Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Lhasa recognizes something unusual

Hello everyone:
    I have a 5 month old Lhasa and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this breed recognizing a diabetic's rise in their glucose.

I am diabetic and it seems he licks me every now and then. I didn't quite catch on right away, but when he started licking me I tested my glucose to find out it was high. I thought this was rather interesting and thought I would share it with the board members. I never taught him this and he's not a compulsive licker. In fact, when he licks me I test and find out that I need to take my meds or adjust my food choices.

Isn't that great!

Blog Entries
    This is awesome! Animals are very fascinating. Dogs have been known to recognize cancer in some patients, and the beginning of a heartattack before it becomes severe in others and have saved lives.

I haven't heard anything specific to Lhasas, but have heard about dogs that can do that. Some can also tell when someone is about to have a seizure.

That is great to know. Dogs are very smart. My Boston Terrier has to smell my breath every morning. I am a cancer survivor and wonder if that has anything to do with his determination to smell my breath.

My neighbors had one of the Lhasa's and she was very intelligent...actually saved the family from a bad house fire...she was about the same age and in her kennel...but created such a ruckus that she woke them up...

How wonderful that you have recognized what your furry friend is telling you! What a great gift you have there. Now just remember to respond and heed the warnings.

I'm a diabetic too and yes it would be great! Take care of yourself! I guess he'll see that you do!

I have heard and read of this, but I am not sure what breed the dogs were. I think Mary Tyler Moore, who is diabetic, has a dog that can tell when her glucose is up, and does it without fail. I can't remember what breed her dog was, but I heard her talk about in an interview. I have also read about other diabetics who have dogs who "monitor" their diabetes.

Maybe you're just "sweeter!" My dog licks me when he's thankful. Usually my ankle, since he's a mini dachshund. He's height challenged. I think dogs communicate love or affection through licking.

So don't go eating poorly or not testing yourself if pups doesn't lick you. I think your adorable pup is showing affection. And of course he wants you to stay healthy to take good care of him. He's just a baby. Long walks are his favorite. Let him pee everywhere while you get exercise. It will tire him out and you'll get that blood sugar in check.

Had a Boxer once that check pulse on a heart patient that was rooming at my house. Animals have some very good instincts.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a Lhasa but no diabetics and she is a super smart dog, smartest we have ever had. She understands things u tell her. The other day I said do you want to go with me on a road trip. She laid down and rolled over and was pretending she was asleep I guess. Sometimes she likes to go other she doesn't. She has to be under my feet. If I get up in the night just to go potty, she drags herself off our bed and goes in bathroom then back to our bed. Each and every time. She is not a licker tho, she likes to lay up against you.

I know that some licking is expressing gratitude. My dog licks me like once after I feed her, before she eats.That is cool that she can do that.
    I had a dog once that was always a big help with putting my hyperactive foster kids to bed. She would lay with them until they went to sleep. Then she would come find me and lay down with a big sigh! I knes the child was asleep!

My Shih Tzu, Chichi wakes me up when mine drops fast or pretty low. She bounces on me and yaps up a storm and she never does it anyother time. Yep, God's other angels, ya know?! and do you know, I just found out in trivia, tonight, that putting the exclamation and question mark together has a name, grammatically correct name. Now this will show you my poor pea brain, I can't remember what it is. ain't this a shame.

Blessings,
    Ruth

Thats so awesome! There are dogs that can smell when a person has cancer, so why not when your blood drops? I sure makes you wonder where they learn it from though!!!!

A diabetic's blood pH changes with blood sugar levels. You can smell the "sweetness" on the breath when the levels are really off (my Grandma is really bad at "tasting" things on her forbidden list and we always know). A dog's ability to smell is much greater than a humans so I'm not surprised. It is wonderful that he alerts you with no special training. Service animals are being trained now to do everything from alerting for food alergies to epileptic seizures and it is awesome. Those are special animals and I wish there was more funding/training to place more of them.

Blog Entries
    that is great!

my hubby was a severe diabetic since 4th grade and on September 18, 1990 he got a new kidney and pancreas transplant and no longer a diabetic

take care of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    A diabetic's blood pH changes with blood sugar levels. You can smell the "sweetness" on the breath when the levels are really off (my Grandma is really bad at "tasting" things on her forbidden list and we always know). A dog's ability to smell is much greater than a humans so I'm not surprised. It is wonderful that he alerts you with no special training. Service animals are being trained now to do everything from alerting for food alergies to epileptic seizures and it is awesome. Those are special animals and I wish there was more funding/training to place more of them.
    I agree with lab fairy, he probably smells the difference. Lots of wonder stories about animals that are amazing! Give him an extra hug for his love!

Blog Entries
    I've had 2 chihuahuas that alert me when my blood sugar is too low. Twice they've saved my life by jumping on me and yapping and licking me when I've passed out due to lows. When my blood sugar becomes unstable my black lab won't leave me. She stays right by me because I fall. She lets me fall on her and pulls me up.

What a sweet furbaby to help Momma out with her health. Dogs have a sixth sense in a lot of areas. My dog knows when a storm is coming before I hear it. She hates storms.

my boxer has great sense of smell, I worry when she smells one area on me, when i first got polymayagia she would smell my hip area, which hurt themost. so interesting to me.

our first pyr was very in tune with us....he knew when my bp was up and would come and lean against me till I sat down. It took us awhile to realize just what he was doing. He also knew when one of my dd's was about to start her period for the first time. For a solid week he acted different around her, just worried and fussy and checking her. She got so annoyed at him. then she started and he quit. The one we have now isn't like that....he recognizes when I'm sad but doesn't seem to have that sense that knows something is wrong.

Blog Entries
    Our dogs are very smart, we humans just need to pay attention to what they are telling us. My daughters dog probably saved her life when an attic fire broke out in her house. Foxy would not leave Linda alone, barking and pacing back and forth until LInda got out of bed( to take the dog outside) Linda didn"t notice anything until she got into her hallway and saw smoke coming from the attic opening overhead. By the time she reached the end of the hallway, fire had broken through the ceiling. That hallway was her only means out of the house!

I've heard of many dogs that can sense things. I think the real trick is that the OWNER recognizes when the dog or cat tries to tell you something!!

Yes! One of my best friends has a dog who will attach herself like glue to my friend's hip whenever she thinks an episode is coming. My friend is diabetic, and has RSD and Lupus.