Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's so wrong with being a homebody? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-so-wrong-being-homebody-t36269.html)

Butterfli19 02-07-2010 04:46 PM

Why do most people tell me I need to "get out" more? What does that mean, anyway? Because they do I should?

I've always been a loner, socially awkward, much prefer to be doing my own thing. After I divorced I spent my time raising my kids and as you may know, the single person doesn't mesh well with couples.

Fast forward 17 years and I still prefer to be home, or doing things by myself. Not including time I spend with the kids and family, I just really have no friends, but that never bothered me because I have never really had many, and I have so many interests that I prefer.

Does anyone else feel like this? I'm perfectly fine with me, I'm just tired of trying to convince everyone else. I feel like they don't believe me. Maybe they just don't know me that well. Or maybe they would like to? hmmm...

seamstress 02-07-2010 04:56 PM

i am not single but I prefer to be home.I spend time with my the family and grandkids.from reading your post it sounds like me.

calicoquilter 02-07-2010 04:58 PM

Butterfli 19
I'm the same way. People keep telling me I should travel. I even bought a vacation home in a small mountain town thinking that would help me get away. Found out that I don't want to get away, so I am now selling the vacation home. I would rather stay at home and quilt or read. I have other interests too. I do understand how you feel. Some people are just naturally home bodies.

barnbum 02-07-2010 05:13 PM

I'm the same way. I love my job as a teacher, but feel awkward in social situations with adults. I like being home and moving from horses to quilting. There's no where I want to go. Thankfully, hubby is the same way. At school I never go to the social stuff after--always need to get home. We rarely have anyone here except our kids or someone who wants to see the horses. I feel comfortable when folks come here--but I don't want to go out.

I haven't spent the night away from home since 2001--and that was only once. ;-)

carrieg 02-07-2010 05:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with that. There's lots of us! The ones telling you that are just extroverts or social types who cannot understand being comfortable alone. They think alone means lonely. There's lonely and there's solitude.

NorBanaquilts 02-07-2010 05:18 PM

There's nothing wrong with being a homebody. I'm that way too, I'd rather be home than anywhere else!

lfw045 02-07-2010 05:23 PM

You're fine.......after all......home is where the heart is. :^)

quazyquilter 02-07-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Why do most people tell me I need to "get out" more? What does that mean, anyway? Because they do I should?

I've always been a loner, socially awkward, much prefer to be doing my own thing. After I divorced I spent my time raising my kids and as you may know, the single person doesn't mesh well with couples.

Fast forward 17 years and I still prefer to be home, or doing things by myself. Not including time I spend with the kids and family, I just really have no friends, but that never bothered me because I have never really had many, and I have so many interests that I prefer.

Does anyone else feel like this? I'm perfectly fine with me, I'm just tired of trying to convince everyone else. I feel like they don't believe me. Maybe they just don't know me that well. Or maybe they would like to? hmmm...

YOU have plenty of friends, you have all of us!!!!

Pam B 02-07-2010 05:44 PM

I think it has to do with personality types. I teach school but prefer to be at home when I can. I love to entertain...we always have a houseful at holiday time. But, an example is tonite...I had no desire to go to a Super Bowl party where I would have to mingle and make small talk. I much prefer to be here at home watching the game and playing on my laptop. And I prefer daytrips to overnite trips...I don't have the hassle of boarding the dog, etc. Yes, I am a homebody as well and I see nothing wrong with it.

renee765 02-07-2010 06:35 PM

In my opinion, you're pretty normal. I became a widow a couple of years ago, my grown-up kids and grandbabies all live in town (but not with me - perfect world!) and I'm living alone for the first time in my 59 years.

I have to say I am really enjoying it. I wouldn't have chosen this, but since this is what life has handed me, I've found that I like being alone. I work during the day and get along well with the folks at work. But when I come home, it's peace and quiet and whatever I want to do.

I've often told myself that I need to get involved in church, or join a quilting guild, or something like that. But I've finally come to realize that I enjoy my own company and don't want to change that right now. I figure that when I retire I'll get the ambition to get more involved in community, but we'll see what happens when that time gets here.

I think people who tell you that you need to get out more may be people who are more extroverted - they get their energy from being around others. I am introverted - I get my energy from alone time. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as I am happy.