Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When something jogs a memory

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I'm sitting here eating Graham crackers crumbled in milk and it brought back a memory of my grandpa and the things he ate. There was always boiled potatoes and corn bread with dinner at their home. After dinner my DGP would have a glass of butter milk with the corn bread crumbled in it. I can't remember the last time I thought about that, he has been gone for over 20 years and I still miss him and grandma. Do you all have little things that bring back fond memories of family that are long gone?

my great grandma liked soda crackers crumbled in buttermilk. Your post made me think of that ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    my great grandma like soda crackers crumbled in buttermilk. Your post made me think of that ;-)
    Oh gosh! Mine ate that too.

My grandpa had a glass of milk and 2 squares of graham crackers every night before turning in. Aaaahhhh....memories. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I eat both cornbread and crackers in milk...but I go for sweet milk and not buttermilk... :)

Grew up eating them, as did my dad...

Oh...and white gravy on baked squash!!

Had a Great Aunt, would have Buttered Toast and Milk.

Think cornbread and B-milk were a standard. :)

On Squash.... Hum, Hard Fried eggs, saving the jelly for the bisquit:)

Blog Entries
    The memories are flooding me now. Thank you for the posts.

When I see a box of Wheaties, I think of my grandfather (my Mom's Dad). He ate a bowl of wheaties EVERY morning along with a piece of toast (the last corner he always gave to his dog), a glass of OJ, and a cup of coffee in which he would pour the leftover Wheaties milk into (gag). If the coffee was too hot, he'd pour it in his saucer and drink it from that. (My Dad's mom did the saucer thing, too).

Blog Entries
    I remember my Grandpa bringing home some plain, square soda crackers and crumbling them in sweet milk.

Sometimes on Sundays we had "catch up" for dinner (supper) and
    I would always choose sweet cornbread (not made with soda but sugar) and sweet milk. All crumbled up, it was a satisfying meal
    for the end of day. Grandma would make it in an iron skillet she heated first on the stove, added some lard and then poured the cornbread mix in and hurried it into the oven. It came out round and brown with crisp top and bottom and sides. Lovely and crunchy!! Even better next day warmed up and spread with butter and honey.

I laugh when I go out to dinner and see "olive oil and crusty bread for dipping". My grandfather (a real Italian patriarch) had fresh, home-made crusty bread which he dipped in olive oil every night. And he lived to be 99!! He also dipped bread in his coffee.
    Thanks for this thread-I like reading about people's grandparents and remembering mine.

Blog Entries
    You are not going to believe this, but I very rarely eat graham crackers because they are addicting. I just finished eating some (okay a lot) and read your topic. Small world.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Foods and other scents bring back more memories for me than anything else.
    I just love it !!
    My beloved Dad always ate crusty Italian bread with his breakfast but never toasted or buttered. And good Italian bread gets stale quickly!! He didn't care.
    He didn't cook but at night he would slice from the loaf and put a banana in it. So funny.
    The smell of sauce cooking whether I make it or my DH always smells like being home as a child ( or my Gram's, aunts, etc :)

My mom used to crumble saltines on vanilla ice cream. I still do that once in a while.

When roasting meat, my Nan would put big slices of bread in the bubbling pan juices, sprinkle with salt and we'd eat it straight away. I always liked the heel (the end bit) still do. Thanks for the memory trip.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the postings, I am loving this. Yes I do read each and everyone that gets posted.

Every day grampa would open up a biscuit and put it on a plate. He'd slather on 1/2 a cube of butter, jam, Karo syrup and sugar!!! YIP -- turns your stomach, doesn't it....LOL He didn't have diabetis, he didn't have a weight problem and he died at 85!!!!

My Uncle Wally ate potato pancakes for almost every meal, and I still remember how good they smelled when they cooked!
    His wife made the best strawberry freezer jam.....they were our neighbors, so us kids were always there, and I always asked for her jam!

Every time I see Lilacs I remember home and Mom. They were her favorite flower and the 'side porch' had them from front to back and were the shade during the summer.

Sometimes my mom would eat cornbread crumbled in milk, too. But sometimes she would take dark Karo syrup and mix some with butter on her plate and drag her cornbread through that, too...kinda like a dessert at the end of the meal, since we rarely had "sweets".

Wow...things I haven't thought of in 40+ years. LOL

Sunday mornings my Grandfather would walk to the Jewish Bakery and bring back fresh Jewish Rye Bread, and Grandma would make me the forbidden cup of Coffee with bread and homemade butter!!! MMMMMmmmmmm

My Grandpa had a tablespoon of whiskey every morning in a glass with a teaspoon of sugar, a shot of Real Lemon and a shot of water. He said it was his "Starter." He had one each night before bed too. He said that one was his "Quiter." LOL Grandpa didn't drink any more than that---two carefully measured tablespoons of whiskey a day. He lived to be 86 yrs old. Grandma ate her Cheerios with sweetened coffee on them. I tried it once but only that one time---gag! This thread jogged that memory. But it took me clear back to their old kitchen table and I could even smell the fire in the wood cook stove.

My Mamaw would crumble cornbread in the milk and save it to eat at bedtime. My Papaw was so funny, he knew a million jokes and would get tickled as he was telling them. They have both been gone for many years but I often think of them.

During WWII cornbread with buttermilk was our supper many days. Yes, it brings back memories.

I love everything mentioned here. Graham crackers and milk, soda crackers and milk, and cornbread crumbled up in buttermilk or "sweet milk". I even used to like dark karo mixed with butter on cornbread or biscuits when I was a kid. I seldom have any of these treats now, but reading all these posts makes me think I will sure have some soon.

Blog Entries
    My dad's dad liked to think of himself as a tea connossieur. He had quite a collection of differant teas and people would send him tea. I learned the differance between all the differant kinds of teas. He used to make me green tea every morning in a little aluminum tea pot that was shaped like a coffee pot. It had a metal "egg" that hung down in the center inside and had holes in it. That is where the tea leaves went. So I still drink alot of green tea hot. My grandma(Dad's mom) would fry eggs sunny side up and then put them on a plate. She then cut them into bite sized pieces and crumbled bread into that stirring it together. This was a common thing to do for little kids when my grandma was growing up. I still eat this from time to time for breakfast.

My Mom's dad always ate sugar on his cottage cheese and I cannot eat it any other way!! Everyone thinks I am crazy but it is really good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast