Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   May I ask a hat question here? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/may-i-ask-hat-question-here-t119905.html)

Pat G 05-03-2011 02:50 PM

I saw an interview on TV the other day in the shop where the queen's hats are made. They only have I think about 3 employees. They make a lot of those odd hats. The queen's hats have to completely match the clothes she wears. What a business that must be! Wonder what they charge the queen for a hat? LOL

mayday 05-06-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
Fergie's daughters had the worse looking hats. The blue and the beige.

too true, they looked a figure of fun and the blue dress looked as tho it had been half tucked in her knickers!

jpthequilter 05-06-2011 10:43 PM

Are you forgetting those thin elastics they used to put on hats years and years ago?
They hurt and were torture to us little girls in our Easter bonnets!

jpthequilter 05-06-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jane2
does anyone have a pattern for making a fascinator? Would love to give it try! Had to wear hat to church when younger. Mom said it was a great way to cover up a messy hair-do, just as gloves used to cover work-toiled and stained or rough hands. Jane

The only "Fascinators" I ever heard of were NOT hats.
They were beautiful very loosly knitted long rectangles of cloudlike yarn that we wore draped over our head and around our shoulders, around 1947. Mostly pastel colors.
Your mom was right!
I wonder how the mix up happened? I think some fashion "expert" misspoke or a definition got mixed up by a computer. Look it up on Google. JP

jpthequilter 05-06-2011 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls

Originally Posted by LoriEl
Got me. But my mom said that the ladies were supposed to wear hats to the wedding so...

And white gloves ?

Yes, gloves to be proper, but not usually white, instead matching the outfit for ladies. For men, white military, like our marines.

jpthequilter 05-06-2011 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR

Originally Posted by Maureen's violets

Originally Posted by Dodee
More - I think companies who started that "dress down Friday" did a lot of damage to society.
Dodee

I agree.

I don't understand how that can possibly be true.

When the companies first started it, it was neat, like jeans and a pullover knit shirt or a dress instead of a business suit....and was judged "more comfortable".

jskbloomers 05-07-2011 08:21 AM

I spend summer weekends at the lake, so I wear hats all summer long. If I don't, that pretty color in my hair will go away..... My hats are wide & small brimmed, baseball caps, and my favorite is my open weave straw fedora that I bought in Panama in January 1975.

Ldydrifter 05-08-2011 07:37 PM

I think I heard one of the commentators say that the Queen requested that the women wear hats. With the exception of Fergie's daughters I loved seeing the hats. Hope it renews some interest in them in this country again.(other than baseball caps)please.