Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympics in London...

Question Olympics in London...

Are you watching, avoiding, don't care?

I used to watch winter and summer onlympics but this year could care less. Don't think I'll even watch the opening ceremonies but this is just person's opinion.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    It is getting so bad. They wanted it and now they are griping because they are not able to drive like they used to and make money driving cabs etc. Can't see but that they deserve all they get. It isn't even fun to watch anymore as it is so overdone.

I love the Olympics, especially the summer. I will be watching them. Swimming and track are my favorites.

I'll be watching. I've always been a fan of the games, but this year is special as I've watched a lot of the venues be built. My first trip there was during the campaign to get the vote for the games. Our tube ride home was through Stratford (the Olympic Village).

I have to admit though that even though I could have so to speak a front row seat (our house is not far from the Village), I'll be glad to watch the events from the comfort of my living room - much better view, a lot cheaper, and I don't have to deal with traffic/commuters.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I might watch some of the events. I'll be rooting for team USA!!

I like to watch the gymnastics.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I love to watch ALL the events. Unfortunately, alot of the ones I like are ones that never get good coverage - the minor events.

And there I thought it was just me who was kind of blase about them. My Mother would watch ANYTHING in the Olympics... if the rings were anywhere on the screen, she'd watch tiddlewinks! So she & I used to watch them together. But lately, they just don't do much for me. I think I watched the opening ceremonies in Japan but I don't know if I'll even bother this go around. I just don't really care. I was surprised to see they'd started today. I thought they didn't start till after the opening ceremonies (which are Friday, right?). So I was quite surprised when I turned on MSNBC this afternoon & instead of Andrea Mitchell, it was soccer or something. Ho hum...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I don't watch for the opening ceremonies, I watch for the games which is what I'll be doing.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    It is getting so bad. They wanted it and now they are griping because they are not able to drive like they used to and make money driving cabs etc. Can't see but that they deserve all they get. It isn't even fun to watch anymore as it is so overdone.
    *blink*
    Keep in mind that no matter what country is the host ...
    ... the "average person" was not the one who "wanted" it.
    And when it actually happens, while one may want to go, many can't afford it. Or if they do bite the bullet, it may be only for one event, as the tickets are highly priced. All the commotion, including the special traffic lanes, does affect lives and their ability to continue their lives and occupations. And too, not everyone is a sports fan, let alone an olympics fan.

It's not like the residents in the host countries have a free ticket to just go as they please.

Me? when I'm home the TV will be on the Olympic coverage most of the time. I may not "watch" it per se, though, when I pass by, I'll get updates, and chances are I'll watch bits and pieces as interesting parts are happening. I love hearing some of the stories of how the athletes have developed from children, and that's what draws me in, to follow them as they compete. For sure, Ladies Rowing 8's I'll be watching, as I know one of the team members!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
    I don't watch for the opening ceremonies, I watch for the games which is what I'll be doing.
    Tonight on "Nightline", David Beckham said he was going to be in the opening ceremonies so guess where I'll be then? LOL! I can't help it... he's my Hollywood boyfriend... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

As we only get PBS on our TV, I won't be watching. I hope they go off well, with this being the 40th anniversary of the Munich games (terrorist attack) plus they are having problems with the security there, plus the general atmosphere in the world today.

I can just picture the opening ceremonies, all the athletes will be walking in with their heads down, "tweeting" on their Iphones, LOL!!

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Probably not a single minute - well, news casts repeating wins/losses will of course be seen but actually tuning into the games, not likely.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    As we only get PBS on our TV, I won't be watching. I hope they go off well, with this being the 40th anniversary of the Munich games (terrorist attack) plus they are having problems with the security there, plus the general atmosphere in the world today.

I can just picture the opening ceremonies, all the athletes will be walking in with their heads down, "tweeting" on their Iphones, LOL!!
    And arms up in the air taking photos! That's what happened the last couple of times!

However, after the Greek gal getting turfed yesterday for inappropriate Tweeting, they may think twice about social media!!

I enjoy the swimming and diving events, especially since we have a young man from theDaytona Beach area who is one of the top men's swimmers. Whether or not you enjoy it, NBC does seem to do a great job bringing it all together with not only Olympics but the local info as well.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I love the track and field events, gymnastics and the swimming and diving events. I'll be listening to those as I go about my day but I probably won't just sit down and watch them.

Blog Entries
    Our teams have worked so hard to get there, they deserve our watching. Our kids have to fund themselves, our govt. does not send them there as other countries who pay for everything. They deserve us to watch and be counted or soon the tv will not carry these.

The Olympics are getting too expensive to put on. I think it is one of the reason Greece has financial troubles. I read that somewhere. And they hurt the games when they started letting the professional players compete in the games. That is not the original idea of the Olympics. Now that I got that off my chest, I will probably catch some of it if I am not doing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post

Evidently the Olympic committee has really lowered the boom re Tweeting after that one athlete got sent home for hers.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I find your comment quite upsetting - the local people are not 'griping' they are concerned that there livelihoods are going to be seriously affected by delays with traffic problems in and around London - perhaps you don't realise just how small the streets in London are to have to cope with even more traffic and for local business people not being able to use one of the traffic lanes will have consequences I think it is very unfair of you to say 'they deserve all they get'

Blog Entries
    My husband and I will be watching them as much as we can. His family is Olympians. His nephew, Gary Hall, was in 3 Olympics: Munich, Montreal, and Mexico City. Gary was a swimmer in the same olympics as his roommate, Mark Spitz. Now Gary's son, Gary Hall, Jr., has just finished being in his 3 Olympic games: Atlanta, Sydney, and Athens. He also is a swimmer. And we just found out that Gary Hall, Srs. father-in-law swam in the 1976 Olympics. So we do have an interest, even if none of our relatives are in them. P.S. We just learned that Gary Hall, Jr. was inducted into the Olympics Hall of Fame this month. So that is another feather in his cap. YES, WE'LL BE WATCHING.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I love the Olympics, especially the summer. I will be watching them. Swimming and track are my favorites.
    Me too
    For me nothing beats seeing/admiring excellence - in sports, quilting etc.
    And, I love the opening ceremonies - watching all those proud, happy atheletes from all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by janedee View Post
    I find your comment quite upsetting - the local people are not 'griping' they are concerned that there livelihoods are going to be seriously affected by delays with traffic problems in and around London - perhaps you don't realise just how small the streets in London are to have to cope with even more traffic and for local business people not being able to use one of the traffic lanes will have consequences I think it is very unfair of you to say 'they deserve all they get'
    Well Said!

You and everyone (and this is said generically, for all, and for all host countries!) definitely deserve the "right" to continue your lives livelihoods and lifestyles with minimal interference because of the Olympics.

As noted in my earlier post, I was terribly disappointed in the tone of this earlier comment, and slur against the Brits. I am glad that you came forth and spoke on behalf of your fellow country wo/men.

"They" was probably the government and the folks with the big bucks. It would be the same if your governor and the legislature and the prosperous business people in your state decided they wanted the prestige and attention, would they ask the citizens of North Dakota before going after it? No, they'd just do it.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Will definitely be watching! Love the Olympics, although I prefer the winter games over the summer. If you're in the U.S., you basically can't avoid them anyway - many of the other networks are showing reruns for the next two weeks, so they don't have to compete with the NBC coverage, which is now appearing on many different channels (MSNBC, Bravo, etc.).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast