When I grow up....

Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
OMG, what a trip down memory lane - go-go boots and MerriMints. Wonder if you can order them from the Vermont Country Store catalog?

I wanted a Chatty Cathy in the worse way and got her. I still have her on the shelf in the guest room. Thought of selling her on e-Bay a couple of years ago but couldn't do it. Would be the same as selling a piece of my childhood.

Wanted a tandem bike, that never happened.

Also wanted a visit from the Breast Fairy - still waiting on that one - or two. Swore I was the last girl in the entire junior high not wearing a bra. Finally went to my Mom and said if she was waiting to buy me a bra when I had something to actually put in it, I'd be out of high school, and that it was just plain embarrassing.
Paragraph Four ---- I was a freshman in high school. Mom felt sorry for me - she bought me a pair of "falsies" (this goes back to the 50's gals) and pinned it to my 30A bra. One day I was standing by the library door and everyone was laughing at me and I didn't know why. Shy person that I was, I looked down to see if my pants had fallen down to the floor or something like that - no, one of the falsies had come loose and lodged itself right above my belly button. Could have died right on the spot! Also, I had to make up stories about why I couldn't take a shower in gym class - not only was I the most underdeveloped girl in the whole school, but I was sixteen before "I became a woman". What a day that was! I was complete. I was whole, I still had the smallest boobs in the school, but there I was "I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR" (I didn't roar, because that was in the 50's and women didn't roar in those days!!!) And here I am today, 13 days from 74 years old...I lived, I did get those boobs, actually they are hanging worse than my Mom and she's 96. It's funny thinking back how devastated we were when we didn't get that bike with the banana seat (It was a Schwinn for me) or the Poodle skirt or the matching pullover sweater (no one says that anymore do they) and cardigan. Now it is iPad, iPod, Kindle, Tablet. For me its "Hey, Edie, what would you like for your birthday? - "Fabric", I say. It will never go out of style!!!!!! Edie

Last edited by Edie; 09-06-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I wanted a pink 'poor boy' shirt when I was 13. When they went on clearance my mom got one for me. I had nothing to wear it with, it shrunk when washed and went totally out of style... at least in our little world.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
Paragraph Four ---- I was a freshman in high school. Mom felt sorry for me - she bought me a pair of "falsies" (this goes back to the 50's gals) and pinned it to my 30A bra. One day I was standing by the library door and everyone was laughing at me and I didn't know why. Shy person that I was, I looked down to see if my pants had fallen down to the floor or something like that - no, one of the falsies had come loose and lodged itself right above my belly button. Could have died right on the spot! Also, I had to make up stories about why I couldn't take a shower in gym class - not only was I the most underdeveloped girl in the whole school, but I was sixteen before "I became a woman". What a day that was! I was complete. I was whole, I still had the smallest boobs in the school, but there I was "I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR" (I didn't roar, because that was in the 50's and women didn't roar in those days!!!) And here I am today, 13 days from 74 years old...I lived, I did get those boobs, actually they are hanging worse than my Mom and she's 96. It's funny thinking back how devastated we were when we didn't get that bike with the banana seat (It was a Schwinn for me) or the Poodle skirt or the matching pullover sweater (no one says that anymore do they) and cardigan. Now it is iPad, iPod, Kindle, Tablet. For me its "Hey, Edie, what would you like for your birthday? - "Fabric", I say. It will never go out of style!!!!!! Edie
I too thought I was the most flat chested in school. We had swimming lessons, you had to wear their swimsuits and they wer colored coded by size. I was the only one in a red swimsuit! The entire class knew what sizw we wore.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by loriea View Post
I too thought I was the most flat chested in school. We had swimming lessons, you had to wear their swimsuits and they wer colored coded by size. I was the only one in a red swimsuit! The entire class knew what sizw we wore.
We used to use two one frontwards and one backwards
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 AM

I can't think of anything I ever wanted except a room of my own and peace and quiet so I could read. I was the eldest of 6. And as I got older a home of my own where I stayed in one place. 60 yrs old and that still hasn't happened.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 AM

I love black olives and one Christmas when I was a kid I received a whole can just for me. I didn't have to share with anyone!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 AM

Always wanted a rocking chair for my Mother, so she could do her cross word puzzles in it. Also a plate full of black licorice, that my brother would get me when he grew up.

Many years after my mother's passing, I finally got a rocking chair and rocked my children in it. Can't help but think of my mother, when I sit in it. I wish it could've been her sitting here.

As for the licorice, I know it will never happen and I'm for sure my brother has long forgotten, but I still wish I could have it.

Sometimes it seems things come to late or they will not happen at all, but that's Ok too. We have memories that no one can take and are fortunate to have them. For some, they don't even have memories to warm their hearts.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 AM

Oh, do I remember two gifts. John Knagy Learn to Draw Kit ....had to send away to a St. Louis TV station to order and a chemistry set. I got both and still have the boxes and remnants. I would spend hours in the barn looking out the door and drawing away, or in the basement brewing up strange concoctions with my little test tubes. Wonder if they had any influence on me being a chemistry and art teacher as an adult? Hummmmm
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 AM

Ahhhh the 64 box of crayons ,that was the ultimate ! I still remember the 48 size box I did get for Christmas I loved that box of crayons , I still remember many of the color names and how well I took care of them. I do now wonder what happened to them. I also wanted a nurse kit . I also remember wanting a new winter coat that did not come from a yard sale or the goodwill , that was a biggie. I also wanted saddle shoes ,or any kind of "modern" shoes I had to wear the old "corrective" shoes maroon or black were the color choices now I feel bad because I can't imagine how much those shoes cost mom and dad and I know they could not afford them.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Since I first heard they existed when I was in second grade, I wanted a basenji
Yes, I got one, then 2, then 3, then....
Same year we had a photo of Mt McKinley, and I've wanted to go to Alaska ever since. We've been married almost 31 years, and that's where we went for our 25th wedding anniversary

Last edited by RugosaB; 09-06-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added more