When I grow up....

Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM

I always asked for a pony. Every year birthday and Christmas that was my wish. I got the entire Dale Evans outfit, hat, shirt, skirt with fringes, hat, and two six shooters with holsters but no pony. The other thing was Roman sandals. Anyone remember them? Didn't get them either but it didn't matter. My parents got me so many nice things. Sure do miss those days.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I never had the nerve to even wish for a pony. I do remember a friend and I riding our bikes to a place out in the country a ways - the man had an old horse and an old Civil War army saddle - had a hole in it. He used to lead us around the yard - we thought we died and went to heaven. Then one of the boys from church had a horse and would take me riding behind him. That didn't last very long... we moved. Then a friend of mine had a horse and let me ride it - it started to rain - I lost the reins and got thrown off the horse when it bolted. I was ok but my pride was hurt and we moved again. I never did get good at it. I kind of think the muscles would complain if I thought about it now.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM

I've always wanted a 1955 (or 56 or 57) Thunderbird. Still do. When I was a young married there was a man making replicas for the 25th anniversary. I would have been happy with one of those. My mother saw the report on the Today show about his work. She cautioned everyone not to tell me about them because "Kathy would sell her soul for one of those." She was right, but I couldn't find any buyers. LOL
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM

I want Be a Kid when I grow Up! HeHeHe LOL
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Truth is up to the age of 5 all I ever asked for was a Tiny Tears doll each Xmas got one every time! sure wish I had kept just one for a keepsake.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I've always wanted a 1955 (or 56 or 57) Thunderbird. Still do. When I was a young married there was a man making replicas for the 25th anniversary. I would have been happy with one of those. My mother saw the report on the Today show about his work. She cautioned everyone not to tell me about them because "Kathy would sell her soul for one of those." She was right, but I couldn't find any buyers. LOL
my BIL has one - gets lousy mileage and takes expensive gas
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM

I wanted a piano, which I never got. My parents didn't think I would stick with lessons and they couldn't afford to spend that much money on the instrument, lessons, etc and then I drop it in a few months. Today I have a Yamaha digital keyboard and I'm trying to teach myself to play at almost 53! Wish my mother was here to see it

I always wanted was a matching bedroom suite. I remember practically drooling over the antique white suite in the Sears and/or Penney's catalog. No way were my parents going to buy new furniture, but my mother refinished everything in my room in antique white! Even her cedar chest because it was in my room. After my parents were gone, I had that cedar chest restored to it's original finish and it is gorgeous! I look at it and am amazed that Mother was actually willing to paint over that finish just because it was what I wanted. My refinishing guy is amazing, and I love the job he did, but if you look very, very closely, you can still see a little of that white paint in the grain of the wood. It actually makes me smile to see that remembering that my dear, wonderful Mother loved me that much.

I also always wanted a Barbie doll house and never got one. But, when my niece was around 8, I bought her one and that probably brought me more joy than having one would have when I was a child.

This is a great thread! Thanks for posting it! I've really enjoyed reading the responses. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I wanted a jeep and a tatoo sin e i was four. I got my first tatoo at 16, then my sons name ryan
Over my heart 12 yrs ago. Lat year for our anni ersary, i got a tiny cat one on the right side and a tiny paw print smaller than a dime on my back shoulder. I thought of getting a needle and thread on my back...9 neck and back surgeriea...i have a weird sense of humor. I still want a jeep but wontget one due to bad gas mileage.
oh, and i always wanted to eat pizza for breakfast, and i do.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 PM

No, I never did get the things that I dreamed of, but Momma said when pigs fly, I would get it. I'm still waiting.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM

The only thing I remember wanting that I never got was a sister. My mother assured me that it just wasn't going to happen, but I thought maybe I'd get lucky and God would just send me one straight from Heaven. He sent me cousins and precious friends, who are like sisters, but no real blood sister. I finally broke down and told my Dad that since he is 82, I am willing to pass on the baby sister. He said that sure took a lot off of his mind! LOL