Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is your favorite old "saying"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-favorite-old-%22saying%22-t115876.html)

Airwick156 04-18-2011 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard

Another line I would catch myself saying due to the fact that all of our childrens names started with A's, well you know which one you are when I would say one name and actually meant one of the other ones.
My mother didn't have the excuse of our names starting with the same letter, but she often called us by our siblings names and would go thru the list till she got to the right name. Then she would laugh and say: Just calling the roll.

I used to forget my kids' names and I would go through all of them. I would say...Syndy, Tina, Mistydawn, Hesid, Emeth, Charlie, Gus, CRYSTAL...whatever one you are, you have to go to sleep at some point and when you do, I will remember who Im looking for. LOL

My grandpa used to say "Son of a sea serpent" instead of saying son of a B......

Airwick156 04-18-2011 01:29 AM

Oh for Pities Sake.

Faiwee 04-18-2011 10:32 AM

If a task is once begun, never leave it 'til it's done. Be it great or be it small, do it well or not at all.
Both my mother and Grandmother said this.

ashlett 04-18-2011 11:41 AM

Mine is `no fool like an old fool` and over and over I have seen this proved right!!

jskbloomers 04-18-2011 11:54 AM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

katykwilt 04-20-2011 10:47 AM

We grew up in the sticks (another old saying, I guess), but to us the slop pail was for anything that could be passed to the hogs (although there was an extra can for coffee grounds and egg shells for the chickens) and the honey bucket was the chamber pot. We heard "waste not, want not" a lot.

Originally Posted by Aurora
In my grandmother's house, it was called a "slop jar" aka "chamber pot". No pigs involved.

Lizzie 04-25-2011 02:34 PM

Silence is GOLDEN

Out of the frying pan into the fire

What goes around -- Comes around

Don't put the cart before the horse

jljack 04-25-2011 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by S D G
The 1 I remember is What goes around comes around.

Me too....and it has proved true!!

Kas 04-25-2011 03:18 PM

Lately I have been feeling what my Mema used to say, "I was born tired and had a relapse!"

mzsooz 06-07-2011 11:28 PM

"Dig deep the puppy is in the bottom" said when dishing up a stew or something.

"lower than a snake's belt buckle" said when feeling blue.

"Your eyes look like two burnt holes in an indian blanket" said when you didn't look too good.

"funnier than a two story outhouse"

"two heads are better than one even if one is a cabbage head"

"thats a heck of a note said the monkey as he farted in the tuba"

"strung around like a mad woman's s--t"

these gems are from my grams. I could go on and on and on......