Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When I grow up.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-i-grow-up-t199650.html)

ptquilts 09-05-2012 01:53 PM

When I grow up....

the recent thread on toy irons got me thinking about my "wish list" when I was little. I didn't want much, just
A- 64 box of Crayola crayons
B- white go-go boots
C- Easy Bake oven
D- a box of MerriMints all to myself. These were a candy we had at fancy parties, and I was only allowed one or two. I loved them and said, When I grow up I will BUY my own. Wouldn't you know, when I grew up they did not make them any more.

So what did you always want, and did you ever get it?

I did not get anything on my list, but I survived!

barny 09-05-2012 01:56 PM

I was a teen, but I wanted a 5 dollar blouse instead of 1.98. LOL. We couldn't afford it.

charlotte37830 09-05-2012 02:05 PM

I saw a dress in the store window and thought it was the most beautiful dress ever. I wanted it so bad, but my parents couldn't afford it. My grandma went in and looked at it, went home and made one just like it. My grandma could make anything without a pattern, she would look at it and make it. Sure wish I could do that.

nygal 09-05-2012 02:08 PM

I can't think of too much that I wanted and didn't get...but I was a chubby kid and wanted those ruffle midriff tops but they didn't sell them in my size. Plus I could never find my name on a barette since it was not a common name..still isn't.

Elise1 09-05-2012 02:24 PM

I always wanted a dog, even though we had several cats.

My parents divorced when I was 10 and I was allowed to get a dog. In addition to trying to make me happy, I think my mother liked the idea of a security dog. She was nervous about living alone in the 60's with 4 kids.

The dog we chose had a poor temperament, he growled and bit us, (I still have a scar on my leg). I did not get much enjoyment from that dog and I have never wanted another dog.

I am still a HUGE cat lover and have several cats. :p

Lori S 09-05-2012 02:30 PM

I wanted a bike .. the 3 speed "banana seat" bike... I just knew I would be cool if I had that bike.

ufoqueen 09-05-2012 03:25 PM

I always wanted to play the tambarine in the rhythm band, never got to, always had to play the sandpaper sticks.

SouthPStitches 09-05-2012 03:30 PM

OMG, what a trip down memory lane - go-go boots and MerriMints. Wonder if you can order them from the Vermont Country Store catalog?

I wanted a Chatty Cathy in the worse way and got her. I still have her on the shelf in the guest room. Thought of selling her on e-Bay a couple of years ago but couldn't do it. Would be the same as selling a piece of my childhood.

Wanted a tandem bike, that never happened.

Also wanted a visit from the Breast Fairy - still waiting on that one - or two. Swore I was the last girl in the entire junior high not wearing a bra. Finally went to my Mom and said if she was waiting to buy me a bra when I had something to actually put in it, I'd be out of high school, and that it was just plain embarrassing.

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5493401)
the recent thread on toy irons got me thinking about my "wish list" when I was little. I didn't want much, just
A- 64 box of Crayola crayons
B- white go-go boots
C- Easy Bake oven
D- a box of MerriMints all to myself. These were a candy we had at fancy parties, and I was only allowed one or two. I loved them and said, When I grow up I will BUY my own. Wouldn't you know, when I grew up they did not make them any more.

So what did you always want, and did you ever get it?

I did not get anything on my list, but I survived!

QuiltnLady1 09-05-2012 05:31 PM

I wanted one of those outfits where the sweater set and the skirt all matched. I never got the whole thing but I was able to make a skirt to match the sweater set I did save enough to buy.

Chasing Hawk 09-05-2012 05:53 PM

I found these.........Merrimints

http://www.oliverscandies.com/index....merrimints.cfm

Vermont Country Store has them, just type "Merrimints" in the search box. I would have posted the link to it, but it was 5 lines long !!