Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Japanese Beetles vs. roses

Power Poster

Japanese Beetles vs. roses

The Japanese Beetles are winning hands down! They had stripped almost every leaf off of a few of my rose bushes before I noticed. I only have a couple of late blooming roses in my rose garden but they won't be blooming this year. I am checking all my bushes and picking them off to give the bushes a chance to put out new leaves. Can a rose bush survive with just stems and the rose hips? I have never seen the Japanese Beetles as bad as this year.
    The reason I went out to check is from watching a new report on the grape vines from a local winery. The beetles are eating through the leaves and the winery is worried about the grape harvest. Apparently they are high class beetles and like the Chardonnay grape leaves the best. Well they seem to have a appetite for my roses too. Bad beetles!

Blog Entries
    I used to grow roses as a hobby. Never had to fight Japanese Beetles, but a lot of other challenges came my way. Sorry to hear about them. It takes a lot of love and caring, and then come and wipe you out! Bad Bad Bad Beetles!

I occasionally have to resort to spraying my roses with Sevin. Only saw 2 Japanese beetles this year but then had a strange little worm that was devouring them. Seems like the bad bug population is increasing.

We are fortunate enough to live next to a guy that has a lot of grape vines so the Beetles usually go to his house for dinner and leave my flowers alone. I'll see a few on my Hibiscus, but never too many to cause alarm (or chemicals).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Who (or What) can say NO to "Wine and Roses"!! LOL -- Just couldn't resist!

I know it's sad to lose roses and the grapes leaves. Hopefully, they will both come back healthy!!

Power Poster
    Yes, they are very high class beetles. Wine and roses...hilarious! Thanks Nanamoms it helps to laugh.

I have the same issue .. finally broke down and used the "dust". Hated to do it but .. hated the beetles and the distruction more.

I had a similar problem last year. Finally broke down and used spray. I hated to do it. This year the roses were no worse for the wear to begin with. I kept a close watch and picked the beetles off as they showed up, a couple at time. Then, I had trouble with sawflies and had to resort to spray AGAIN! My roses must be pretty resiliant cuz they keep blooming despite the trouble with pests and this horrible, dry, hot weather. Good Luck.
    - If I drink enough wine, I won't care about the roses!

I have two rose bushes, so far so good. But I am remembering something about using liquid dish soap or Avon's skin so soft. I remember spraying it on and all was well. good luck

My dad taught me a long time ago that the way to keep japanese beetles off your roses and other plants is to get a few of those "beetle bags" that they are attracted to- and put them in the neighbors yards!!

Blog Entries
    My mom used to spray soapy water on her roses. Employee at a yard & garden shop told me to use Neem oil, apparently it's considered safe and organic?? Does anyone know if this is true?

I have japanese beetle problems too. They will eat thru a rose bud that didn't even get a chance to open!! My dh goes out there and knocks the bugs off into water and some solution. I on the other hand as soon as the bud begins to open I cut it and bring it in and then I get to enjoy it and NOT the bugs.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I spray my roses with bleach water. I had about 1/2 cup to a cup of bleach in a spray bottle of water and it works pretty good
    Pam Riggs

The japanese beetles are really bad this year. They are eating the roses and even there buds. I just got some roses powder and will be putting it on today. Had tries rose spray, but didn't have much luck with it. Sure hope the powder works. I have been cutting my roses as soon as they open . But some times that is not even fast enough.

I haven't had trouble with beetles. I did have to move my rose bush last year. My neighbor planted a walnut tree several years after I planted the rose bush. Walnut trees create a toxin that kills other plants. The rose was in it's drip line and not doing well. I wasn't sure if my 30 year old rose would transplant well but it is surviving. It had 3 small flowers on it this year. It acts like a brand new bush and not a 30 year old bush.

dawn dish soap mixed with water in a YELLOW container will attract these buggers and they will drown.......hint from a "green" gardener I know......I guess I want to know why all of a sudden we all are being attacked by these things.........Last year I used a product from Bayer...it was systemic, so it went into the ground and killed the larvae and it seemed to work...saved my rose of sharon this year.......

get one of those bag to catch the beetles and never let them out.

get one of those bags to catch the beetles and never let them out. I think you can get them at a nursery

Power Poster
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Japanese Beetles attacking your roses. I had a similar problem and the darn things ate the rose buds before they could open and they also ate the leaves. I'm afraid your rose bushes may not come back unless you can get rid of the beetles before they eat all your leaves. The only thing worse than Japanese beetles eating your beautiful roses is having your dog eat them. LOL I am serious about this, apparently the thorns didn't present a problem for Tara (should have named her Terror). Good luck with your roses.

The roses should survive just fine, with just canes/stems BUT you should remove the rose hips, as they draw nutrients from the plant. Trim the canes/stems way back, to just above a node (this is where it'll send out new branches). Cut at an angle, so that the rain runs off. Trimming the bushes way back, will ease the stress of nurturing a larger plant. This will give them a better chance to recover, once the beetles are under control.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

If you can buy it in your area, get milky spore disease.
    I have read, it ONLY killls Japanese beetles.
    Harms nothing else.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Have you tried planting garlic around your rose bushes? I planted a new rose bed last year and again another new one this year. Planted garlic around the 1st bed and never have had any bug problems from them. The other bed so far hasn't had any bug problem but I'll plant my garlic this fall around them just the same. In my veggie garden, I planted marigolds around the diameter of the garden to keep the bugs at bay. I had problems with our neighborhood rabbits jumping over my chicken wire fence to help themselves but since the marigolds have grown tall over the main entrance, they have quite helping themselves.

Suz in Iowa

Power Poster

Question

[QUOTE=Tartan;5429206]The Japanese Beetles are winning hands down! They had stripped almost every leaf off of a few of my rose bushes before I noticed. I only have a couple of late blooming roses in my rose garden but they won't be blooming this year. I am checking all my bushes and picking them off to give the bushes a chance to put out new leaves. Can a rose bush survive with just stems and the rose hips? I have never seen the Japanese Beetles as bad as this year.
    The reason I went out to check is from watching a new report on the grape vines from a local winery. The beetles are eating through the leaves and the winery is worried about the grape harvest. Apparently they are high class beetles and like the Chardonnay grape leaves the best. Well they seem to have a appetite for my roses too. Bad beetles!
    l.
    [/QUOTE

I had the same problem this year with roses and grapes. I found that spraying with Seven kept them under control. My neighbor had her roses ate down to bare sticks last year. She cut them back and they grew back this year. She sprayed with Seven early this year and like me has been able to keep them under control. Good Luck with the battle.