Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Japanese Beetles vs. roses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/japanese-beetles-vs-roses-t197148.html)

Tartan 08-09-2012 11:38 AM

Japanese Beetles vs. roses

The Japanese Beetles are winning hands down! They had stripped almost every leaf off of a few of my rose bushes before I noticed. I only have a couple of late blooming roses in my rose garden but they won't be blooming this year. I am checking all my bushes and picking them off to give the bushes a chance to put out new leaves. Can a rose bush survive with just stems and the rose hips? I have never seen the Japanese Beetles as bad as this year.
The reason I went out to check is from watching a new report on the grape vines from a local winery. The beetles are eating through the leaves and the winery is worried about the grape harvest. Apparently they are high class beetles and like the Chardonnay grape leaves the best. Well they seem to have a appetite for my roses too. Bad beetles!

Sandra in Minnesota 08-09-2012 01:07 PM

I used to grow roses as a hobby. Never had to fight Japanese Beetles, but a lot of other challenges came my way. Sorry to hear about them. It takes a lot of love and caring, and then come and wipe you out! Bad Bad Bad Beetles!

fairydawn 08-09-2012 01:49 PM

I occasionally have to resort to spraying my roses with Sevin. Only saw 2 Japanese beetles this year but then had a strange little worm that was devouring them. Seems like the bad bug population is increasing.

DogHouseMom 08-09-2012 03:06 PM

We are fortunate enough to live next to a guy that has a lot of grape vines so the Beetles usually go to his house for dinner and leave my flowers alone. I'll see a few on my Hibiscus, but never too many to cause alarm (or chemicals).

Nanamoms 08-09-2012 03:47 PM

Who (or What) can say NO to "Wine and Roses"!! LOL -- Just couldn't resist!

I know it's sad to lose roses and the grapes leaves. Hopefully, they will both come back healthy!!

Tartan 08-09-2012 05:54 PM

Yes, they are very high class beetles. Wine and roses...hilarious! Thanks Nanamoms it helps to laugh.

Lori S 08-09-2012 06:12 PM

I have the same issue .. finally broke down and used the "dust". Hated to do it but .. hated the beetles and the distruction more.

sew4nin 08-09-2012 08:15 PM

I had a similar problem last year. Finally broke down and used spray. I hated to do it. This year the roses were no worse for the wear to begin with. I kept a close watch and picked the beetles off as they showed up, a couple at time. Then, I had trouble with sawflies and had to resort to spray AGAIN! My roses must be pretty resiliant cuz they keep blooming despite the trouble with pests and this horrible, dry, hot weather. Good Luck.
- If I drink enough wine, I won't care about the roses!

gotta-sew 08-09-2012 08:26 PM

I have two rose bushes, so far so good. But I am remembering something about using liquid dish soap or Avon's skin so soft. I remember spraying it on and all was well. good luck

laurafet 08-10-2012 05:51 AM

My dad taught me a long time ago that the way to keep japanese beetles off your roses and other plants is to get a few of those "beetle bags" that they are attracted to- and put them in the neighbors yards!!