Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What type of iron do you use?

I have used everything from Black and Decker to Rowenta's and frankly I don't see the difference. I just spent $80 on sale for a Rowenta 2 weeks ago because the iron I was using fell and broke, so I decided to go for the "big one". In two weeks the metal plate is already discolored. I'm afraid it will leave marks. It has a self clean and I've already done that, but still it's the same. So far, it hasn't given me any real problem, but just curious what everyone else is using.

Blog Entries
    What ever Wally world has cheap. I tend to kill one about one a year no matter the brand of how much it costs. I gave up buying the high priced irons. They don't last any longer that the cheap ones.

Blog Entries
    use a mr clean eraser on a cool iron to clean the soleplate

the sole plates do dicolor on any iron it seems to me. I always use a Rowenta. My first one lasted 15 years. My second and third a year. I am not happy with them anymore and have heard good things about Oliso...I currently have almost worn out the B&D tht is less than a year old. So I am going to check out the Oliso

I agree with Kat Fish--whatever is cheapest. I never put water in my iron; I use a spray bottle. I can control the spray and not get spots or rust marks. When this one breaks, it's back to Walmart for another one.
    My previous iron was a wedding gift-used it for 30years!! The cord finally came apart and couldn't be repaired. I think it lasted so long because I never put water in it.

I don't put water in my irons either. I just use a spray bottle. It seems like the main complaint about irons that I read on QB is about leaking. I'm hoping to avoid that.

Blog Entries
    I use a B & D and don't use water either.

I have a T-Fal this is about seven years old. I've heard so-so comments about the expensive irons, so I'll stay with the cheap ones. Thanks for mentioning the spray bottle. I don't like using water in mine.

Blog Entries
    I love my Rowenta, the 3rd. They would last if I would quit dropping them on my cement basement floor, the plastic then breaks. I should keep it up stairs in the sewing room, but I just don't have the room. Once I had a Rowenta never went back to another.

I love my Rowenta, sometimes I use steam and other times do not need it. Do not have spitting or leaking.

Also like the weight, power wattage and it is probably six years old with a great deal of use.

Blog Entries
    This one now it was a good price and i use steam.

I love my oliso. I dont think I could ever go back to a regular iron again. It took me a year to finally cave in and get one. The biggest attraction to me is that the sole plate is facing down and no accidental bumps from my dane puppy whose nose is now higher than my ironing board or from my kiddo. My last iron was a black and decker that lasted until the dane and kiddo bumped the ironing board and it fell forward and rolled off my ironing board and shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcquiltnut
    the sole plates do dicolor on any iron it seems to me. I always use a Rowenta. My first one lasted 15 years. My second and third a year. I am not happy with them anymore and have heard good things about Oliso...I currently have almost worn out the B&D tht is less than a year old. So I am going to check out the Oliso
    Oooo thanks, haven't heard of this brand. Will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    I have a T-Fal this is about seven years old. I've heard so-so comments about the expensive irons, so I'll stay with the cheap ones. Thanks for mentioning the spray bottle. I don't like using water in mine.
    I'd like to know where one can find a Tfal these days. I want one and cannot find it even on line.

The cheapest Black and Decker from Walmart...it's lightweight and the last one lasted 4 yrs

Banned
    I'm with you. No matter how much you pay for them (Rowenta, Maytag), the expensive ones last until the day after the warranty expires. Which is a year. I bought a cheap Shark iron at Target and it's fine with me. It has good steam, get hot enough and was 22 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by janmwalker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    I'd like to know where one can find a Tfal these days. I want one and cannot find it even on line.
    I saw a T-Fal at K-Mart.