Japanese Beetles vs. roses

Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 AM

If you can buy it in your area, get milky spore disease.
I have read, it ONLY killls Japanese beetles.
Harms nothing else.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Have you tried planting garlic around your rose bushes? I planted a new rose bed last year and again another new one this year. Planted garlic around the 1st bed and never have had any bug problems from them. The other bed so far hasn't had any bug problem but I'll plant my garlic this fall around them just the same. In my veggie garden, I planted marigolds around the diameter of the garden to keep the bugs at bay. I had problems with our neighborhood rabbits jumping over my chicken wire fence to help themselves but since the marigolds have grown tall over the main entrance, they have quite helping themselves.

Suz in Iowa
Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Question

[QUOTE=Tartan;5429206]The Japanese Beetles are winning hands down! They had stripped almost every leaf off of a few of my rose bushes before I noticed. I only have a couple of late blooming roses in my rose garden but they won't be blooming this year. I am checking all my bushes and picking them off to give the bushes a chance to put out new leaves. Can a rose bush survive with just stems and the rose hips? I have never seen the Japanese Beetles as bad as this year.
The reason I went out to check is from watching a new report on the grape vines from a local winery. The beetles are eating through the leaves and the winery is worried about the grape harvest. Apparently they are high class beetles and like the Chardonnay grape leaves the best. Well they seem to have a appetite for my roses too. Bad beetles!
l.
[/QUOTE

I had the same problem this year with roses and grapes. I found that spraying with Seven kept them under control. My neighbor had her roses ate down to bare sticks last year. She cut them back and they grew back this year. She sprayed with Seven early this year and like me has been able to keep them under control. Good Luck with the battle.