and no more hassles from then on.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 01-27-2015 at 06:09 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I do realize that people of a different age and time would never even consider this BUT I pay for my phone for my use. It is not there for you. If I do not know your name/number (caller ID) I will not answer. Period.

I know, my grandmother would consider that the height of rudeness, but it is a different world, same if someone knocks on the door.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Years ago, a friend was asked for employment info when she was cashing a check....she said she was a prostitute and her husband was in prison. True story. And when our state had drivers license renewals issued on punched cards, someone presented it for payment and the merchant cashed it! Once, I attended an auction and was asked for my SS# at registration...I refused, told them it was illegal...they insisted...I left.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. Like "get this free'. You then are inundated with nothing but telemktrs. I don't need anything that bad for free. Free always comes with a price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
    Never enter sweepstakes.Or enter for free anything.They just want your numbers to sell.

I just smile and say I don't have a phone and leave it at that. No one has ever turned me and my money away. I expect they have their own dummy number to input.

On the other hand I do give my zip code if they ask and I'm shopping out of town. They use those demographics when adding more stores. If I'm shopping there it is a store I'd like to have in my area. Win Win.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    I know, my grandmother would consider that the height of rudeness, but it is a different world, same if someone knocks on the door.
    I know what you mean. When I'm getting out of shower and the phone rings or there's a knock at the door, I have a knee-jerk reaction to respond, but then I remind myself that I don't *have* to respond to someone just because they want my attention.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    I just cancelled my land line and one hour later got a call on my cell phone which is only for my emergencies in my car! go figure.

Blog Entries
    If you give them your phone number you are granting permission to sell or otherwise profit from it. It cancels your "do not call" registration. FYI- the "Do Not Call" number to protect you from sales calls and texts, is 1 (888) 382-1222. You must call from the phone you want to protect, so if there is more than one number in your home, be sure to call from each number. I have used it for years and it really works!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    use your area code and 555-1212, that 's the number for information.
    When a store wants info for their 'rewards' card, I use their ad and put in their address and phone number. I only give my correct email I can get the coupons.

Blog Entries
    I don't give my number out on the computer. I close the page. And I only answer the phone to numbers I know -the rest can go to the machine. I tried being polite and telling telemarketers to delete my # but they still call anyways.

I go to a lot of different types of "shows"...antiques, hunting & fishing, quilts, etc. Often, there will be vendors there selling home improvements. When stopped by them I always tell them "my landlord won't let me...(install new windows, gutters, etc.)". Stops them cold...

My absolute favorite nuisance call is from "Windows" (yes, I know it is a scam). When they start in, I tell them that yes, I have windows, need new ones, but want the ones that tilt in to clean, have permanent screens, are tinted...they hang up on me quickly.

If you do answer a sales call and they ask you to say, "push #2 to opt out or stop these calls" DO NOT DO IT! This confirms to the company that they have reached a working phone and the calls will continue. Best to just hang up.

Also, if you have any type of credit card (not sure if debit cards work this way), you can and will receive calls from "card holder services" (gee...how many of us know Rachel???) about lowering your interest rates, etc. Being on the Do Not Call list means nothing. Because you have a card, you agree to get these calls. I have spoken with both MasterCard and Visa about the calls and they have told me it is written in the list of "rules" etc., you receive when you first got the card. You have agreed to the calls when you signed up for the card. Only way to stop these calls...cancel the card. Except then you will get the calls asking you to "come back"...a no win situation.

I've noticed that a lot of the so-called "contests" are not contests at all. You have agreed to a "time share" sales opportunity ("you have won an all expense paid weekend at XXX Resort", a free 3 day cruise, etc.). Different companies are using these tactics (Cabela's, LL Bean, Bass Pro to name a few) and unless you read the small print on the back of their "contest" form (front usually says something like "Win a $500 gift card or shopping spree to XXX") you won't be aware that you have just opened yourself up to calls. Being on the Do Not Call list won't stop these calls because you agreed to receive them just by signing up to win that gift card. The stores do award the gift card to a winner, but the "sales" company gets so many more names to hassle!
    Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 01-27-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast