Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My Lhasa recognizes something unusual (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-lhasa-recognizes-something-unusual-t58011.html)

Bubblegum0077 08-05-2010 06:07 PM

Hello everyone:
I have a 5 month old Lhasa and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this breed recognizing a diabetic's rise in their glucose.

I am diabetic and it seems he licks me every now and then. I didn't quite catch on right away, but when he started licking me I tested my glucose to find out it was high. I thought this was rather interesting and thought I would share it with the board members. I never taught him this and he's not a compulsive licker. In fact, when he licks me I test and find out that I need to take my meds or adjust my food choices.

Isn't that great!

Sadiemae 08-05-2010 06:10 PM

This is awesome! Animals are very fascinating. Dogs have been known to recognize cancer in some patients, and the beginning of a heartattack before it becomes severe in others and have saved lives.

grammyp 08-05-2010 06:11 PM

I haven't heard anything specific to Lhasas, but have heard about dogs that can do that. Some can also tell when someone is about to have a seizure.

Granna of 5 08-05-2010 06:11 PM

That is great to know. Dogs are very smart. My Boston Terrier has to smell my breath every morning. I am a cancer survivor and wonder if that has anything to do with his determination to smell my breath.

Tink's Mom 08-05-2010 06:13 PM

My neighbors had one of the Lhasa's and she was very intelligent...actually saved the family from a bad house fire...she was about the same age and in her kennel...but created such a ruckus that she woke them up...

Shemjo 08-05-2010 06:16 PM

How wonderful that you have recognized what your furry friend is telling you! What a great gift you have there. Now just remember to respond and heed the warnings.

granniebj 08-05-2010 06:18 PM

I'm a diabetic too and yes it would be great! Take care of yourself! I guess he'll see that you do!

piepatch 08-05-2010 06:39 PM

I have heard and read of this, but I am not sure what breed the dogs were. I think Mary Tyler Moore, who is diabetic, has a dog that can tell when her glucose is up, and does it without fail. I can't remember what breed her dog was, but I heard her talk about in an interview. I have also read about other diabetics who have dogs who "monitor" their diabetes.

Chele 08-05-2010 06:43 PM

Maybe you're just "sweeter!" My dog licks me when he's thankful. Usually my ankle, since he's a mini dachshund. He's height challenged. I think dogs communicate love or affection through licking.

So don't go eating poorly or not testing yourself if pups doesn't lick you. I think your adorable pup is showing affection. And of course he wants you to stay healthy to take good care of him. He's just a baby. Long walks are his favorite. Let him pee everywhere while you get exercise. It will tire him out and you'll get that blood sugar in check.

raptureready 08-05-2010 07:15 PM

Had a Boxer once that check pulse on a heart patient that was rooming at my house. Animals have some very good instincts.