Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows 10 question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-10-question-t276367.html)

jodypeabod 03-04-2016 10:04 AM

Windows 10 question...

For those of you that use Windows 10, how do you like it compared to 8 or 7? Was it hard to learn and do you wish you hadn't switched?

ManiacQuilter2 03-04-2016 10:15 AM

Wish I could help you but I haven't switched and still running XP with no regrets.

crafty pat 03-04-2016 10:35 AM

I am still on windows vista and have been notified by Google that they will stop serving Vista soon. I am terrible on the computer and will have to buy a new one as this one is about to go as it is so old. My DD has worked with just about every thing on computers and when I ask her what I was going to do she told me the 10 will be much easier to learn than the others. I sure hope she is right.

GEMRM 03-04-2016 11:12 AM

I have Windows 10 since July 2015 when it came out. I love it and have no problems with it - I can from Windows 7 on my little one.
However, my husband, who is using Vista on an old laptop didn't like 10 on his new one.
In any event, they will be discontinuing support for 7,8 and Vista and that isn't a good thing.
The upgrade to 10 is free still but that will change too, I think in the summer sometime.

nativetexan 03-04-2016 12:40 PM

got that on my monitor again today. it also said Internet fee may be required. and that they have virus protection. Still not sure I want it.

Jan in VA 03-04-2016 12:45 PM

I worried about moving to Win 10 as well, but at the death of my older laptop and the purchase of the new Lenovo, I was forced to accept it. So I took the new laptop to my "repair" guru and asked him to set the opening page/desk top to look as its older versions did because I was familiar with that. He did, and what a help it has been for me.

I have slowly gotten used to what "apps" are and can do (I'm still on a basic, non-smart phone so am techno challenged in that department), and have learned to use them more and more. But having this desktop help saved me the angst and frustration of having to learn it all right away in order to enjoy my email, facebook, boards, and searches.

In my opinion it would be better to make the change now rather than wait even longer before you do, and have even more difference to deal with. Good luck.

Jan in VA

oh munner 03-04-2016 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7484067)
got that on my monitor again today. it also said Internet fee may be required. and that they have virus protection. Still not sure I want it.

I just dropped my computer off this morning for the annual tune up and to get my new virus protection installed. I asked the service tech about Windows 10 and he told me not to bother. He said it's not a "one size fits all" upgrade and you can really do a number on your computer if it doesn't work properly. Guess I'll stick with what I have.

Libster 03-04-2016 01:30 PM

I have Windows 10 on my notebook. I like it much better than Windows 8 and 8.1. I upgraded when it first came out. I've had no trouble with it at all.

cashs_mom 03-04-2016 01:34 PM

I haven't switched yet and won't for a while. I've learned with other "upgrades" to new versions that while the new version might work just fine, if you have older websites or programs that you use they may or may not work with the Windows. I'm planning to just wait until all the bugs are out of Windows 10 and the other programs I use have caught up with it before I upgrade. Hmmmm . . . that reminds me. I wonder if my wireless mouse will be compatible with Windows 10? I've had it for a couple years so there will probably be a 50/50 chance that it won't work. Darn!

tessagin 03-04-2016 02:13 PM

I hate the change coming but until our realty board changes I'm staying where I'm at.