View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
It is getting so bad. They wanted it and now they are griping because they are not able to drive like they used to and make money driving cabs etc. Can't see but that they deserve all they get. It isn't even fun to watch anymore as it is so overdone.
*blink*
Keep in mind that no matter what country is the host ...
... the "average person" was not the one who "wanted" it.
And when it actually happens, while one may want to go, many can't afford it. Or if they do bite the bullet, it may be only for one event, as the tickets are highly priced. All the commotion, including the special traffic lanes, does affect lives and their ability to continue their lives and occupations. And too, not everyone is a sports fan, let alone an olympics fan.

It's not like the residents in the host countries have a free ticket to just go as they please.

Me? when I'm home the TV will be on the Olympic coverage most of the time. I may not "watch" it per se, though, when I pass by, I'll get updates, and chances are I'll watch bits and pieces as interesting parts are happening. I love hearing some of the stories of how the athletes have developed from children, and that's what draws me in, to follow them as they compete. For sure, Ladies Rowing 8's I'll be watching, as I know one of the team members!