Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When something jogs a memory (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-something-jogs-memory-t70012.html)

cjomomma 10-13-2010 05:42 PM

I'm sitting here eating Graham crackers crumbled in milk and it brought back a memory of my grandpa and the things he ate. There was always boiled potatoes and corn bread with dinner at their home. After dinner my DGP would have a glass of butter milk with the corn bread crumbled in it. I can't remember the last time I thought about that, he has been gone for over 20 years and I still miss him and grandma. Do you all have little things that bring back fond memories of family that are long gone?

DebraK 10-13-2010 05:44 PM

my great grandma liked soda crackers crumbled in buttermilk. Your post made me think of that ;-)

cjomomma 10-13-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
my great grandma like soda crackers crumbled in buttermilk. Your post made me think of that ;-)

Oh gosh! Mine ate that too.

Quilting Di 10-13-2010 05:48 PM

My grandpa had a glass of milk and 2 squares of graham crackers every night before turning in. Aaaahhhh....memories. ;-)

Charlee 10-13-2010 05:48 PM

I eat both cornbread and crackers in milk...but I go for sweet milk and not buttermilk... :)

Grew up eating them, as did my dad...

Oh...and white gravy on baked squash!!

C.Cal Quilt Girl 10-13-2010 05:53 PM

Had a Great Aunt, would have Buttered Toast and Milk.

Think cornbread and B-milk were a standard. :)

On Squash.... Hum, Hard Fried eggs, saving the jelly for the bisquit:)

cjomomma 10-13-2010 05:55 PM

The memories are flooding me now. Thank you for the posts.

Woodster 10-13-2010 05:57 PM

When I see a box of Wheaties, I think of my grandfather (my Mom's Dad). He ate a bowl of wheaties EVERY morning along with a piece of toast (the last corner he always gave to his dog), a glass of OJ, and a cup of coffee in which he would pour the leftover Wheaties milk into (gag). If the coffee was too hot, he'd pour it in his saucer and drink it from that. (My Dad's mom did the saucer thing, too).

Ramona Byrd 10-13-2010 06:01 PM

I remember my Grandpa bringing home some plain, square soda crackers and crumbling them in sweet milk.

Sometimes on Sundays we had "catch up" for dinner (supper) and
I would always choose sweet cornbread (not made with soda but sugar) and sweet milk. All crumbled up, it was a satisfying meal
for the end of day. Grandma would make it in an iron skillet she heated first on the stove, added some lard and then poured the cornbread mix in and hurried it into the oven. It came out round and brown with crisp top and bottom and sides. Lovely and crunchy!! Even better next day warmed up and spread with butter and honey.

janRN 10-13-2010 06:06 PM

I laugh when I go out to dinner and see "olive oil and crusty bread for dipping". My grandfather (a real Italian patriarch) had fresh, home-made crusty bread which he dipped in olive oil every night. And he lived to be 99!! He also dipped bread in his coffee.
Thanks for this thread-I like reading about people's grandparents and remembering mine.