Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wild Animals Loose in Ohio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wild-animals-loose-ohio-t161509.html)

plainpat 10-19-2011 03:05 AM

We live less than 3 miles from the farm where the animals were kept.Lions, tigers,bears & wolves are on the loose. Schools all closed & ppl are told to stay inside.Scary stuff!

QUILTNMO 10-19-2011 03:14 AM

oh gosh please be careful

AlwaysQuilting 10-19-2011 03:24 AM

I just heard about it on the Today show. I'm about 50miles from Zanesville and some of those animals roam farther than that in the wild.
I'm glad they closed the schools. Be safe!

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 03:53 AM

pretty scary. stay safe

dd 10-19-2011 04:04 AM

So sad they are killing some of the animals. Too bad they can't tranquilize them all. I was stunned to hear the owner was recently release from jail on animal abuse charges. Hope everyone in the area is safe.

AlwaysQuilting 10-19-2011 04:09 AM

I just saw Jack Hanna, Columbus Zoo director emeritus, is on the scene helping to decide whether to tranquilize or shoot each animal. He stated they will capture if possible, but human life comes first.
Luckily he says all the rain we're getting might be helping to keep the animals from going too far. He thinks they're hunkered down trying to keep dry, but it also makes it more difficult to find them.
I also wish they would not kill any of them and the owner should not have been allowed to have these beautiful creatures.
I wonder if he opened all the cages himself before he died?
This had "a disaster waiting to happen" written all over it.

redquilter 10-19-2011 04:12 AM

I just heard about it on the news. Very scary. Glad they closed the schools. I feel badly that the animals have been killed. It's not their fault, but human life comes first. Too bad they can't tranquilize them. Didn't know the owner had been jailed for animal abuse. Hope everyone is safe and this ends soon.

Sewfine 10-19-2011 04:15 AM

I saw it on the 3 am news this morning. Please be careful and stay inside as adviced by the police.

Edit to add: Why are people allow to keep many wild animals in a residential neighborhood. Could that be why his wife left him?

jbud2 10-19-2011 04:18 AM

I wonder why close the schools - at least the kids are not home alone and maybe wanting to go outside and play! But then, these kids may have to wait for the bus a bit away from their homes. my kid's bus stop was at the bottom of our drive and I could see it from the house but I could never out run a lion if he approached!

muddlingabout 10-19-2011 04:21 AM

Stupid - state law allowing exotic animals to be kept on private property, even back yards, then not requiring any sort of plan to be in place for the event of escape. Tragic for the animals that have been killed because they behaved like wild animals. Certainly hope no additional people are injured.