Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need advice on new vacuum cleaner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-advice-new-vacuum-cleaner-t22206.html)

mrs_goodwrench 07-10-2009 04:29 AM

Dyson, Dyson, Dyson! I love mine! After wind-tunnels and dirt-devils, I bought a Dyson and I will never go back. (As a retired lady mechanic, (28yrs.) I can appreciate the engineering/function of this great vaccum!)
My dil borrowed it and didn't want to give it back. :D

sandiphi 07-10-2009 04:58 AM

I also have the Kenmore Progressive. I have 2 boxers (dogs) that shed like crazy, with the short fur and it sucks up the fur with no problem. This is the best vacuum I have ever used for the fur problem we have. I love this vacuum.

The Babe 07-10-2009 06:10 AM

Mrs. Good_Wrench, what model Dyson do you have? There are so many to choose from.

mommaB 07-10-2009 11:32 AM

Well, I can tell what NOT to get!! Dirt Devils are AWFUL, no edge suction, flimsy attatchments, just junk. I bought it after an old eureka bravo finally bit the dust (or dog hair actually). That sweeper was great..and cheap (under $100) My next one will be a canister of some type as most of the wall to wall has been ripped out and I need something for the hardwood. But I guess alot of it depends on how much you want to spend..Dysons are several hundred..around here, the animal one is around $400..Hoover runs the price list, this stupid dirt devil was $150. Better figure out how much you can spend first, might narrow your choices considerably!!

Roberta 07-10-2009 01:48 PM

I have a Dyson Animal because of wall to wall carpeting plus big dogs with long fur that used to wreck my machine's in months. It's awkward to use and I wish they had the Dyson Ball when I bought this but it is a super machine. I tell my hubby it's too hard for me to manage so now he does the rugs. Hey, works for me. :lol:

Scissor Queen 07-12-2009 02:53 PM

We bought our Dyson at Sears. My daughter bought hers at Target and I've seen them at Costco.
We absolutely love the Dyson vacuum. I always thought I was fairly good about keeping the house clean but after that first trip around with the dyson I had my doubts! What a bunch of dirt we'd been living with. No more! We live with a black cat and we could knit another cat with the fur the dyson manages to find.
I'd give the Dyson a 5 star rating out of 5.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I've thrown away at least 6 whole cats worth of cat fur since we got the Dyson. I couldn't believe how much that vacuum picks up when I started using it!

The Babe 07-12-2009 04:33 PM

Scissor Queen, what model did you purchase? They have so many available. I would think the one with the ball would be a great one to get around furniture with.

Joan 07-12-2009 05:22 PM

I've following with interest this thread since I have also been in the market for a new vacuum cleaner.

So many of you liked the Dyson, I bought one on E Bay. It was very reasonable--$219.00 to be exact---no sales tax and no shipping.

The seller refurbishes Dyson vaccums that have been returned. The vauccums are all stripped down, cleaned out, any new parts are replaced. It comes with a six month limited warrranty against original defects in materials and workmanship I received all the paperwork, too. The machine looks NEW and it works GREAT. (Of course, I have to admit I was comparing it to a Eureka which has been less than satisfactory.) He sells other Vaccums as well not only Dysons.

Mine is a pretty purple color, too, and boy did it pick up the dog hair. We have two black Labs that shed ALOT!

Anyway, I was happy and you might want to check out their auctions:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ABC-Vacu...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Scissor Queen 07-12-2009 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Scissor Queen, what model did you purchase? They have so many available. I would think the one with the ball would be a great one to get around furniture with.

I think the one we have is the Slim. I got it on Home Shopping Network. It manuvers really easy and really cleans.

KathyH 07-13-2009 01:42 PM

I bought the Dyson Animal about 2 1/2 years ago. It hasn't needed any repairs and I think it's a great machine. Kathy