Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What type of iron do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-type-iron-do-you-use-t104784.html)

quiltingsavta 03-03-2011 06:03 PM

I have used everything from Black and Decker to Rowenta's and frankly I don't see the difference. I just spent $80 on sale for a Rowenta 2 weeks ago because the iron I was using fell and broke, so I decided to go for the "big one". In two weeks the metal plate is already discolored. I'm afraid it will leave marks. It has a self clean and I've already done that, but still it's the same. So far, it hasn't given me any real problem, but just curious what everyone else is using.

KatFish 03-03-2011 06:14 PM

What ever Wally world has cheap. I tend to kill one about one a year no matter the brand of how much it costs. I gave up buying the high priced irons. They don't last any longer that the cheap ones.

connie_1936 03-03-2011 06:50 PM

use a mr clean eraser on a cool iron to clean the soleplate

tlcquiltnut 03-03-2011 07:04 PM

the sole plates do dicolor on any iron it seems to me. I always use a Rowenta. My first one lasted 15 years. My second and third a year. I am not happy with them anymore and have heard good things about Oliso...I currently have almost worn out the B&D tht is less than a year old. So I am going to check out the Oliso

janRN 03-03-2011 07:06 PM

I agree with Kat Fish--whatever is cheapest. I never put water in my iron; I use a spray bottle. I can control the spray and not get spots or rust marks. When this one breaks, it's back to Walmart for another one.
My previous iron was a wedding gift-used it for 30years!! The cord finally came apart and couldn't be repaired. I think it lasted so long because I never put water in it.

IrishNY 03-03-2011 07:15 PM

I don't put water in my irons either. I just use a spray bottle. It seems like the main complaint about irons that I read on QB is about leaking. I'm hoping to avoid that.

Maggiesmom 03-03-2011 07:29 PM

I use a B & D and don't use water either.

Jill 03-03-2011 11:16 PM

I have a T-Fal this is about seven years old. I've heard so-so comments about the expensive irons, so I'll stay with the cheap ones. Thanks for mentioning the spray bottle. I don't like using water in mine.

jmabby 03-03-2011 11:26 PM

I love my Rowenta, the 3rd. They would last if I would quit dropping them on my cement basement floor, the plastic then breaks. I should keep it up stairs in the sewing room, but I just don't have the room. Once I had a Rowenta never went back to another.

phatquilts2 03-04-2011 04:01 AM

I love my Rowenta, sometimes I use steam and other times do not need it. Do not have spitting or leaking.

Also like the weight, power wattage and it is probably six years old with a great deal of use.