Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Online funeral guestbooks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/online-funeral-guestbooks-t212487.html)

Sandygirl 01-30-2013 03:01 PM

Online funeral guestbooks

Do you expess your condolences on an online "guestbook"??

I do, if it is someone who is not in my immediate social circle. Otherwise, i will snail-mail a card. But I admit to wondering if this is less personal. ??
Sandy

QuiltE 01-30-2013 04:02 PM

I don't ... my sentiments are for the family of the bereaved and not for everyone in the world to see and know what I have said!
I'll send a card or cards (as appropriate) ... and/or reach out to them IRL at the visitation, funeral and before or after both ... again as appropriate, according to my connection to them.

QuiltnNan 01-30-2013 04:27 PM

i feel that funerals are a very personal matter and require human interaction. if in person is not possible, then a personally written note is the next best thing.

nivosum 01-30-2013 05:01 PM

My uncle who was a former football coach died and many of his former students express their admiration for him and how he affected their lives. I think it was a nice tribute to him for the world to see. The former students may have sent private messages to the family also.

Jingle 01-30-2013 08:08 PM

I had a very dear friend die and I did leave condolences on the funeral home's questbook. I really just knew her and not anyone else. We emailed and visited several times, knew each other about 6 yrs. She lived about 7-8 hours away. I would have felt very out of place.
I sent her Daughter and family a card with a personal note and her grown Granddaughter a personal card too.
Not every funeral is close by.

TanyaL 01-30-2013 08:17 PM

When I can't go to a funeral I try to send flowers. When it is someone I just barely knew but I want the family to know I'm sorry that they died then I send a sympathy card. The on line stuff just seems too quick and impersonal, like something you would do standing in line at the grocery check out or something.

Jill 01-30-2013 09:23 PM

When my sister passed away last year she had requested a private service for family only. She was well-known in her community and many people sent online comments about how she had affected their lives. Many also sent cards. I enjoyed reading the comments because of the comfort it gave me knowing she was so well-loved by many people.

Teddybear Lady 01-30-2013 09:38 PM

I've only commented one time on a funeral home's guestbook. It was for an Art teacher I had when I was in 7th grade. I didn't know her family, but I wanted them to know she meant a lot to me and taught me a lot of things about Art. The family acknowledged the postings, thanking everyone for remembering their loved one.

sassey 01-31-2013 09:38 AM

After loosing several family members in less than 2 years I would like to say this I really llike a personal card or note the best they seem so much more personal AND correspondance with a return address makes it so much easier when you set down to write out all them cards and thank yous

sewrkristy 02-01-2013 04:16 AM

One of my dearest older friends had an online guestbook. I wrote a quick note about how wonderful she was and a personal childhood memory. I wanted to celebrate her life. It was the perfect place for that.