When I grow up....

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM

My very own Barbie doll - and a stuffed animal. Never got one. I got 2 stuffed teddy bears several years ago after 2 surgeries. They are kept on the spare bed and my grandchildren know they are mine! When I told my then 8 year old granddaughter I had never had my own stuffed animal she was was amazed and said she would help take good care of mine for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell View Post
I wanted a piano, which I never got. My parents didn't think I would stick with lessons and they couldn't afford to spend that much money on the instrument, lessons, etc and then I drop it in a few months. Today I have a Yamaha digital keyboard and I'm trying to teach myself to play at almost 53! Wish my mother was here to see it

I always wanted was a matching bedroom suite. I remember practically drooling over the antique white suite in the Sears and/or Penney's catalog. No way were my parents going to buy new furniture, but my mother refinished everything in my room in antique white! Even her cedar chest because it was in my room. After my parents were gone, I had that cedar chest restored to it's original finish and it is gorgeous! I look at it and am amazed that Mother was actually willing to paint over that finish just because it was what I wanted. My refinishing guy is amazing, and I love the job he did, but if you look very, very closely, you can still see a little of that white paint in the grain of the wood. It actually makes me smile to see that remembering that my dear, wonderful Mother loved me that much.

I also always wanted a Barbie doll house and never got one. But, when my niece was around 8, I bought her one and that probably brought me more joy than having one would have when I was a child.

This is a great thread! Thanks for posting it! I've really enjoyed reading the responses. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.
Like you, I always wanted to learn to play the piano, but parents could not afford one nor did I have a ride to and from the lessons. At 67, I have a keyboard and now a nice electric organ that I am learning to play. It has the automatic chords which I love and at 70 years of age, I don't do too bad on it.

I have had fun reading all the childhood wishes in this thread.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM

I wanted nice clothes like the other girls. We were very poor and wore hand me downs. I made it without those clothes and am a stronger better person cause I learned how to make do with anything.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 PM

I remember the year I wanted a large walking doll the 3 year old type my mom had put one in layway and was talking about a talking doll I said but babies don;t talk! she took it out of layaway and got me one that didn't talk. little did I know that three year olds talk alot!! Her name was Linda
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by lovingmama View Post
Always wanted a rocking chair for my Mother, so she could do her cross word puzzles in it. Also a plate full of black licorice, that my brother would get me when he grew up.

Many years after my mother's passing, I finally got a rocking chair and rocked my children in it. Can't help but think of my mother, when I sit in it. I wish it could've been her sitting here.

As for the licorice, I know it will never happen and I'm for sure my brother has long forgotten, but I still wish I could have it.

Sometimes it seems things come to late or they will not happen at all, but that's Ok too. We have memories that no one can take and are fortunate to have them. For some, they don't even have memories to warm their hearts.
I have been craving licorice all summer, but couldn't find it in the stores. Finally found some in a
$$$Store, brought it home and hid it in my stash. Heard something on the TV and so I googled it, the brand of licorice I bought is being recalled. I am not turning it in, at my age I am not afraid of a little lead. I just want to keep it away from the dgks.

Last edited by nanOmint; 09-07-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM

I wanted my own white roller skates. We used to go to the neighborhood roller rink every Friday. Only a few kids had their own skates. The rest of us rented them. They were black. I didn't ask for a pair when Mom asked us what we each wanted for Christmas every year because I have five brothers and I just knew that my parents couldn't afford new skates for me. I didn't want them to feel bad about it. Oh how I would have loved to have had a white pair of skates all my own that no one else could wear. Other than that, I always wanted books. Even as a little girl, I was allowed to walk to the library with my best friend and check out as many as I wanted. That was a Joy to me.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
When I was little, I wanted a playhouse out in the backyard. Actually I wanted a very specific playhouse that belonged to a girl who was several years older than I was. It matched their house in miniature & if I close my eyes, I can still see it!

I also wanted the black haired Chatty Cathy (I have dark hair & got tired of all the blond dolls out there). My folks didn't get how important the dark hair was to me & they (OK, "Santa") got me the blond one. I liked her but I still really wanted the one with black hair.
I had a blond Chatty Cathy and I have dark hair. I never thought about it, but most of the dolls were blonds. Weird.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 PM

I had to share a bed with my bed hog sister. I always wanted my own bed. When I got married I had to share. Again! Luckily my DH was a light sleeper because I found out I snore! So...I got my own bed...in my own room even! Then, my doctor said C-Pap. I love it because now, I don't snore and I have my own bed in my own room! Dreams do come true. LOL
Old 09-08-2012, 02:46 PM

I can't remember anything that I really wanted when I was little.
I had the world to travel (army brat) My big sister coulden't go with us over seas because our grandpa wouldn't let her come with us. (really mean)
But she did visit us one summer in alabama then virginia. I think daddy did pretty good for us kids
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Sorry the Breast Fairy didn't come see you, but be happy now because the large gifts from her don't holdup well. Ask me how I know this.