Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Stain Remover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stain-remover-t210246.html)

quilterj 01-06-2013 08:51 AM

Stain Remover

What is the best stain remover? I spilled some cooking oil on my kitchen floor and
and as I was cleaning it up not realizing it I had nealt down on the floor and with my
good jeans got my knee in it. I right away tried washing it out with dawn dish soap
and hot water. This morning it was almost dry and looked like it still didn't come out.
I now have corn starch on it but not sure if it is too late. I just looked it up about the
corn starch.

grocifer 01-06-2013 09:38 AM

I once spilled oil from a french fryer into a basket of clothes. All the oil came out with plenty of cornstarch. I usually apply quite a bit and then let it set overnight or until ready to do wash again. This has worked for me for 40+ years and always keep cornstarch handy in my laundry room.

BellaBoo 01-06-2013 09:42 AM

I don't know about big oil spots, it may take several washings to get it all out. I get oil and grease splatters on my clothes from cooking. I've been using Tide Pods and the stains come out without any special treatment. Dreft baby spray for stains works for stubborn stains.

romanojg 01-06-2013 09:43 AM

Dawn dishwashing liquid; normally will get it out; may have to soak. I also like resolve; it has spray n wash in it, I've even gotten old stains out. Then my other favorite is Simple clean, it can be used on everything including your dogs and it will kill the fleas and whiten thier fur.

TanyaL 01-06-2013 09:48 AM

I use dishwasher soap like Cascade dissolved in boiling water, just enough to cover the clothing and let the clothing soak in the cooled (somewhat) soap and water until I am ready to wash it in the washer, usually a day or so.

dakotamaid 01-06-2013 10:16 AM

I use Goop, have it around anyway for my hubby's greasy clothes and hands. Just rub it in and let sit a few minutes or even overnight.

hopetoquilt 01-06-2013 05:28 PM

Zout (not Shout) is awesome. Takes stains out of clothes, carpet and our sofas. Love it!

Novice.for.now 01-06-2013 05:53 PM

I would like to suggest something an antique restorer once suggested (on a TV show). Take equal parts of Joy dishwashing liquid and Clorox II powder. Mix and put on the stain. I have had wonderful success with this and have not seen any damage to my fabric/garments. I have added some water if I had a large item that needed totally soaked instead of spot treated. This has gotten bad stains out that had been set by the dryer, though sometimes I have to treat 2-3 times and/or let soak for quite awhile.

Charquilter 01-07-2013 07:40 AM

Amen to the Goop post. Ive been using it for decades on everything. The only thing it won't remove completely is black tea stain. Don't get any other waterless hand cleaner, I've tried them. Only Goop works. In Walmart its in the automotive section and in auto supply stores. And it's gentle, and nonsudsing, good for quilts.

Sunnye 01-07-2013 06:43 PM

For oil stains, if all else fails, try PineSol.