Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is your favorite old "saying"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-favorite-old-%22saying%22-t115876.html)

jad1044 04-14-2011 05:28 AM

"Getter' done!"

drw1mjw2 04-14-2011 05:32 AM

From the time your born, 'til you ride in the hearst - ani't nothing so bad that it can't get worst.

Doing a good job around here is like wetting your pants while wearing black slacks, you get a warm feeling but no one notices.

If you don't stop crying I am going to slap the poop out of you -and then slap you again for pooping.

Jumping around like a flea on a hot skillet.

Cute as a bugs ear.

Love is blind, but the neighbors aren't.

The older the barn, the more paint it takes. (My dad referring to women wearing make-up).

She used to be a 'tight end' but now she's a 'wide receiver'. (My dad referring to someone's back side).

If life were fair we would all be on the Riviera.

materialgrl 04-14-2011 05:32 AM

My parents were raised in the south,so I grew up with alot of these,I put my moms sayings on a quilt so my kids would know why I say somethings,But my favorite is,
"You never fly so high that your but don't hit the ground"

KATHLEEN'S DAUGHTER 04-14-2011 05:36 AM

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up the fastest.

Only two of my mother's lessons about life.

nancia 04-14-2011 05:39 AM

i was born in vermont and the old man who kept my aunt's farm hated the local banker. so every time someone mentioned him george would say, "that lawrence, he's dumber than a egg."

when my kids were little and naughty i'd tell them i loved them, but i didn't like what they had done. one day 3yr old joshua looked at me, shook his head and said, "i wuv you, mommy. but i don't wike you right now".

Josh sent me to my room one day because i wasn't being nice. i was enjoying the quiet time out (my dh was home) when josh came in and told me i could come out now, and i said no i can't. joshua asked why not? so i told him, i'm not ready to be nice. in our house it was nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

SandraD 04-14-2011 05:42 AM

If it is to be, it is up to me!

I was born a blond, but it's gotten darker over the years.

tntgranny 04-14-2011 05:46 AM

My grandmother's was "Play the hand you're dealt." It has gotten me through many a tough time. It's kind of like "when life gives you scraps - make quilts."

mtspools 04-14-2011 05:46 AM

DH use to say --Smart man knows nothing.

lillybeck 04-14-2011 06:08 AM

I have not read all of these but a few of my favorites are " Clean your plate because there are hungry kids overseas" Still have not figured that one out.lol

Another favorite is " Pretty is as pretty does" but my favorite is " Your walk talks and your talk talks but your walk talks louder than your talk talks"

pollym44 04-14-2011 06:11 AM

My grandfather had many. The ones that really stuck was "if it's not worth asking for, it's not worth having", and "a horse and buggy of your own is better than a cadillac of someone else". He taught us to appericate what we had and not touch and envy what others had. I LOVED THAT MAN!!!!! :-)