Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   postage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/postage-t158419.html)

sherian 10-06-2011 09:06 AM

I just received my ebay - subonnet sue & sam material.
I paid 3.50 shipping. Postal lady said the sender paid for
a letter, 5x7 envelope not enough. It weighted 3 oz.
I had to pay 5.31 more to get it. So that is 9.11 shipping.
This just doesn't sound right. The sender shorted me.
Does this happen alot.

Gramie bj 10-06-2011 09:17 AM

Can you check with another P.O. ? I was in a block exchange on this board and some people had to pay extra to send a block in an envelope, one was required to get those small manilla envelopes for her blocks and had to pay over A doller to send out each, I wraped my blocks in syran put it in a legal size envelope and used 1 stamp they all went through no problem. I always thought the US post office charged the same way all over the US, maybe Im wrong or maybe the PO is. I better be quiet My PO may be in the wrong LOL and I'll pay for it next time!

Zhillslady 10-06-2011 09:24 AM

post office now charges extra for anything bigger than a 5 x 9 envelope - there is letter rate, envelope rate (envelope over 5 x 9) and zone rate. Your seller could have put in a flat rate mailing envelope and only cost $4.90 to anywhere in US for whatever fit in box. Your post office may have calculated wrong. 3 oz according to my meter if using a large envelope would be $1.48 no matter where mailed. Are u sure was 3 ounzes. Thats only about the weight of a file folder and 3 sheets of paper. Even a yard of fabric (I just weighted it) was more than 3 oz.

bearisgray 10-06-2011 09:36 AM

From what you've said - that does sound very strange.

I do know that the size and shape of the package/envelope is also taken into consideration, along with the basic weight of the mailed item.

sherian 10-06-2011 09:48 AM

Yes the envelop is 3 oz. and marked on it the envelope is 5x7. I ask the sender she said sorry, I paid 1.75.
I paid 3.50 to her and 5.31 to post office?

ptquilts 10-06-2011 10:09 AM

No way a 3 oz envelope should cost over $7. to send. Ask your postmaster to show you in writing what rate you are being charged - something is way off!!

You can always refuse something that comes postage due.

bearisgray 10-06-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
No way a 3 oz envelope should cost over $7. to send. Ask your postmaster to show you in writing what rate you are being charged - something is way off!!

You can always refuse something that comes postage due.

Didn't know one could refuse an postage due postage - that's good to know!

sherian 10-06-2011 10:26 AM

? If I had refused to pay, I would have lost my order,
I paid 20. for, it is a sunbonnet sue & sam pattern.
Maybe I should go to post office, The seller said she paid a 1.75, and it not her fault. I paid 3.50 to her & 5.31 to postal lady. Or pay pal? I think they both we me., but
I know business do do a general cost I guess.

nativetexan 10-06-2011 11:46 AM

take it to two different post offices and talk to the manager at each one. i bet you get a different reason.

Zhillslady 10-06-2011 12:08 PM

a 5 x 7 envelope is the same postage as a letter size. It's the largest you can send for same rate. Go see your post office clerk. Something is fishy.