Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Animals Loose in Ohio

Blog Entries
    We live less than 3 miles from the farm where the animals were kept.Lions, tigers,bears & wolves are on the loose. Schools all closed & ppl are told to stay inside.Scary stuff!

Power Poster
    oh gosh please be careful

Blog Entries
    I just heard about it on the Today show. I'm about 50miles from Zanesville and some of those animals roam farther than that in the wild.
    I'm glad they closed the schools. Be safe!

Blog Entries
    pretty scary. stay safe

dd
    So sad they are killing some of the animals. Too bad they can't tranquilize them all. I was stunned to hear the owner was recently release from jail on animal abuse charges. Hope everyone in the area is safe.

Blog Entries
    I just saw Jack Hanna, Columbus Zoo director emeritus, is on the scene helping to decide whether to tranquilize or shoot each animal. He stated they will capture if possible, but human life comes first.
    Luckily he says all the rain we're getting might be helping to keep the animals from going too far. He thinks they're hunkered down trying to keep dry, but it also makes it more difficult to find them.
    I also wish they would not kill any of them and the owner should not have been allowed to have these beautiful creatures.
    I wonder if he opened all the cages himself before he died?
    This had "a disaster waiting to happen" written all over it.

I just heard about it on the news. Very scary. Glad they closed the schools. I feel badly that the animals have been killed. It's not their fault, but human life comes first. Too bad they can't tranquilize them. Didn't know the owner had been jailed for animal abuse. Hope everyone is safe and this ends soon.

I saw it on the 3 am news this morning. Please be careful and stay inside as adviced by the police.

Edit to add: Why are people allow to keep many wild animals in a residential neighborhood. Could that be why his wife left him?

I wonder why close the schools - at least the kids are not home alone and maybe wanting to go outside and play! But then, these kids may have to wait for the bus a bit away from their homes. my kid's bus stop was at the bottom of our drive and I could see it from the house but I could never out run a lion if he approached!

Stupid - state law allowing exotic animals to be kept on private property, even back yards, then not requiring any sort of plan to be in place for the event of escape. Tragic for the animals that have been killed because they behaved like wild animals. Certainly hope no additional people are injured.

Blog Entries
    i dont like the idea of hurting animals, however, I would keep a gun near me for safety purposes! I heard that on the Fox radio channel. Stay safe!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    this has amazed me and frightened me for those close by. Jack Hanna, Director Emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, world known for his animal rights ect.. agreed with Sheriff office to put down animals.. "..Night time and large preditor cats do not mix well with populated areas. Now can choose differantly since daylight." Paraphrased...
    I would not want to stand and wait for a school bus with my little one.
    Pat. you are so close. Scary ! Grizzlys on list too. For real? I do remember seeing the camels while driving through Zanesville I 70 along a tall hill next to interstate. Wonder if same farm. Advising those in area of search "Stay inside" another county is part of search now.
    wow.

It is on the news here in Chicago, too...I have a friend with a horse farm very close to Zanesville. She is keeping her babies close.

Heard about that this morning. Please be safe and I hope that they can round up the animals quickly.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    We are about 15 miles from the site. Kind of scary! Very odd this morning to have to check my back yard for lions, tigers and bears before leaving the house. Behind our house are miles and miles of forest that ends up fairly close to the site. This is crazy!

My thoughts are with the LEOs who are the ones having to shoot the animals. One of our students is the fiance of one of the State Troopers who had to shoot one of them. She said he is traumatized by the whole thing!

That is back home for me...my son called me from Arkansas and asked me about it..I hadn't seen it at the time. I just wish that the animals didn't have to be killed. They are wild animals, noone should keep them as 'pets' it's not their fault! So sad and scary!!

Quote Originally Posted by muddlingabout
    Stupid - state law allowing exotic animals to be kept on private property, even back yards, then not requiring any sort of plan to be in place for the event of escape. Tragic for the animals that have been killed because they behaved like wild animals. Certainly hope no additional people are injured.
    It is stupid to allow any wild animals to be kept on private property, PERIOD.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    News is reporting now that it is believed that the owner released the animals himself, then shot himself.

I hope they can round them up soon. That's scary.

My husband just told me about that. Stay safe, stay home and quilt till they are all caught again. Yikes!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I feel sorry for the animals...sad to lose so many over stupid HUMAN carelessness! Sadder yet that if there were a Prison break nobody would order to shoot to kill...

Blog Entries
    They just said that you can't tranquilize(sp) at night, so the sheriff had no choice but to shoot them. There are some leopards and some primates that have been captured and they are trying to transport them. The laws in Ohio allowed him to have the animals, but they are quickly trying to change the laws. The wife is on her way back to help the authorities.

Blog Entries
    Latest update on TV news

They think all but 3 animals are either caged or dead.They are not sure yet.They said a mountain lion,grizzly bear & monkey/s are still loose.We have rain today & this area has a lot of forest.Very hard to see any animal that doesn't want to be found.
    There will be another update later this afternoon.No one hurt so far & that's a blessing.

Just heard that the owner let the animals out and then killed himself, as many charges were pending against him...
    Very sad...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Latest update on TV news

They think all but 3 animals are either caged or dead.They are not sure yet.They said a mountain lion,grizzly bear & monkey/s are still loose.We have rain today & this area has a lot of forest.Very hard to see any animal that doesn't want to be found.
    There will be another update later this afternoon.No one hurt so far & that's a blessing.
    Thank you for the update.

I feel really bad for the guy who did this. Seems he was angry at someone/something and decided this was his best way to "get back".

This whole thing is really a shame. Though I am glad no one has been injured so far, it sure has created quite a mess in the area.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast