Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need advice on new vacuum cleaner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-advice-new-vacuum-cleaner-t22206.html)

Yvonne 07-04-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Yvonne, I understand there are several models of the Dyson. Which one do you have? It looks like Dyson's are getting the most votes.

DC-17 Mine's blue but they all look purple now. Must have changed.
Anyway,
It's designed for asthma and allergies and animals! I'm still amazed at what that vacuum can find to suck up! I also like the fact that I can change from carpets to wood floors with just the push of a button. Is also does a great job of clearing the "beach" from around the cat's litter box. Thank goodness!

Linsoblu 07-09-2009 08:55 AM

I know most of the gal's said a Dyson was the best,but in fact it's one of the worst each to their own. I'll take a Miele over any of the vacuums out there. I have 5 dogs, dirt road and 7 birds.I have both an upright and a canister. The upright's head moves making it easy to get around things and it will clean hardwood floors as I have both carpet and hardwood. I've had the canister over 10 years not one problem.

DaneDad 07-09-2009 10:58 AM

I'll cast my vote for Dyson... I had a discussion with the local Miele dealer and was tempted... so I brought my 10 year old Dyson in to his shop and let him vacuum first fully expecting there to be nothing left for the Dyson. To my, and his, surprise, the Dyson pulled up tons of dirt left behind. When we reversed the test... the Miele pulled up almost nothing after the Dyson. I live with 3 Great Danes which freely roam 10 acres of dirt and mud and I wouldn't be without my Dyson. The Dyson also does and excellent job on area rugs and hard surface flooring and it makes very short work of getting the dog hair up in the SUV after a trip to the dog park

MadQuilter 07-09-2009 11:17 AM

I have a Kenmore Cannister and it does the job just fine on all types of floors. It had a real good rating with Consumer Reports.

It is easy to maneuver and not very heavy. I like the telescoping handle. All those features are important because I have back problems.

The bags are easy to change and are available in paper or heppa filter.

The Babe 07-09-2009 12:24 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback you all have given. I still haven't made up my mind so keep your opinions coming!

pakwoman 07-09-2009 01:13 PM

I purchased a Kirby about 4 years ago and it has carpet cleaner attachments with it. It is a dream and so easy to push. It is the best sweeper I have ever had in 35 years of marriage.

rannyof3 07-09-2009 02:18 PM

I have had Hoover's for years and love them. Have back trouble so the "self propelled" feature is great..... I have a friend that has a Dyson and hates it, so I guess it is all just a matter of taste. Our local WalMart carries the Hoovers and the last time I looked, the Dyson also. Good Luck

sewmuch 07-09-2009 05:11 PM

Like Ranny, I have always had Hoover's and been very satisfied. Recently bought a self propelled for myself and dd's BD gift was a self propelled one.
She has 2 dogs and a cat and really likes the hair pick up.
Have never heard of Dyson before but w/all the response, I will surely check it out for my next one. :D

nellebelles 07-10-2009 12:33 AM

I wish I could advise but my vacuum cleaner sucks! :roll: Oh--I guess that is what they are supposed to do, right? :? lol

eparys 07-10-2009 01:50 AM

Ok here is another recommendation - I have a Kenmore Progressive . Our house has wood floors and carpets. I LOVE it - it works great on both. It has this Inteli - Clean option which varies the suction and brush speed depending on the amount of dirt that is being sucked in. Also has Hepa filter.

I have a lab who has a problem standing still for brushing and I could easily "build" a new lab regularly (lol) from the fur left on the floor and carpet. I works really well. My only complaint is - it is bulky.