Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   She's still searching for adopted daughter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/shes-still-searching-adopted-daughter-t155036.html)

Ramona Byrd 09-22-2011 03:14 PM

A few days ago I got some older (August/September/1987) Threads magazines from our local library's used book room. In one of these at the end of the pages was an article with pictures of a quilt she made for her newborn daughter, to take to her new home 1976 or 77. As an unwed mother she was forced to give up her baby, but the Nuns in the mother's home taught her to sew enough to make both herself and the baby quilts alike. She shows a picture of it, with cream squares and smaller colored 9 squares, all edged and bound in green.
She said that she hoped her baby would grow up with this quilt, the social worker promised that it would go with the baby.
Wouldn't it be marvelous if that 30 something lady would be a member of this quilting forum?
This really did make me tear up on reading it.

Theresa 09-22-2011 03:16 PM

Is there any way you can photograph the pic of the quilt and post it here?

gingerpie 09-22-2011 03:16 PM

Interesting story , Hope they can be reunited some day

quiltinggirl 09-22-2011 03:21 PM

Oh gosh, your story gave me goose bumps! I am going to be in prayer that the daughter is a part of this QB and that she is directed to this post. You are right . . . it would be a grand reunion if you are the one who can reunite mother/daughter with your post. God bless you for posting this!! :)

QuiltingKrazy 09-22-2011 03:23 PM

It could happen. Just gotta believe and have faith.

Ramona Byrd 09-22-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Theresa

-------------------------------------
Sure wish I could, have a not so old printer that I've yet to learn how to even print out what I put on the screen...

I keep on thinking how that 18 year old must have felt when she was sewing this fabric. She got them from her Grandmother's closet in pieces after the funeral, said she attended it in spite of her embarrassed parents' objections. No one else would want the scraps so she made use of them.

Sheila_H 09-22-2011 03:31 PM

Wow that would be such an amazing story to see her today with that quilt. Would almost be worth the effort to see if a local news outlet would pick up the story and see if anyone responds. I truly hope that person grew up in a happy home with lots of love, and that precious quilt.

great aunt jacqui 09-22-2011 03:48 PM

That would be awesome if she were on this board and remembered the quilt..but hope if she chooses not to come forward , as many adoptees do, we wish her the best.

Theresa 09-22-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

Originally Posted by Theresa

-------------------------------------
Sure wish I could, have a not so old printer that I've yet to learn how to even print out what I put on the screen...

I keep on thinking how that 18 year old must have felt when she was sewing this fabric. She got them from her Grandmother's closet in pieces after the funeral, said she attended it in spite of her embarrassed parents' objections. No one else would want the scraps so she made use of them.

Actually, you need a scanner to scan the pic/article. Then, you just transfer to the QB. In reality, it probably is more complex than this.

Is there anything said about where this happened; a place of birth? What a kind, wonderful story.

Ramona Byrd 09-22-2011 08:08 PM

Is there anything said about where this happened; a place of birth? What a kind, wonderful story.[/quote]

-------------------------------
Just re-read that story, it said she wrote under the name of Carolyn Hamilton (not her own) and is now married with two
other children and works as an Art Therapist in a mental health center in the mid-west.