Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When I grow up....

When I grow up....

the recent thread on toy irons got me thinking about my "wish list" when I was little. I didn't want much, just
    A- 64 box of Crayola crayons
    B- white go-go boots
    C- Easy Bake oven
    D- a box of MerriMints all to myself. These were a candy we had at fancy parties, and I was only allowed one or two. I loved them and said, When I grow up I will BUY my own. Wouldn't you know, when I grew up they did not make them any more.

So what did you always want, and did you ever get it?

I did not get anything on my list, but I survived!

Blog Entries
    I was a teen, but I wanted a 5 dollar blouse instead of 1.98. LOL. We couldn't afford it.

Blog Entries
    I saw a dress in the store window and thought it was the most beautiful dress ever. I wanted it so bad, but my parents couldn't afford it. My grandma went in and looked at it, went home and made one just like it. My grandma could make anything without a pattern, she would look at it and make it. Sure wish I could do that.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I can't think of too much that I wanted and didn't get...but I was a chubby kid and wanted those ruffle midriff tops but they didn't sell them in my size. Plus I could never find my name on a barette since it was not a common name..still isn't.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I always wanted a dog, even though we had several cats.

My parents divorced when I was 10 and I was allowed to get a dog. In addition to trying to make me happy, I think my mother liked the idea of a security dog. She was nervous about living alone in the 60's with 4 kids.

The dog we chose had a poor temperament, he growled and bit us, (I still have a scar on my leg). I did not get much enjoyment from that dog and I have never wanted another dog.

I am still a HUGE cat lover and have several cats.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I wanted a bike .. the 3 speed "banana seat" bike... I just knew I would be cool if I had that bike.

I always wanted to play the tambarine in the rhythm band, never got to, always had to play the sandpaper sticks.

OMG, what a trip down memory lane - go-go boots and MerriMints. Wonder if you can order them from the Vermont Country Store catalog?

I wanted a Chatty Cathy in the worse way and got her. I still have her on the shelf in the guest room. Thought of selling her on e-Bay a couple of years ago but couldn't do it. Would be the same as selling a piece of my childhood.

Wanted a tandem bike, that never happened.

Also wanted a visit from the Breast Fairy - still waiting on that one - or two. Swore I was the last girl in the entire junior high not wearing a bra. Finally went to my Mom and said if she was waiting to buy me a bra when I had something to actually put in it, I'd be out of high school, and that it was just plain embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    the recent thread on toy irons got me thinking about my "wish list" when I was little. I didn't want much, just
    A- 64 box of Crayola crayons
    B- white go-go boots
    C- Easy Bake oven
    D- a box of MerriMints all to myself. These were a candy we had at fancy parties, and I was only allowed one or two. I loved them and said, When I grow up I will BUY my own. Wouldn't you know, when I grew up they did not make them any more.

So what did you always want, and did you ever get it?

I did not get anything on my list, but I survived!

I wanted one of those outfits where the sweater set and the skirt all matched. I never got the whole thing but I was able to make a skirt to match the sweater set I did save enough to buy.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I found these.........Merrimints

http://www.oliverscandies.com/index....merrimints.cfm

Vermont Country Store has them, just type "Merrimints" in the search box. I would have posted the link to it, but it was 5 lines long !!
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Your comment that you waited until you were an adult and they don't make them anymore made me smile, for me it was a 2 sided ice cream cone, not sure I am saying it right - but it was a cone with 2 places, my dad would order it when we would do out for a drive on Sunday afternoon and stop at Dairy Queen. I have trouble with a single but remember thinking when I get bigger I am going to order that. Haven't seen one in since moving out of Kansas in 1962.

I probably wanted alot of things back then now I have forgotten them. I always wanted to get married and have four kids. I got married and still am, 50 years. Had three kids and helped raise a Granddaughter. Always wanted a larger house, never got that only a small house. I've been darn lucky to get just about everything I wanted.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I always wanted a candy red mustang convertible but haver never owned one.

I wanted a 3 speed bike and saved my money for half of it. I wanted a chemistry set, what fun I had!! I wanted a guitar (age 4) but got a Howdy Doody ukelele, still had fun with it.

piney

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I always wanted to take dance lessons when I was little, but had to take piano lessons instead. I always felt I had the "heart" of a dancer. I never could dance much, but I always blame it on my short, chunky legs. I may have the heart of a dancer, but not the legs!

When I was little, I wanted a playhouse out in the backyard. Actually I wanted a very specific playhouse that belonged to a girl who was several years older than I was. It matched their house in miniature & if I close my eyes, I can still see it!

I also wanted the black haired Chatty Cathy (I have dark hair & got tired of all the blond dolls out there). My folks didn't get how important the dark hair was to me & they (OK, "Santa") got me the blond one. I liked her but I still really wanted the one with black hair.
    Last edited by burchquilts; 09-05-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I wanted a bike .. the 3 speed "banana seat" bike... I just knew I would be cool if I had that bike.
    I wanted one, too... a purple one. My Mother said no. My Dad said yes (the only disagreement I ever heard them have). Daddy "won" & I got my bike! I loved it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I probably wanted alot of things back then now I have forgotten them. I always wanted to get married and have four kids. I got married and still am, 50 years. Had three kids and helped raise a Granddaughter. Always wanted a larger house, never got that only a small house. I've been darn lucky to get just about everything I wanted.
    Very nice!!
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I was raised in a junk yard - literally. I can drive most anything. I can also work on a lot of things. What I wanted was a muscle car - a big V-8 with loud pipes and quick acceleration. I have loved fast cars for as long as I can remember. Last year the boys convinced me it was time and I bought a Mustang.

Blog Entries
    when I was four I wanted sissors with points for my birthday and that is all, nothing else, I remember being a real brat about it....I wanted sissors that could cut fabric and embroidery thread not the 'dumb' rounded end ones. My Dad bought me Wiss 7" shears and I still have them. My Mom "tsk,tisked" but I never had to ask her to cut a thread for me again. I still use them almost every day and I will be 73 this month. Sooooo....was that value for the money, or what !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    OMG, what a trip down memory lane - go-go boots and MerriMints. Wonder if you can order them from the Vermont Country Store catalog?

I wanted a Chatty Cathy in the worse way and got her. I still have her on the shelf in the guest room. Thought of selling her on e-Bay a couple of years ago but couldn't do it. Would be the same as selling a piece of my childhood.

Wanted a tandem bike, that never happened.

Also wanted a visit from the Breast Fairy - still waiting on that one - or two. Swore I was the last girl in the entire junior high not wearing a bra. Finally went to my Mom and said if she was waiting to buy me a bra when I had something to actually put in it, I'd be out of high school, and that it was just plain embarrassing.
    Paragraph Four ---- I was a freshman in high school. Mom felt sorry for me - she bought me a pair of "falsies" (this goes back to the 50's gals) and pinned it to my 30A bra. One day I was standing by the library door and everyone was laughing at me and I didn't know why. Shy person that I was, I looked down to see if my pants had fallen down to the floor or something like that - no, one of the falsies had come loose and lodged itself right above my belly button. Could have died right on the spot! Also, I had to make up stories about why I couldn't take a shower in gym class - not only was I the most underdeveloped girl in the whole school, but I was sixteen before "I became a woman". What a day that was! I was complete. I was whole, I still had the smallest boobs in the school, but there I was "I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR" (I didn't roar, because that was in the 50's and women didn't roar in those days!!!) And here I am today, 13 days from 74 years old...I lived, I did get those boobs, actually they are hanging worse than my Mom and she's 96. It's funny thinking back how devastated we were when we didn't get that bike with the banana seat (It was a Schwinn for me) or the Poodle skirt or the matching pullover sweater (no one says that anymore do they) and cardigan. Now it is iPad, iPod, Kindle, Tablet. For me its "Hey, Edie, what would you like for your birthday? - "Fabric", I say. It will never go out of style!!!!!! Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 09-06-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I wanted a pink 'poor boy' shirt when I was 13. When they went on clearance my mom got one for me. I had nothing to wear it with, it shrunk when washed and went totally out of style... at least in our little world.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Paragraph Four ---- I was a freshman in high school. Mom felt sorry for me - she bought me a pair of "falsies" (this goes back to the 50's gals) and pinned it to my 30A bra. One day I was standing by the library door and everyone was laughing at me and I didn't know why. Shy person that I was, I looked down to see if my pants had fallen down to the floor or something like that - no, one of the falsies had come loose and lodged itself right above my belly button. Could have died right on the spot! Also, I had to make up stories about why I couldn't take a shower in gym class - not only was I the most underdeveloped girl in the whole school, but I was sixteen before "I became a woman". What a day that was! I was complete. I was whole, I still had the smallest boobs in the school, but there I was "I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR" (I didn't roar, because that was in the 50's and women didn't roar in those days!!!) And here I am today, 13 days from 74 years old...I lived, I did get those boobs, actually they are hanging worse than my Mom and she's 96. It's funny thinking back how devastated we were when we didn't get that bike with the banana seat (It was a Schwinn for me) or the Poodle skirt or the matching pullover sweater (no one says that anymore do they) and cardigan. Now it is iPad, iPod, Kindle, Tablet. For me its "Hey, Edie, what would you like for your birthday? - "Fabric", I say. It will never go out of style!!!!!! Edie
    I too thought I was the most flat chested in school. We had swimming lessons, you had to wear their swimsuits and they wer colored coded by size. I was the only one in a red swimsuit! The entire class knew what sizw we wore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loriea View Post
    I too thought I was the most flat chested in school. We had swimming lessons, you had to wear their swimsuits and they wer colored coded by size. I was the only one in a red swimsuit! The entire class knew what sizw we wore.
    We used to use two one frontwards and one backwards
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I can't think of anything I ever wanted except a room of my own and peace and quiet so I could read. I was the eldest of 6. And as I got older a home of my own where I stayed in one place. 60 yrs old and that still hasn't happened.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast