Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
USPS damaged package- how I got my claim online >

USPS damaged package- how I got my claim online

USPS damaged package- how I got my claim online

Old 12-12-2017, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Default USPS damaged package- how I got my claim online

I ordered a package from Etsy last Christmas and it arrived destroyed.
It was gourmet candies, fabulous stuff.
Got online to the USPS site, answered the questions, added photos of
the mess, within a week I got a check for the entire amount.
Note- this was shipped Priority and I paid $100.00 for it. I don't know if the seller
insured it for more than the automatic $50.00 you get when you use
Priority but I got the full amount.

I don't think you'd have any trouble with a lost package either, except
for the timeline, which could be longer.

Online claims are really easy! It was the only one I've done but it was painless.
I couldn't believe I had the check so fast. USPS isn't known for speed.

The reason I posted this is because Sewingsuz had a possible issue with a lost package (happily resolved though)

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 12-12-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:26 AM

I would have just made a claim with the Etsy seller and let them handle it. It is up to the seller to get you the package in good condition.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Yes, the seller could have but I chose to do it myself. The box was destroyed- opened and wet, not the seller's fault. USPS should never have delivered it that way. I provided USPS with photos. I've bought from her several times w/o any problems.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I agree with you SusieQOH. It was someone's fault at USPS. That is where I would have started also.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 AM

I am an etsy seller, and I package all of my items with care. After I take the package to the Post Office I have absolutely no control of how the package will be delivered to the recipient and can not assume the responsibility for what happens after it leaves my hands. If I order something from Etsy and it arrives in horrible condition, I believe it is my job to take the matter up with USPS, not the Etsy seller's job, unless it is evident that the Etsy seller did a bad job of packing it. Because I am an Etsy seller I would be interested in seeing what buyers expect. Let me know. Thanks,

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I would have just made a claim with the Etsy seller and let them handle it. It is up to the seller to get you the package in good condition.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Julie, I agree with you. The box was open, wet, and looked like it got caught in something. USPS should never have sent it to me in that condition. The seller was absolutely not at fault.
I've bought and sold on Ebay in the past and know all about shipping. I've had packages ruined by USPS but also by sellers who had poor packing practices. That's a different story. But the woman I buy the candies from is meticulous.
The whole point of my post was to help people file a claim, not to point fingers- except at the USPS They drive me nuts! I was shocked at how quickly I got my refund, really shocked. They aren't known for speed.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:29 AM

I agree 100% with you SusieQOH. So far I have been extremely lucky with any shipping I have done, and have never had any delivered packages damaged either. I am knocking on wood!
In the Etsy forums I am completely surprised at the number of people that think it is the sellers fault for non-delivered and damaged packages when we have absolutely no control after the packages have left our hands. People are amazing!
Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Julie, at least if you ship Priority you have some insurance. First Class can be iffy but overall, I've had few problems.
I wish you could have seen the box they left at my door.
People always want someone to blame, that's how I see it I'm sure you're doing a fine job and all we can do is our best. Once it's out of our hands we have no control, as you said.
I know my seller would have done the claim but it was so much easier for me to do it. I had the photos etc. It wasn't a big deal!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I would have confronted the delivery person that left it that way. He/she should have acknowledged in writing the package was ruined when he delivered it. I would have certainly made a complaint. I've never known anyone to get concern from USPS about any package lost or damaged though.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 AM

I agree. I've had two shipments damaged recently. One with USPS and one with FedEx. They were both packed securely but both arrived damaged. The USPS claim was paid promptly but only for the amount of the item. FedEx paid the amount of the item and the shipping. Filing claims for both was quick and easy online. Payment from both was also quick.