Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: postage

Blog Entries
    I just received my ebay - subonnet sue & sam material.
    I paid 3.50 shipping. Postal lady said the sender paid for
    a letter, 5x7 envelope not enough. It weighted 3 oz.
    I had to pay 5.31 more to get it. So that is 9.11 shipping.
    This just doesn't sound right. The sender shorted me.
    Does this happen alot.

Can you check with another P.O. ? I was in a block exchange on this board and some people had to pay extra to send a block in an envelope, one was required to get those small manilla envelopes for her blocks and had to pay over A doller to send out each, I wraped my blocks in syran put it in a legal size envelope and used 1 stamp they all went through no problem. I always thought the US post office charged the same way all over the US, maybe Im wrong or maybe the PO is. I better be quiet My PO may be in the wrong LOL and I'll pay for it next time!

Banned
    post office now charges extra for anything bigger than a 5 x 9 envelope - there is letter rate, envelope rate (envelope over 5 x 9) and zone rate. Your seller could have put in a flat rate mailing envelope and only cost $4.90 to anywhere in US for whatever fit in box. Your post office may have calculated wrong. 3 oz according to my meter if using a large envelope would be $1.48 no matter where mailed. Are u sure was 3 ounzes. Thats only about the weight of a file folder and 3 sheets of paper. Even a yard of fabric (I just weighted it) was more than 3 oz.

Power Poster
    From what you've said - that does sound very strange.

I do know that the size and shape of the package/envelope is also taken into consideration, along with the basic weight of the mailed item.

Blog Entries
    Yes the envelop is 3 oz. and marked on it the envelope is 5x7. I ask the sender she said sorry, I paid 1.75.
    I paid 3.50 to her and 5.31 to post office?

No way a 3 oz envelope should cost over $7. to send. Ask your postmaster to show you in writing what rate you are being charged - something is way off!!

You can always refuse something that comes postage due.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    No way a 3 oz envelope should cost over $7. to send. Ask your postmaster to show you in writing what rate you are being charged - something is way off!!

Didn't know one could refuse an postage due postage - that's good to know!

Blog Entries
    ? If I had refused to pay, I would have lost my order,
    I paid 20. for, it is a sunbonnet sue & sam pattern.
    Maybe I should go to post office, The seller said she paid a 1.75, and it not her fault. I paid 3.50 to her & 5.31 to postal lady. Or pay pal? I think they both we me., but
    I know business do do a general cost I guess.

Blog Entries
    take it to two different post offices and talk to the manager at each one. i bet you get a different reason.

Banned
    a 5 x 7 envelope is the same postage as a letter size. It's the largest you can send for same rate. Go see your post office clerk. Something is fishy.

Wow. It is the seller's responsibility to make sure that they have adequate shipping. If they sent it from their house, then I would question that they were accurate. If they sent it from a post office (from the counter or a meter machine), then I would definitely complain to my local post office and demand an explanation.

all I can think of that would cause that is if they used a Priority Mail envelope turned inside out.

QKO
    all I can think of that would cause that is if they used a Priority Mail envelope turned inside out.
    That would do it, for sure. If you use anything that says, anyplace on it "priority mail" you'll get charged the priority rate, not even the flat rate envelope rate either.

Power Poster
    I've heard that is true - even if the envelope or box is turned inside out.

There is no way an envelope that size and weight would cost that much, someone screwed up at the post office.

I sent out some fabric to someone in the US and it cost me 1.70. they measured the envelope in the post office to make sure it fit properly in their restrictions.

I wonder if they quoted you an expedited rate which would be more expensive. I'd try asking another post office.

If the envelope is more than 1/4" think it has to go parcel post. They have a cardboard thing that has a slot that the envelope has to pass through easily.

I would ask the e-bay seller for a refund of your postage paid when you tell her what you had to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    If the envelope is more than 1/4" think it has to go parcel post. They have a cardboard thing that has a slot that the envelope has to pass through easily.

I would ask the e-bay seller for a refund of your postage paid when you tell her what you had to pay.
    not unless it weighs more than 13 ounces. Up to 13 ounces - FIrst Class (there are 3 classes of First Class Mail). Over 13 ounces - Parcel Post or Priority.

Blog Entries
    I will go to post office 1st. I had already e-mailed sender
    Wennine, she paid 1.75. I guess the rest of 3.50 is handling
    for her.
    It is not thick, envelope reg.manila almost 6 x almost 9. I guess from home meter- service on ebay. 3 0z. printed on envelope usps first class mail, eltronic rate approved on bottom. Then stamped balance due 5.31. I will get receipt tomorrow from payment to post office- rural mail.
    I had guessed at envelope at first I measured.

Banned
    Blog Entries

YES...if it was more than 1/4" thick it is called a Parcel and costs like crazy...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

YES...if it was more than 1/4" thick it is called a Parcel and costs like crazy...
    what happens if I refuse postage, I don't get thr item and I don't think it was more than a 1/4".
    have to try to get my money back. I" will let you know what happens at post office. It seems crazy, 3.50 paid by me to sender, and post office 5.31. I will find the answer I hope. For me that is 9.11 shipping. for a little, lite envelope

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting all this info. I've been curious on the best way to send fabric, shouldn't be such a problem untill this sort of thing comes up :(

no wonder the post office is in trouble, they can't get their act together. I mailed a fat quarter in a business envelope, put 2 44 cent stamps and it came back postage due 20 cents after 6 weeks.

Did your seller add any extras, Insurance, priority mail, delivery notification, signature required? Was this from outside the US? That will also add to the cost of postage.
    All of these add up and may have added to the cost.
    Just a thought..
    Happy quilitng, Susan

I think I would take it to the post office. I have mailed things first class package that cost less. If I am sending out fabric or a book it goes first class if it is under 13 oz. I am very curious what the post office says.

Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
    no wonder the post office is in trouble, they can't get their act together. I mailed a fat quarter in a business envelope, put 2 44 cent stamps and it came back postage due 20 cents after 6 weeks.
    the days of doing this are over - your FQ may have qualified as a parcel (FC) - minimum $1.71. even if it is only an ounce.

I got a package from a QB member last year, payment for something but she included a little bean bag (?) so it came postage due - turned a letter into a parcel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast