Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Misty is now in her new home - Another ???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/misty-now-her-new-home-another-t138327.html)

hobbykat1955 07-17-2011 12:52 PM

Maybe if you turn a radio or TV in the rm where she is, on low...This might make her feel she's not alone. I agree if they both or one has claws...I'd be there with them both.
Also what might help is your scent...Put a pillow or blanket or even a piece of clothing you've worn...in the rm so she'll sleep on it...

Ditter43 07-17-2011 01:06 PM

[quote=irishrose]When I brought SammiCat home, he spent three days in the extra bath before I let him out with Mia. Miss Mia was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf, so I didn't want to take any chances. (quote)

Miss Mia sounds like an interesting cat.....1/4 wolf????

In the past when I had this situation, I just let them handle it with supervision at first. They will soon establish a pecking order and will get along fine.

nativetexan 07-17-2011 01:32 PM

leave a radio on for her. and they sell some calming scent stuff at the pet stores that plug in. feli something. it was recently mentioned on this forum.

Crabby Patty 07-17-2011 02:14 PM

Do you possibly have a large pet carrier that you could put her in in the room with the other kitty maybe that would make the adjustment easier. Just be sure to leave her food and water. I also liked the suggestion to put something with your smell on it in the room for her to snuggle with. Good luck.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-17-2011 02:17 PM

Awww, Laura, she's precious!! You're wonderful to rescue her :)
Thanks for the pic!

eastermarie 07-17-2011 03:00 PM

She's a pretty little kitty. I like her little white paws.

Ramona Byrd 07-17-2011 03:31 PM

..Put a pillow or blanket or even a piece of clothing you've worn...in the rm so she'll sleep on it...[/quote]
---------------------------------
That's what I was going to suggest. And sometimes with puppies we would put a clock in under the fabric, to mimic a heart beat. Or maybe a radio put on low.
My rescue cat, Frederica, is a double rescue..first home she stayed under the bed for a long time before joining the family.

Could you put her in your bed at night? Mine sleeps with me.

Jamiestitcher62 07-17-2011 03:46 PM

Right now my Schmoo is outside snoozing on the deck and Misty is wandering around, she finally came downstairs and is checking stuff out. I will definitely keep her in her room tonight and tomorrow while at work for awhile.

They both have their claws, but to Schmoo's credit she didn't ask to go out all day and stayed in the general vicinity of where Misty was, just observing and the occasional growl and hiss. I did get the Feliway (which was from another thread where I was asking about Schmoo's depression on losing her older buddy). I really think it helps.

Misty slept with me on my bed this afternoon, while Schmoo laid on the floor. Schmoo is my usual nighttime sleeping buddy, so we'll see how that goes.

I really don't know much about her except that she belonged to a hoarder and hasn't had any lovins', but all she seems to want to do is nudge and headbutt and roll around on the floor. She is scratching at the furniture though, I have 4 sisal posts all over the house, we'll have to break her of that habit fast.

irishrose 07-17-2011 06:30 PM

Ditter, Mia was a dog, well, almost, she was a wolfdog. I got her a cat for a companion the last year I worked when I contracted to work an extra hour a day. I've never had a problem with dogs, cats or cats and dogs getting along, but I didn't rush the introductions with dog/cat combinations.

Jamie, it sounds like your two are doing fine.

Jamiestitcher62 07-18-2011 05:38 AM

Well, the second night went much better. I put her in her room at 9:45 and stayed with her until she fell asleep. I didn't hear her at all during the night.

I made sure to get up extra early (5:00 a.m.) and I spent an hour and a half with her playing and loving before I had to go to work. I wanted to break up the monotony of staying that room all night and then again during the day while I was gone. It went well.

Schmoo was on my bed this morning like usual and Misty was playful as ever in her room when I went in. Tonight they both will be free to inspect each other some more.

Thanks for all the info again.