Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Misty is now in her new home - Another ????

Ok, I brought Misty home yesterday and I put her in her new room. I planned on keeping her segregated from Schmooey for a week at least. It's not going to happen. The first night she cried until I came in. I had to spend the night with her and she wouldn't let me sleep. Apparently she doesn't sleep at all at night.

Today I opened the door and let her kind of wander, Schmoo saw her and they basically eye-balled each other for a long time with low growling sounds from Schmoo. Misty didn't respond but she seems rather timid.

I have to work tomorrow and it breaks my heart to lock her the bedroom for the whole day so she will feel more secure. I'm afraid she will just cry all day and I'm not sure what to do with tonight, should I let her roam, or just give another night of sleep and spend it with her locked in the bedroom? Not sure what to do, but it looks like either way she will be spending a good part of the day in the room by herself.

Schmoo hasn't made any aggressive moves towards her at all, but I also don't want to jones her out either, especially if I am not home.

I hate stress and I know it will blow over in a couple of weeks or so, but I'm stressed right now and tired.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Are they both kitties???
    If so I would segregate them while you're at work. It takes awhile to get used to a newcomer and the little one will probably be fine in a room alone (and safer)
    My experience :) After awhile they may be great pals!
    Also- I think it's very stressful getting a new pet. Take care!

Yes, both are kitties. I will separate then while I am gone, it just breaks my heart that she will cry for me while I'm gone. She doesn't seem to what leave my side and if I get up to do something she wants to be right there.

I wasn't going to make the introductions so fast, but hubby disagreed, since we know that Schmoo is a wuss and this cat is so timid, there wouldn't be any fighting and there hasn't been, just stares and growls by Schmoo. Misty just stares and hunkers down.

Blog Entries
    When I brought SammiCat home, he spent three days in the extra bath before I let him out with Mia. Miss Mia was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf, so I didn't want to take any chances. They became the best of friends. I'm sure the cats will, too. A few days in isolation won't hurt the kitten. It'll give her time to get used to the smells and sounds of your household. Tonight make sure she has food, a litter box and a soft bed, then close the door.

With new incoming dogs, I feed the two an extremely yummy food side by side - with supervision, of course. For some reason, eating together cements the fact that the newcomer lives here.

Blog Entries
    I have never seperated my cats when I have brought a new one home. Of course there was the usual hissing and ignoring of each other, but the resident kitties where just trying to establish their alpha kitty position. It's taken from a couple of days to months for all the cats to accept the new one but they learn to live in harmony!

I would introduce them, let them spend time together. They will make noises at each other for a while, a week or two, but should eventually start settling in to each other's company. Since neither one is aggressive, they should be okay after a little time.

She's actually a 1-1/2 year old rescue. She has a whole bedroom, but the crying at night kept us awake so I went in and spent the night with her. I guess when I have to leave her to go to work tomorrow I won't hear the crying.

Ugggh, I hate drama, yet I am drawn to the drama, LOL.

Hubby's of the mind to let her out and let them go at it, I'm more of a let's let them meet gradually, but the opportunity presented itself this morning and I went with it.

Thanks again all for the tips. I have to take her to the vet. Apparently she had a scratched eye at the beginning of the month and the paperwork said she had antibiotics 2 times a day, yet the paperwork shows she had it once a day for about 6 days. Her eye looks a little funny, with the little white hood visible and she's closing it a little more than the other one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I have a feeling that when she realizes you aren't home, and she will eventually, she'll go to sleep.
    I want to see a pic! :)

see my response before yours, I posted her picture there. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Do they have their claws? Keep an eye on them.
    If not, that's one less worry. They might have hissy-fits but can't scratch.

Maybe if you turn a radio or TV in the rm where she is, on low...This might make her feel she's not alone. I agree if they both or one has claws...I'd be there with them both.
    Also what might help is your scent...Put a pillow or blanket or even a piece of clothing you've worn...in the rm so she'll sleep on it...

[quote=irishrose]When I brought SammiCat home, he spent three days in the extra bath before I let him out with Mia. Miss Mia was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf, so I didn't want to take any chances. (quote)

Miss Mia sounds like an interesting cat.....1/4 wolf????

In the past when I had this situation, I just let them handle it with supervision at first. They will soon establish a pecking order and will get along fine.

Blog Entries
    leave a radio on for her. and they sell some calming scent stuff at the pet stores that plug in. feli something. it was recently mentioned on this forum.

Do you possibly have a large pet carrier that you could put her in in the room with the other kitty maybe that would make the adjustment easier. Just be sure to leave her food and water. I also liked the suggestion to put something with your smell on it in the room for her to snuggle with. Good luck.

Awww, Laura, she's precious!! You're wonderful to rescue her :)
    Thanks for the pic!

She's a pretty little kitty. I like her little white paws.

Blog Entries
    ..Put a pillow or blanket or even a piece of clothing you've worn...in the rm so she'll sleep on it...[/quote]
    ---------------------------------
    That's what I was going to suggest. And sometimes with puppies we would put a clock in under the fabric, to mimic a heart beat. Or maybe a radio put on low.
    My rescue cat, Frederica, is a double rescue..first home she stayed under the bed for a long time before joining the family.

Could you put her in your bed at night? Mine sleeps with me.

Right now my Schmoo is outside snoozing on the deck and Misty is wandering around, she finally came downstairs and is checking stuff out. I will definitely keep her in her room tonight and tomorrow while at work for awhile.

They both have their claws, but to Schmoo's credit she didn't ask to go out all day and stayed in the general vicinity of where Misty was, just observing and the occasional growl and hiss. I did get the Feliway (which was from another thread where I was asking about Schmoo's depression on losing her older buddy). I really think it helps.

Misty slept with me on my bed this afternoon, while Schmoo laid on the floor. Schmoo is my usual nighttime sleeping buddy, so we'll see how that goes.

I really don't know much about her except that she belonged to a hoarder and hasn't had any lovins', but all she seems to want to do is nudge and headbutt and roll around on the floor. She is scratching at the furniture though, I have 4 sisal posts all over the house, we'll have to break her of that habit fast.

Blog Entries
    Ditter, Mia was a dog, well, almost, she was a wolfdog. I got her a cat for a companion the last year I worked when I contracted to work an extra hour a day. I've never had a problem with dogs, cats or cats and dogs getting along, but I didn't rush the introductions with dog/cat combinations.

Jamie, it sounds like your two are doing fine.

Well, the second night went much better. I put her in her room at 9:45 and stayed with her until she fell asleep. I didn't hear her at all during the night.

I made sure to get up extra early (5:00 a.m.) and I spent an hour and a half with her playing and loving before I had to go to work. I wanted to break up the monotony of staying that room all night and then again during the day while I was gone. It went well.

Schmoo was on my bed this morning like usual and Misty was playful as ever in her room when I went in. Tonight they both will be free to inspect each other some more.

Thanks for all the info again.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    When I brought SammiCat home, he spent three days in the extra bath before I let him out with Mia. Miss Mia was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf, so I didn't want to take any chances. They became the best of friends. I'm sure the cats will, too. A few days in isolation won't hurt the kitten. It'll give her time to get used to the smells and sounds of your household. Tonight make sure she has food, a litter box and a soft bed, then close the door.

With new incoming dogs, I feed the two an extremely yummy food side by side - with supervision, of course. For some reason, eating together cements the fact that the newcomer lives here.
    Don't forget water! No worries, they WILL learn to get along eventually

With lots of love and a little benadryl, you can both have a good nights sleep. I use the liquid, and the Vet said 12.5mg per 10 lbs. Hope this is helpful

Perhaps you can borrow a small animal carrier. That way she can stay in it and have a safe view of her new home.

It sounds like things are going well! There may be the occasional 'tiff' but if they're not going at it now, it'll just be a while longer before they're able to be together. You're doing it right, slow intros do work best...Feliway also is a wonder. Rescue Remedy is good for anxiety - and has no alcohol in it. (it's an herbal remedy, this non-alcohol type specifically formulated for pets)

If she is up at night, she should sleep during the day. I know that's what mine do. I left this morning and just came home, when there was no one to greet me at the door - I knew just where they were. Sound asleep in my bed! I told them to get up and they picked up their heads looked at me and yawned. Lazy, lazy fur babies!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast