Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Olympics in London... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/olympics-london-t195745.html)

Julie in NM 07-25-2012 03:03 PM

Olympics in London...

Are you watching, avoiding, don't care?

I used to watch winter and summer onlympics but this year could care less. Don't think I'll even watch the opening ceremonies but this is just person's opinion.

amyjo 07-25-2012 03:33 PM

It is getting so bad. They wanted it and now they are griping because they are not able to drive like they used to and make money driving cabs etc. Can't see but that they deserve all they get. It isn't even fun to watch anymore as it is so overdone.

EllieGirl 07-25-2012 04:24 PM

I love the Olympics, especially the summer. I will be watching them. Swimming and track are my favorites.

DogHouseMom 07-25-2012 04:36 PM

I'll be watching. I've always been a fan of the games, but this year is special as I've watched a lot of the venues be built. My first trip there was during the campaign to get the vote for the games. Our tube ride home was through Stratford (the Olympic Village).

I have to admit though that even though I could have so to speak a front row seat (our house is not far from the Village), I'll be glad to watch the events from the comfort of my living room - much better view, a lot cheaper, and I don't have to deal with traffic/commuters.

AuntieD 07-25-2012 06:13 PM

I might watch some of the events. I'll be rooting for team USA!!

Latrinka 07-25-2012 06:15 PM

I like to watch the gymnastics.

TanyaL 07-25-2012 06:19 PM

I love to watch ALL the events. Unfortunately, alot of the ones I like are ones that never get good coverage - the minor events.

burchquilts 07-25-2012 06:26 PM

And there I thought it was just me who was kind of blase about them. My Mother would watch ANYTHING in the Olympics... if the rings were anywhere on the screen, she'd watch tiddlewinks! So she & I used to watch them together. But lately, they just don't do much for me. I think I watched the opening ceremonies in Japan but I don't know if I'll even bother this go around. I just don't really care. I was surprised to see they'd started today. I thought they didn't start till after the opening ceremonies (which are Friday, right?). So I was quite surprised when I turned on MSNBC this afternoon & instead of Andrea Mitchell, it was soccer or something. Ho hum...

cizzors 07-25-2012 07:31 PM

I don't watch for the opening ceremonies, I watch for the games which is what I'll be doing.

QuiltE 07-25-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo (Post 5394199)
It is getting so bad. They wanted it and now they are griping because they are not able to drive like they used to and make money driving cabs etc. Can't see but that they deserve all they get. It isn't even fun to watch anymore as it is so overdone.

*blink*
Keep in mind that no matter what country is the host ...
... the "average person" was not the one who "wanted" it.
And when it actually happens, while one may want to go, many can't afford it. Or if they do bite the bullet, it may be only for one event, as the tickets are highly priced. All the commotion, including the special traffic lanes, does affect lives and their ability to continue their lives and occupations. And too, not everyone is a sports fan, let alone an olympics fan.

It's not like the residents in the host countries have a free ticket to just go as they please.

Me? when I'm home the TV will be on the Olympic coverage most of the time. I may not "watch" it per se, though, when I pass by, I'll get updates, and chances are I'll watch bits and pieces as interesting parts are happening. I love hearing some of the stories of how the athletes have developed from children, and that's what draws me in, to follow them as they compete. For sure, Ladies Rowing 8's I'll be watching, as I know one of the team members! :)