Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Treatment for Fungis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/treatment-fungis-t191823.html)

Happy Linda 06-15-2012 06:01 AM

Treatment for Fungis

Dr. Oz said to use a solution of equal amounts of vinegar and mouth wash. Spray on feet 2 times a day. It works better than any over the counter drug.

amandasgramma 06-15-2012 06:09 AM

Many years ago I was wearing false nails. I got a fungus under 2 nails. The doctor said to take them off and never wear them that I'd never get rid of the fungus. I bought some liquid athlete's foot stuff and put it under and on the nail. Within 1 month, the fungus was gone. If I ever get a fungus again, I'll try your method. I'd heard mouthwash helps many things. Could be because it has alcohol????

ptquilts 06-15-2012 06:20 AM

I am currently trying the VapoRub method on toenail fungus. I am surprised at how nice it smells. (the ointment, not my toes....)

willferg 06-15-2012 08:08 AM

I've been using vinegar and water and spraying it on my toes...did not hear the part about mouthwash!

postal packin' mama 06-15-2012 08:17 AM

so do any of these things seem to be helping yet?
and the toenails need to be free of nail polish too, right?

nativetexan 06-15-2012 09:13 AM

Hmmm, my husband has had fungus on his toenails for decades. he just lost the top section of his large toenail. still has nail but it's ugly as all get out!! i just bought some tea tree oil soak for his feet. he's diabetic and can hardly walk now, so a foot soak will help. I may try this too!

Fox 06-15-2012 11:50 AM

Decades? Me too. It has been cured twice: by pills. But I also had to have my blood tested every month for liver damage. And yes, it does comes back. I was told by a doctor that is hardly a way to get around it. If you are susceptible to it, you will get it; it may take time, but you will.

donnajean 06-15-2012 11:59 AM

My big toenail fungus issues stopped when I retired & stopped wearing panythose. I used one of the liquid fungus control over the counter products for about a yr. especially after cutting the nail & I have been fine for years now.

NikkiLu 06-15-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5290924)
Hmmm, my husband has had fungus on his toenails for decades. he just lost the top section of his large toenail. still has nail but it's ugly as all get out!! i just bought some tea tree oil soak for his feet. he's diabetic and can hardly walk now, so a foot soak will help. I may try this too!

My DH used Tea Tree Oil from WalMart and it cleared up his fungus immediately - he tells everybody about it!!!

coloradosky 06-15-2012 02:45 PM

Just went to the foot doctor a few weeks back for this exact problem. My right toe nail is so thick and was raising off the toe. At the base of the nail I have a raised section (feels almost bony) which the doctor tells me is caused from the thick nail growing. He removed most of the nail and I am using Rite Aid's version of Lamisil. It looks absolutely terrible. My toe nails usually grow very fast but I don't think it will ever grow back. He also removed my left large nail but I do remember hitting it against the bed and that nail is not thick. I have never had this problem before and have been retired for six years. Wear cotton socks and sneakers most of the winter.