Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is your favorite old "saying"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-favorite-old-%22saying%22-t115876.html)

Catherine Marie 06-08-2011 07:24 AM

Not my pig, not my farm

Ramona Byrd 06-10-2011 07:58 PM

It was the slop bucket that got me ... and in our home it was the "Pigs Pail"! :)
------------------------------------------
Sometimes where I come from the "slop bucket" sometimes meant something more like the thunder mug that was kept under the bed. With a tight lid. Which sometimes did not work that well. Which meant that if at first you didn't have to go out back, then try to wait till morning, but if not, then put that lid on TIGHT!!

Ramona Byrd 06-10-2011 08:59 PM

It don't make me no never mind. ==I don't care.

He doesn't know his A%^& from a hole in the ground.

He can't find his A%&* with both hands.

He who laughs last, has a real slow mind.

My get up and go got up and went without me.

Cleanliness may be next to Godliness, but with kids it's next to impossible.

Bless her heart, she's got a rear end two axe handles wide.

ThayerRags 06-12-2011 07:16 PM

"Dryer'n a Popcorn F*rt!"

"I was looking for a job when I found this one."

"I'll slap you into next week!"

CD in Oklahoma

TonnieLoree 06-12-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
Actually, mine is one my husband brought from Germany-translated it says: If someone is born an a**hole, he can't die as a canary. . .(hope I haven't offended anyone)
Another (the German language is full of these)is: the soup is never eaten as hot as it was cooked.

I wonder if my dad has heard that. He is German and his folks immigrated from Germany.

nellie 06-12-2011 09:08 PM

i always say {god bless america}when i have to give someone some thing for them and im busy working and not wanting to stop what i'm doing instead of cusing thats one and i tell my grandkid,s i'll fix you up instead of saying spanking

Faiwee 10-07-2012 05:22 AM

My grandmother and Mother always said " If a task is once begun, never leave it till it's done. Be it great or be it small, do it well or not at all.

Ramona Byrd 10-07-2012 05:50 PM

Old Sayings

Beauty don't last but good cooking does.

Lazy as a hound dog sitting on a tack.

Mutton dressed up as lamb. (I'm not going to explain this one)

A whistling girl and a crowing hen, both come to no good end.

Don't squat down with your spurs on.

lynnie 10-07-2012 08:17 PM

Just a stones throw away...when measuring distance
$#!+ on a popsicle

For when things were bad.
the wrse they got the more youd add
ie frozen

MissM 10-07-2012 08:48 PM

I have enjoyed reading this and seen many of the sayings my Mom and Dad used to use. Here are two my Mom used all the time I didn't see:

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

It will all come out in the wash.