Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 151

Thread: What's your claim to fame?

  1. #1
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,744
    My husband came home from work the other day and said "Guess who I was standing beside today." Could be so many people, Who?
    Kate Goslin! Oh, goodie for you. He was quite proud of himself. Personally, I didn't quite see it. But he just might be on TV. He's just trying to keep up with our daughter and grandson. They were on OCC when they made a bike for Fallen Heros. Our daughter was in uniform holding her son and looking up at the American flag. The photographer was behind them. It was a beautiful shot. Our son and his Christian/rock band have played at Six Flags. OK, I'm still waiting.

    So, what is your claim to fame?

  2. #2
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by dd
    My husband came home from work the other day and said "Guess who I was standing beside today." Could be so many people, Who?
    Kate Goslin! Oh, goodie for you. He was quite proud of himself. Personally, I didn't quite see it. But he just might be on TV. He's just trying to keep up with our daughter and grandson. They were on OCC when they made a bike for Fallen Heros. Our daughter was in uniform holding her son and looking up at the American flag. The photographer was behind them. It was a beautiful shot. Our son and his Christian/rock band have played at Six Flags. OK, I'm still waiting.

    So, what is your claim to fame?

    Well...let's see. I was raised near Aspen, CO during it's heyday...my mom was the Assistant Director of Nurses there...so saw lots of celebs at one time or another...John Denver, James Arness, Phyllis Diller, etc. Lucille Ball was a patient in the hospital when she shattered her leg in the 70's...my mom was one of her favorite nurses. I have the ring that Lucy bought for my mom when she left the hospital after a six week stay.

  3. #3
    Junior Member genafan201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rogers, MN, USA
    Posts
    218
    I've had dinner with Connie Seleca and her (then) husband Gil Gerard...God I lead a dull life :)

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,305
    Enjoy western festivals and have met many of the 'old' time western actors. Was lucky enough to meet a few that died shortly after meeting them. Dennis Weaver is one that comes to mind.

  5. #5
    Super Member tutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,040
    I met the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and spent a couple of hours with them, a friend was helping them with equipment and met Steve Martin, he was touring with them on the college circuit. Must have been 1970 or 1971....shows my age doesn't it :)

  6. #6
    Super Member kateyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Posts
    2,247
    I was once in line at a local western supply store behind someone that looked kind of familiar. He was wearing scuffed up cowboy boots, well worn jeans, faded western shirt, battered cowboy hat. I was hoping when he turned around I wouldn't embarrass my self by not knowing who he was. He turned around and said, "They seem to be very busy today." I was looking at Robert Redford. I think, after the momentary shock, my answer was something like, "Uh, yeh they are." He is, very much, a gentleman.

  7. #7
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    Quote Originally Posted by kateyb
    I was once in line at a local western supply store behind someone that looked kind of familiar. He was wearing scuffed up cowboy boots, well worn jeans, faded western shirt, battered cowboy hat. I was hoping when he turned around I wouldn't embarrass my self by not knowing who he was. He turned around and said, "They seem to be very busy today." I was looking at Robert Redford. I think, after the momentary shock, my answer was something like, "Uh, yeh they are." He is, very much, a gentleman.
    Those are the best kind of happenstances. You don't have to make a big deal. A smile, a nod, or wink of recognition goes a long ways in making it easier for celebrities to be just one of us.

  8. #8
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    I had drinks with the mayor of our city at a Benefit auction/dinner/dance and talked with his wife about folding his underwear!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member QuiltingJaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,038
    Blog Entries
    3
    I ate at a McDonalds once!

  10. #10
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingJaguar
    I ate at a McDonalds once!
    ahahahahaa!

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    1,943
    I was new to my job at Costco. Having a short break at the food court, I spotted a fellow who looked just like Richard Gere. When he finished eating, he came close to my table to empty his tray. He looked at me and smiled. I HAD to say "I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but you really resemble Richard Gere". And then he said,"Well, what if was WAS Richard Gere?" I said to him, "Then being a huge fan of the movie "Shall We Dance", I'd ask you to dance with me". Guess what? He extended his arm, I stood and took his hand and he spun me around and 'dipped' me!!!" I later found out that Richard Gere actually shopped at that Costco often on his way out to his house in the Hamptons (eastern Long Island) I died a little bit that day!!

  12. #12
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,313
    Blog Entries
    45
    i once went on a date with Garth Brooks before he was famous.

  13. #13
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i once went on a date with Garth Brooks before he was famous.
    WOW!!!!

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    1,542
    DOUBLE WOW!

  15. #15
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i once went on a date with Garth Brooks before he was famous.
    soooo, how was he? ;-)

  16. #16
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,252
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was in a movie, Future World. just one of the many office workers going up an escalator when Blyth Danner and Peter Fonda were coming down.

    but Richard Gere dancing in Costo's . can't beat that!!

  17. #17
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    Quote Originally Posted by tutt
    I met the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and spent a couple of hours with them, a friend was helping them with equipment and met Steve Martin, he was touring with them on the college circuit. Must have been 1970 or 1971....shows my age doesn't it :)
    yep, I was heckled as a student on campus, passing by Robin Williams before his "Mork and Mindy" days. He wore the rainbow suspenders and everything.

    Wouldn't call that a claim to fame though ;-)

  18. #18
    Senior Member momcpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Central West Virginia
    Posts
    666
    I Was Chief Petty Officer of the Day in Puerto Rico ,met and shook hands with fmr Pres George G. W. and Barbara Bush, saw Lou Farigno in the PITT airport.

  19. #19
    Junior Member apronlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C
    I was new to my job at Costco. Having a short break at the food court, I spotted a fellow who looked just like Richard Gere. When he finished eating, he came close to my table to empty his tray. He looked at me and smiled. I HAD to say "I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but you really resemble Richard Gere". And then he said,"Well, what if was WAS Richard Gere?" I said to him, "Then being a huge fan of the movie "Shall We Dance", I'd ask you to dance with me". Guess what? He extended his arm, I stood and took his hand and he spun me around and 'dipped' me!!!" I later found out that Richard Gere actually shopped at that Costco often on his way out to his house in the Hamptons (eastern Long Island) I died a little bit that day!!
    WOW...was it the Holbrook Costco? That's my hangout of Costcos here...what a neat story! Thanks for sharing!

  20. #20
    Super Member Yooper32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tippy-top of a ridge in WV
    Posts
    6,355
    I was only seated close to fame many years ago. One of my daughters and I were at a restaurant in Redstone, CO. A very quaint old mining town turned tourist stop. I had my back to her, but had noticed a baby pram that was NOT bought at Wally. My daughter gestured in that direction and mimed, "is that Goldie Hawn over there?", so I causually turned and sure enough . It was that many years ago, that was her baby daughter. If you didn't know how she looked au natural, you would never have guessed, no make-up hair in a little pony tail and of course, the standard dark glasses. We knew that she often traveled around our area of CO and did not welcome being noticed, so we let her get on with her lunch same as we did. We lived in Redstone at the time. I also had another encounter with the whole family several years later, but that is another story.

  21. #21
    Super Member Kooklabell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    RVing in USA and Canada
    Posts
    1,416
    I was on "That's Incredible" in 1983 - I taught a duck to read.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,275
    There was this locak trouble shoter on the local TV station he came in to the store and bought some shoes for his kids he gave me his credit card and it was not signed so asked for a photo ID his answer was you know me I told him that it was company policy and I had to set an example for the kids I had working for me

  23. #23
    Super Member Teacup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,330
    My dad saw Lassie once!

    (Doesn't beat dancing with Richard Gere in Costco!)

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    1,943
    Yes, it was the Holbrook Costco nearly 6 years ago. I still giggle when I think of it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by apronlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C
    I was new to my job at Costco. Having a short break at the food court, I spotted a fellow who looked just like Richard Gere. When he finished eating, he came close to my table to empty his tray. He looked at me and smiled. I HAD to say "I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but you really resemble Richard Gere". And then he said,"Well, what if was WAS Richard Gere?" I said to him, "Then being a huge fan of the movie "Shall We Dance", I'd ask you to dance with me". Guess what? He extended his arm, I stood and took his hand and he spun me around and 'dipped' me!!!" I later found out that Richard Gere actually shopped at that Costco often on his way out to his house in the Hamptons (eastern Long Island) I died a little bit that day!!
    WOW...was it the Holbrook Costco? That's my hangout of Costcos here...what a neat story! Thanks for sharing!

  25. #25
    Senior Member barking-rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    east of Seattle
    Posts
    430
    Rode in an elevater wuth Bob Seger and band.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.