Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need advice on new vacuum cleaner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-advice-new-vacuum-cleaner-t22206.html)

Joan 07-03-2009 05:54 AM

Glad to hear the advice--We're getting ready to buy a new vacuum and have two big black dogs that think their job in life is to shed fur so Mama has something "to do". I had been leaning toward a Dyson anyway....

Esqmommy 07-03-2009 06:01 AM

Perhaps the dealer might have a suggestion?

tlrnhi 07-03-2009 06:10 AM

Oh yes...if you have animals that shed, the Dyson Animal is the one to get. That's the one we have. I just love it!

Kara 07-03-2009 06:36 AM

I have a Hoover. My first one was around for 13 years. And since my cleaning crew consists of people 12yo and under... Let's just say it was abused. Sucked up water (accidentally) and after drying out ran GREAT! Sucked up toys, pieces of denim (I had to take it apart and pull the denim out of the motor with a pair of pliers). And soooo much other stuff. I retired it and replaced it with a bagless model which I LOVE.

Joan 07-03-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Where would I buy a Dyson?

They have them at Lowe's--don't know if they have the best price.

bearisgray 07-03-2009 07:05 AM

The vacuum cleaner repairman in Dade City, FL said to avoid Dysons because parts were expensive and hard to get. So - I have no personal experience with them.

I like my bagless Hoovers, but I don't have the kind of carpet you are talking about.

They do a good job of getting the cat hair up. Mine are between five and 10 years old, but what I was not impressed with was the very short attachment hose.

Alabama-Quilter 07-03-2009 08:48 AM

Have heard nothing but good reports on the Dyson I saw some at Lowes

Lacelady 07-03-2009 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Where would I buy a Dyson?

I have a Dyson too, and wouldn't part with it. My daughter has the one with the big ball near the base, and she loves it. Over here, QVC (UK) have just started selling them so you could check out the USA version

MissTreated 07-03-2009 10:05 AM

I have a Meile. I love it, but it is very spendy. Don't know if I would spend the money again, but I don't think I"ll have to. It's a workhorse and the best thing is it is very quiet. I can actually hear my little phone ring when I'm operating it. It's very lightweight and doesn't bother my shoulder the way my old blue Kirby does when I use that beast.

M

The Babe 07-03-2009 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I am hoping to receive more replies before I decide what to do. I am so afraid of making the wrong decision and being stuck with something I don't like and/or doesn't do the job. I keep seeing this quote flashing in front of my eyes "Paralysis by analysis". That's me in a nutshell.