Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Re-gifting and me-gifting. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/re-gifting-me-gifting-t205951.html)

GrandmaDD 11-16-2012 11:00 AM

I planned for all the years I put savings into tax deferred annuity to use it for "play money". Every year now since I had to start drawing it out I give myself a big "happy birthday" present, me-gifting, right?

redpurselady 11-16-2012 11:41 AM

I me-gift myself all the time. Saves me having to explain to DH why I would want a particular item. Last me-gift was a red Dooney Burke purse for my birthday.

chris_quilts 11-16-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MTS (Post 5658711)
Isn't that the BEST thing ever!!!!

I can't think of any other mechanical or electronic device/appliance that can claim the same thing over such a long period of time.

Brilliant on the part of KA design.

Vintage Singer sewing machines - many attachments are interchangeable between the different models.

I have me-gifted on occasion because I will like the gift from DH or DDs. One year, I bought myself a nice handmade wooden replacement sewing box complete with 5 yards of fabric and a quilt pattern book that I wanted. DH thought he gave me a great gift that year.

Sandygirl 11-17-2012 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady (Post 5661204)
I me-gift myself all the time. Saves me having to explain to DH why I would want a particular item. Last me-gift was a red Dooney Burke purse for my birthday.

Sweet!!! I'm the same way with Coach!! Great purses (leather only for me). I bought my first Coach Classic Leather Willis (large) back in 1993. $340.00. My boyfriend at the time now husband thought that was ridiculous! He had just purchased a kayak for $1200 by the way.....almost 20 years later I still use my Willis ( i clean the leather and the brass findings) and he has probably used that kayak 4 times ! NOW tell me....who has gotten their $$$ worth?!!

I treat myself to a new leather Coach purse every few years and yes i use them all! Dooney has some gorgeous styles this year... As does coach. Hmmmmmm

Sandy

Nonna Judi 11-17-2012 07:35 PM

I had never heard the term "me-gifting" until reading this thread. I do it all the time, especially while Christmas shopping They have such neat things at the time of year! I am an adult with my own income, so if I want something, I jusy buy it. No questions asked!

Sandygirl 12-11-2013 04:48 PM

Tis the season! Who's re-gifting and/or me-gifting this season? Confess!

sandy

mom-6 12-11-2013 05:01 PM

I occasionally gift an item that I already have to someone else if they want/need it. A couple years ago a friend's daughter (who is like family) was wanting a sewing machine so I gave her the one I used less since I had gotten a Featherweight that I use all the time. Guess you could say I me-gifted myself the Featherweight.

lynnie 12-12-2013 01:00 PM

I love to collect gems from all over. I buy cheap, and bring them to my jeweler with a picture of what I want it made up as. or, I pick something out at the jeweler and he puts it away. when my dh goes in, he doesn't have to hope that I like it, it's already there for him to pick out what I want, all he has to do is pay. I have a great relationship with my jeweler. Known him for years, so I get great prices. If I had to pay retail, i'd own nothing, But I buy wholesale or direct from Bancock on gems and such, cut out all the middlemen and have a customized pc.

quiltin-nannie 12-13-2013 05:14 AM

I have never re-gifted (lots of me-gifts though). My brother and sister-in-law have....once. They received a wedding gift from his best friend. When said friend got married a year later, they gave them that gift. What's really funny is that they had unknowingly left the wedding card in the bottom of the box! I don't think they were quite as good of friends after that!

BellaBoo 12-13-2013 07:51 AM

I re gift all the time. For some reason I get a lot of candles or candle warmers. I don't use candles or warmers so I regift those but only to someone I know likes candles. I megift all the time.