Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vacuum Cleaners???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vacuum-cleaners-t206503.html)

lfstamper 11-20-2012 07:02 AM

Vacuum Cleaners????

Any one have a favorite vacuum cleaner for a sewing room? I have an Oreck and I hate it. The threads just wrap around the bar and clog it. I want to get a new one but have no idea what would work in a room full of fabrics, threads, etc! Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

quiltsRfun 11-20-2012 07:20 AM

Any vacuum with a rotating brush will give you the same problem. I vacuum threads with my small canister vac that has a hose, no brush.

romanojg 11-20-2012 07:58 AM

this is one of the reasons I have a seam ripper; to take the threads from my vacuum cleaner bar. it's going to happen to them all like that. I would love to have an Oreck again; it was the best machine that I had ever had.

RedGarnet222 11-20-2012 08:28 AM

My sear's canister has a wand attachment on-board that is easily accessed that works for those strings. I love this little guy, it has all the bells and whistles. But, my favorite is the retractable cord. LOL.

lfstamper 11-20-2012 08:35 AM

So maybe a cannister might be the answer. My oreck has the bag which does nor hold much.

Joset 11-20-2012 02:17 PM

i have a miele canister. i think that is the answer. i have hardwood floors.

jitkaau 11-21-2012 04:00 AM

The only way to stop the threads tangling on the brush is to stretch a stocking over the head when you vacuum. It is a good way to stop the pins from going into the vac. as well. Just make sure you secure the stocking tightly enough until all the loose things are out of the way and then you can give the room another go after the bits are off the floor.
I like the Dyson.

Edie 11-21-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper (Post 5669404)
Any one have a favorite vacuum cleaner for a sewing room? I have an Oreck and I hate it. The threads just wrap around the bar and clog it. I want to get a new one but have no idea what would work in a room full of fabrics, threads, etc! Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

I have the regular Oreck vacuum and yes, threads wrap around - that's normal for all uprights. I just take my seam ripper and pull the threads, no big deal. I also have the little Oreck for picking up the puzels on the floor. Works like a charm and then I can go out and clean out the car - it does have that much power. Love it!!!!! Edie

New knee 11-21-2012 05:41 AM

I use a toilet brush (bought new at the dollar store) to clean around my sewing area. It picks up threads and tiny scraps very well. (And it can be done sitting in my sewing chair!) lol

AZ Jane 11-21-2012 06:07 AM

Do you use a thread catcher beside your machine? I have 2 tables at right angles to each other. One is for cutting - I tape a small paper bag to the side, as I cut, I sweep small scraps into it. I have a thread catcher by my machine to put all cut threads and little corner snippets into. Nothing to vacuum any worse than any other room.