Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's your claim to fame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-your-claim-fame-t134744.html)

dd 07-02-2011 12:01 PM

My husband came home from work the other day and said "Guess who I was standing beside today." Could be so many people, Who?
Kate Goslin! Oh, goodie for you. He was quite proud of himself. Personally, I didn't quite see it. But he just might be on TV. He's just trying to keep up with our daughter and grandson. They were on OCC when they made a bike for Fallen Heros. Our daughter was in uniform holding her son and looking up at the American flag. The photographer was behind them. It was a beautiful shot. Our son and his Christian/rock band have played at Six Flags. OK, I'm still waiting.

So, what is your claim to fame?

Charlee 07-02-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dd
My husband came home from work the other day and said "Guess who I was standing beside today." Could be so many people, Who?
Kate Goslin! Oh, goodie for you. He was quite proud of himself. Personally, I didn't quite see it. But he just might be on TV. He's just trying to keep up with our daughter and grandson. They were on OCC when they made a bike for Fallen Heros. Our daughter was in uniform holding her son and looking up at the American flag. The photographer was behind them. It was a beautiful shot. Our son and his Christian/rock band have played at Six Flags. OK, I'm still waiting.

So, what is your claim to fame?

Well...let's see. I was raised near Aspen, CO during it's heyday...my mom was the Assistant Director of Nurses there...so saw lots of celebs at one time or another...John Denver, James Arness, Phyllis Diller, etc. Lucille Ball was a patient in the hospital when she shattered her leg in the 70's...my mom was one of her favorite nurses. I have the ring that Lucy bought for my mom when she left the hospital after a six week stay.

genafan201 07-02-2011 12:13 PM

I've had dinner with Connie Seleca and her (then) husband Gil Gerard...God I lead a dull life :)

CoyoteQuilts 07-02-2011 01:13 PM

Enjoy western festivals and have met many of the 'old' time western actors. Was lucky enough to meet a few that died shortly after meeting them. Dennis Weaver is one that comes to mind.

tutt 07-02-2011 01:28 PM

I met the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and spent a couple of hours with them, a friend was helping them with equipment and met Steve Martin, he was touring with them on the college circuit. Must have been 1970 or 1971....shows my age doesn't it :)

kateyb 07-02-2011 01:33 PM

I was once in line at a local western supply store behind someone that looked kind of familiar. He was wearing scuffed up cowboy boots, well worn jeans, faded western shirt, battered cowboy hat. I was hoping when he turned around I wouldn't embarrass my self by not knowing who he was. He turned around and said, "They seem to be very busy today." I was looking at Robert Redford. I think, after the momentary shock, my answer was something like, "Uh, yeh they are." He is, very much, a gentleman.

DebraK 07-02-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I was once in line at a local western supply store behind someone that looked kind of familiar. He was wearing scuffed up cowboy boots, well worn jeans, faded western shirt, battered cowboy hat. I was hoping when he turned around I wouldn't embarrass my self by not knowing who he was. He turned around and said, "They seem to be very busy today." I was looking at Robert Redford. I think, after the momentary shock, my answer was something like, "Uh, yeh they are." He is, very much, a gentleman.

Those are the best kind of happenstances. You don't have to make a big deal. A smile, a nod, or wink of recognition goes a long ways in making it easier for celebrities to be just one of us.

auntpiggylpn 07-02-2011 01:43 PM

I had drinks with the mayor of our city at a Benefit auction/dinner/dance and talked with his wife about folding his underwear!!!

QuiltingJaguar 07-02-2011 01:44 PM

I ate at a McDonalds once!

DebraK 07-02-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingJaguar
I ate at a McDonalds once!

ahahahahaa!