Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is your favorite old "saying"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-favorite-old-%22saying%22-t115876.html)

pollyjvan9 04-14-2011 04:42 PM

Been reading again, one of my favorite things to say is, "In 10 years it won't mean a thing".

RCOGGINS 04-14-2011 04:46 PM

I hurt like a dog in a steel trap.

madamekelly 04-14-2011 05:04 PM

Here are a few I grew up with-
He's one fry short of a happy meal.
When we were in front of the TV-Your daddy ain't a winder maker! (Said by Dad)
It's colder than a witches t-t in a brass bra!
(If dinner filled you up)-You sure ruined my appetite!
I know where you sleep....
Don't let your alligator mouth over ride your hummingbird butt.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, all you do is waste your time, and annoy the pig.
I gave you life, I can take it back!
Stop painting me with her/his brush.
Engage brain, before starting mouth.
That smells so bad, it would knock a buzzard off a s--t wagon.
I have one nerve left, and you're on it!
It's so ugly, it would make a freight train take a dirt road.
And, my all time favorite, "Jesus H. Christ!" Usually said by my father, when he found something else, that us kids should not have done! (sorry if it offends, and I still don't know what the H stands for.)
Can't tell my family is from Texas and Kentucky can you? LMBO!
:lol:

crafty_linda_b 04-14-2011 05:09 PM

My Mom was the one who had lots of sayings..
she would say: you're just as happy as if you had good sense *L*
also when she made a mistake she'd say: sh!t & one make seven
no offence to the dutch but she would say: what's the sense of being dumb if you aren't dutch?
Or she'd tell us: we had constipation of the brain and diahrea of the mouth
or if we'd forget something: what you don't have in your head you have to have in your feet..
on a cold night: its cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey

Quiltmaniac2010 04-14-2011 05:22 PM

My grandfather was from the Maritimes and he had some priceless sayings. Here are the ones I can remember.
"that smells bad enough to drive a dog off a gut wagon",
"not worth a pinch of coon sh*t", (meaning racoon which probably isn't worth very much at all!)
"it fits you like a good kick in the ass", (I think this is actually a Newfoundland expression when something fit you perfectly!)
"she could talk the hind leg off a dog"
"it's better to fart than bust a gut and be lame"
"don't talk so loose"
My mother's favourite expression was "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I LOVE this post!! Please keep sending your family expressions! It is interesting to see the different ones from all over the US and Canada!

galvestonangel 04-14-2011 05:24 PM

My Mom would tell me "You shouldn't cry over spilt milk"
and a bunch of the ones already mentioned.

My sister would tell me (A perfectionist) "It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse", I still haven't figured that one out.

My other sister had one "For crying in the bucket" used when things weren't going right.

A modern one is the definition of studipity "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Don't worry, be happy.

I love reading all of the sayings, some bring back a lot of memories.

Toni-in-Texas 04-14-2011 05:30 PM

Our two sons say that what I told them when they were young is burned in their brains for all time.

"Look with your eyes and not with you hands."

sarahconner 04-14-2011 05:46 PM

My Momma use to always say, "what goes around, comes around". When I was really young I didn't understand it, but now not a problem

buslady 04-14-2011 05:48 PM

There but for the grace of GOD go I. I love that saying, keeps things in perspective. Discourages looking down on others.

QuiltE 04-14-2011 05:49 PM

Oh, for the love of Pete!