Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Why would anyone do this to their feet?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/why-would-anyone-do-their-feet-t206548.html)

whatever 11-21-2012 08:05 AM

I use to take a 10 wide now its a 11 wide due to my little toes try and find a casual shoe or dress shoe that is decent looking. If i was younger I would consider this. wish someone would have mentioned it back then.

Stitchit123 11-21-2012 09:33 AM

that gave me shaky shivers down my spine If some one was to try this on me they better come with a few platoons of big burly gun totin Marines. I use to wear some pretty steeped spikes but once I got over being self conscious of my lack of hgt I went for tenny shoes. Even tho I still suffer from lack of hgt I have conquered it with a step stool

JoanneS 11-21-2012 09:53 AM

Yuck! is the only thing I can think of!

LoupEsprit 11-21-2012 10:21 AM

I would honestly do something like this if I could afford it, or if insurance would cover it.

My pinky toes (especially on my right foot) push up over my next toe. (DH says they're 'humping' :shock:) It is really hard to find comfortable shoes, even sneakers. I try them on, they seem fine, but after a day in them, I have blisters/pain.

For me, the Dr said they need to cut the tendon along the outside of my foot, break the pinky toe and re-set it differently, and stretch/re-attach it differently. I haven't done it simply because insurance won't cover it, and I won't even ASK how much it is without!

quiltsRfun 11-21-2012 10:42 AM

I have the problem of my second toe being longer than the big toe. And my left foot is half a size longer than the right. Makes finding a pair of shoes that fit both feet a challenge but I don't think I'd consider a surgical solution.

CindyA 11-21-2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5670931)
high heels are so awful for a womens health, don't know why women wear them. It can't be for men because I got plenty without them. I never got the fashion/trendy thing either. why go out of the way to look like everyone else doing the same thing

I agree! Never understood why women buy into this and don't recognize the potential damage being done to feet. Someone mentioned the Chinese foot binding. I believe the book is Snowflower and the Secret Fan (very different than the movie version). Good read, tragic phenomenon.

patchsamkim 11-21-2012 08:17 PM

I can't imagine doing anything like that to my feet...and I also have no urge to wear high heels. I wear shoes for comfort, not looks. I have seen many people look (at least to me) very uncomfortable trying to walk in heels. Why do that to yourself?? I worry about the future of their feet as they age.

teacherbailey 11-22-2012 04:13 AM

Tiny feet

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 5670891)
I remember reading that somewhere. Whatever happened to being yourself?....flaws and all

I wonder who thought of that about Chinese women.....Someone sitting around looking at feet and thinking....Wow, I find tiny feet appealing.........I know......Let's bind little baby girls feet up and keep them that way for their entire life. Maybe others will find this attractive too......:0

I read somewhere that tiny feet were considered beautiful and royal. The peasants started doing it too, not realizing the problems it caused later on.....I'll take my size 11 "boats" any day over that!!!!

teacherbailey 11-22-2012 04:15 AM

My daughter wears a 12 and used to buy her dress or nicer shoes at Payless Shoes....they usually have a decent selection of 11's and 12's. Not the best quality but they are comfortable and wear a good while. They have lots of wides, too.

orangeroom 11-22-2012 04:28 AM

I wouldn't. I remember looking at my step sister's feet years ago. She wore heels all the time and/or shoes that were in the same shape. Her feet formed (rather I think deformed) to that same shape, where her big toe pointed away from the midline of the body. I've always had a job/career where I was on my feet and comfort was more of a necessity rather than 'look at my beautiful shoes' career, (waitress or in a hospital).