Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? .. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/late-50s-early-60-s-clothing-t218040.html)

stitchinwitch 04-02-2013 04:03 AM

Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? ..

'Just wondering, if there was a dress shop in your town that only carried those dresses in the style of the 50's and 60's, would you shop there? If you saw the movie, "Corrina, Corrina", Whoopie was wearing the style. Those dresses made a woman look like a woman, were feminine, cute, and no boobs were hanging out!! What are your thoughts?

alwayslearning 04-02-2013 04:40 AM

Oh goodness, no boobs hanging out? Is that legal today? Apparently, the lack of imagination is rampant in the younger generation, but that is no excuse for grown women wearing such revealing clothes. It makes me sad to see someone like Barbara Walters degrading herself by succumbing to style. I do have to giggle a bit when the so-called conservative Christian women go around hanging out. Where is the mystery?

janRN 04-02-2013 04:48 AM

I'm not so much into dresses but I'd love to find some shirts that come below the waist--they're always too short (and I'm not a tall person). I love long tunic style shirts and they're difficult to find. As for boobs hanging out, mine don't hang out they hang down!

quiltstringz 04-02-2013 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 5971983)
I'm not so much into dresses but I'd love to find some shirts that come below the waist--they're always too short (and I'm not a tall person). I love long tunic style shirts and they're difficult to find. As for boobs hanging out, mine don't hang out they hang down!

Ok that was a good one! Started my day out with a laugh. I don't think I would go for 50s or 60s dresses but then I can't remember the last time I had a dress on. I do agree that I would love to find long tunic style shirts.

Jan in VA 04-02-2013 06:28 AM

Those 50's shirtwaist dresses with a belt could be handy for tucking in those soggy-sock-hanging-boobies. :D

Jingle 04-02-2013 07:43 AM

At 67 I am too old to want to show off any body parts. I just want close to the neck tops, I don't wear dresses. I hate the scoop neck tops, when I bend over it shows to my waist. Hard to find what I want to wear. I wore the 50s and 60s clothes, back in the day.

crafty pat 04-02-2013 07:49 AM

I did a lot of sewing my clothes back then and kept all my patterns. I am now seeing them come back in pattern catalogs and in some ready made clothes. I loved the long tunics, but my old patterns are way to small for me now.

QuiltnNan 04-02-2013 08:23 AM

my friends and i were just discussing the modesty issue this morning. and when i was passing by the patterns at walmart, i saw a couple of dresses that reminded me of the 60's. as to your shop suggestion, no, i don't think i'd shop there.

SherriB 04-02-2013 02:39 PM

I am probably strange but I would shop there. I was born in 1965 and don't remember the styles personally, but I love how women looked back then. My older DD would shop there and the clothes would be right up her alley. She often tells me she was born in the wrong year. She is only 26. LOL!! Plus she is thin as a rail so they would look awesome on her.

momto5 04-02-2013 03:17 PM

Dresses????????????????